Roof Condensation...

Hi All

I recently lined the roof of my 110 with foil backed camping mat in order to keep some warmth in and reduce the condensation on the bare roof..

It's worked a treat, but I'm still getting condensation on the roof ribs, enough to still drip annoyingly down your neck at inopportune moments...

Any suggestions on how to tackle this? It looks like some of the ribs I could cover in mat as they aren't used to secure the headlining, but any suggestions as to what to cover the ones with that do get used? I tried gaffer tape and it doesn't cut the condensation down at all, maybe something like sticky back felt that's enough to stop the condensation but not thick enough to interfere with the headlining when I refit it?

Thanks

Jon

I bought some pre-cut, self adhesive foam for my hardtop 110. There was nothing to cover the ribs with, so I bought some cloth with a foam backing to cover them. The foam/cloth was stuck with carpet adhesive spray prior to fixing the self adhesive foam pads. 

I’ve not had any problem with condensation since fitting this, but just don’t ask me about leaks!! 

Whichever. route you choose to do this make sure that you use proper closed-cell foam. Avoid open cell stuff as it simply soaks the moisture up and eventually goes mouldy and can smell pretty horrible. Proper closed cell stuff if you want to test it, is impossible to suck air through. Open cell stuff you can sook air in through.

When I did mine years ago I filled the panels with foam sheet* to the level of the ribs and then carpeted (foam back) over the top of the whole lot. Worked just fine and never had any issues.

Speak to any 'chemical converters' who make the stuff - I bought several sheets from one of them (minimum order was £100) and was able to do a couple of vehicles with it - two/three layers on the roof, rear sides and also the floor in the rear tub (under a 1/4 ply sheet). Made it quieter and much warmer, and zero condensation. Like these folks:  https://www.kewell-converters.co.uk/materials