Zeus rear brake disc conversion

Cornish Rattler

Good to see it coming along now.  Nice that they put the discs on the right side of the hub flanges - LR were bloody stupid doing it the way they did, needing a hub strip to replace a disc.   Do the callipers need new brake lines?

9 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Good to see it coming along now.  Nice that they put the discs on the right side of the hub flanges - LR were bloody stupid doing it the way they did, needing a hub strip to replace a disc.   Do the callipers need new brake lines?

They came with new brake pipes but as the kit is a direct copy of the front kit the pipes was too short so had to make new ones up 🙂

So to fit that kit is it remove the drum backplate, fit the calliper bracket, fit the disc with extended studs and then fit the calliper?

Have you had to remake the rigid pipe from the T piece on the rear axle for both callipers?

Everything else standard Series?

2 minutes ago, Bigj66 said:

So to fit that kit is it remove the drum backplate, fit the calliper bracket, fit the disc with extended studs and then fit the calliper?

Have you had to remake the rigid pipe from the T piece on the rear axle for both callipers?

Everything else standard Series?

Yes its as simple as that, the hard part is swapping the studs over but thats not hard really tbh 😃

Well i've been out all day in the landy covered over 100 miles and the brakes are great but what i have noticed is under normal braking if feels like the just front brakes are working but if i pump the pedal just once it then feels like all the brakes are working so i'm not sure if there is still some air in the system or if i do need a bigger master cylinder so i will give it another bleed at the weekend and see.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 12:52 PM, Arjan said:

Easy fitting :

afbeelding.png.086aa6711b141d0c859d606a477f196d.png

afbeelding.png.670babd18c6fe535dcd437c3b2e92ced.png

Arjan, what setup are you using for master cylinder, are you using a servo and or do you have a compansator valve fitted, just trying to find out what i'm missing if re-bleeding the brakes doesn't work 😉

All i'm using is a series universal master cylinder that can be used for either a brake or clutch master cylinder, no servo or compensator valve fitted.

Edited by Cornish Rattler

Goedeavond,

TTBOMK I have the standard Series LWB MBC with servo off a 109"export as we initially had the bigger drum up front set up.

afbeelding.png.a4bf15dbf48e7e3469ed6cceeeff4949.png

No bias valve.

13 hours ago, Cornish Rattler said:

Unless i go with the single line servo and S3 single line master cylinder 🙂

I very strongly suggest swapping to a dual circuit master cylinder. My heavily laden 1959 109 suffered total brake failure at speed downhill on a track in Tanzania. A brake pipe fractured on the back axle causing loss of braking on all 4 wheels due to the single circuit. A scary descent for the 4 of us into a dry river bed using very gentle use of the hand brake to slow us a bit. Using the hand (transmission)brake at speed can snap the half shafts and cause total loss of control particularly if you have Rover axles as opposed to a Salisbury. We were lucky the river bed was wide, dry and sandy and that we didn't hit anything.

Regards, Diff. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Diff said:

I very strongly suggest swapping to a dual circuit master cylinder. My heavily laden 1959 109 suffered total brake failure at speed downhill on a track in Tanzania. A brake pipe fractured on the back axle causing loss of braking on all 4 wheels due to the single circuit. A scary descent for the 4 of us into a dry river bed using very gentle use of the hand brake to slow us a bit. Using the hand (transmission)brake at speed can snap the half shafts and cause total loss of control particularly if you have Rover axles as opposed to a Salisbury. We were lucky the river bed was wide, dry and sandy and that we didn't hit anything.

Regards, Diff. 

Ok 

50 minutes ago, Diff said:

Regards, Diff. 

Agreed, seems a bit daft to upgrade your braking system by fitting discs, and then to not have possibly the simplest braking safety upgrade in there as well!

Thanks guys for all this info but i just want to see if there is any air in the system first, just waiting for a brake bleeder to arrive as me and son bled the brakes but i don't always have him to hand so once it comes i will give them another bleed, i will also check that the rod on the master cylinder doesn't need adjusting and if that doesn't sort it then i will look into replacing the master cylinder to a better one and a servo and servo pedal box 🙂