Inertia Switch

Bigj66

Can anyone recommend a generic inertia switch that I can retrofit to my V8 conversion to shut down the fuel pump in the event of a shunt? One that can be manually reset rather than linked to other vehicle systems.

Are they normally mounted on the bulkhead?

11 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

from your discription id suggest a td5 one, its 2 wires with a push to reset

Great, thanks 👍

I wasn’t sure if the TD5 one was linked to other systems but it sounds ideal

3 minutes ago, RedLineMike said:

on my td5 i replaced the inertia switch with an emergency stop button mounted on the dash

I’m hoping to use the switch to shut off both the fuel and battery supplies via relays if possible 👍

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

RRC one works, sits under the passenger seat, I use it to disable the truck from running if I have left it in a suspicious looking area.... ;) 

So you can activate the switch manually? As I recall you can't do that on the later (td5) type.

Just now, Maverik said:

So you can activate the switch manually? As I recall you can't do that on the later (td5) type.

Yup, just reach behind the passenger seat, and pull the peg up.

Just like this:

1247717593_Screenshot2021-01-06at14_34_24.thumb.jpg.7b15dcff922ed7227892866bc5c4cc85.jpg1497254920_Screenshot2021-01-06at14_34_31.jpg.6652fb899efccb96a372c2b5133b0eae.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mo Murphy said:

The TD5 one can be reset by pressing the button on top but it cannot be activated manually by pulling out a plastic button.

The only way to activate it is to shock it by shaking or impact.

Mo

Ah, right cheers Mo👍

1 minute ago, landroversforever said:

Just give it a thump. Doesn't take much of a hit with a fist to set it off. 

Is that shaking or impact Ross ? 🤣

It does take a bit more effort than you'd imagine and I can't see it lasting long if you were to thump it everytime you wanted to use it as a security device ! 😵

Mo

Rather than an inertia-switch [which can be set-off inadverently - the one on my 90TD5 tripped once during a 'clumsy' trailer-hookup] could you maybe use one of the 3-way oil-pressure-switches that kill power to the fuel-pump when there's no oil-pressure?

Alternatively, 1970s/80s Fords used a relay that took pulses from the distributor and shut-down the fuel-pump when the engine wasn't turning.