Lockdown Camper Van Build - not even slightly LR, but potentially useful bits!

Because of the lockdown, it was difficult to go & look at vans to buy.  I decided to look at brand new vans instead - figuring I'd get closer to what I wanted (a Renault Master Low Loader).  It turned out that Renault had a load of these as part of a cancelled order - and were very keen to do a deal.  It ended up costing me about £10k less than list - and they delivered it.

image.png.9a0b5bad100966d136d7d8b70ab0af82.png

This is the day it arrived, sitting in my front garden.

Renault even supplied me a 3D Cad model of the interior - which allowed me to start building before it actually arrived (first Error!).

Being a regular box, the insulation was easier.  I just used foam board insulation.  There's 90mm thick on the walls, 80mm on the ceiling & 60mm on the floor, including the underfloor heating panels.  I wish I could have put thicker insulation on the floor & ceiling but unfortunately the model was wrong.  There was 100mm less ceiling height than I was expecting and the back was 50mm shorter - but 80mm wider.

I had designed all the furniture and had it all CNC Routed to be a perfect fit!  After I'd measured the van, sworn a bit, I had to trim everything to fit.  Next time - I'll wait until I actually have the van!image.png.438ebfca7a255af768d986390931fd7b.png

This was Day 2 - laying the floor & putting in the underfloor heating pipework.  It was pretty easy once I'd got the hang of it!

image.png.daf0cbf6dab555dadc7b8e4375f52bc4.png

I love Solidworks!

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.7c267e281e47454f4773445bd5ff70ca.png

By week 2, I'd insulated and lined the whole thing with Ply.  The walls have 4mm thick while the bulkhead is 12mm - just to provide a bit of extra protection from stuff coming to visit me in the cab, unexpectedly!

I bought 'Habitation Doors' from https://www.vehiclewindows.co.uk/  They were a bit slow to deliver - but the quality is very good and they made them to size.
image.png.7815612d5406b52bbc12b78353abd777.png

The doors are air-tight which helps keep it warm - though there's plenty of ventilation when I need.  I fitted a Maxx Fan in the roof for ventilation.  I had to persuade (hammer) the door into the hole I cut.  When I switched the fan on, full blast, it sucked the door out of the frame!  At least I know everything is well sealed!

I did consider fitting air conditioning - but thought I'd try another 'bright idea' instead!  My old van used to get uncomfortably hot on summer days.  I noticed however that the air at road level was 10C cooler than at head height (under the van, where the sun wasn't heating it up).  I decided to put in tubes that extend down to 10cm off the road for ventilation.  The two flexible tubes you can see in the picture above are such - and there are two 6" vent pipes at the back.  The cooler air is ducted to ceiling height.  I played about with the vent sizes & positions in Solidworks, using the flow analysis to achieve the maximum cooling effect.  The weather has been cold since I finished it - so I don't know how well it's worked yet.  Just in case, I put in the wiring for air conditioning just in case!

• Like 3

That self levelling bed is inspired and an engineering masterpiece Si , as expected with your experience and background . 

I'm jumping forward a fair bit , but what was involved in getting it registered as a camper on the V5C ?

cheers

Steve b

Oh.......
Love this one !
What type of Renault is that please ?
I am seriously considering building a moving office - and that bed is what I had in mind using cables - but the self leveling is a very , very clever idea !!!!!

Please keep this coming

25 minutes ago, steve b said:

That self levelling bed is inspired and an engineering masterpiece Si , as expected with your experience and background . 

I'm jumping forward a fair bit , but what was involved in getting it registered as a camper on the V5C ?

cheers

Steve b

I've kept it registered as a Commercial.  I need to be able to use it as a commercial at times.  While I'm away, I just park up by the side of the road.  On the outside, it's just a plain commercial white van with almost nothing to indicate it's a camper.  It draws no more attention than any other white van.
I deliberately didn't put windows in (though I've left spaces if it's next owner wants to) - figuring that, at night, there's not much to look at and they just pour heat out of the interior.

31 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Oh.......
Love this one !
What type of Renault is that please ?
I am seriously considering building a moving office - and that bed is what I had in mind using cables - but the self leveling is a very , very clever idea !!!!!

Please keep this coming

It's a Renault Master Low Loader.  They are listed on Renault's web site - but they are generally built to order.  They are kind of like a LR Special Vehicles where they take a truck off the production line then send it to 'Truck Craft' who build the box back.  It's sold and warrantied by Renault and is IVA'd (sorry, not meant to mention IVA here!) by Renault.

Part of my requirement is to use it as a mobile office too - you'll have to wait for a later installment for that!

Si

• Like 1

In the pictures above, you can see I've fitted a shower / bog.  The lining of that in plastic wall covering was the hardest bit of the job - and I'm not delighted with the fit & finish of it, though I did my best.  It is waterproof though.

SJR00160.thumb.JPG.a5acf0dbbb498502670ffaad5e8bfc73.JPG

I struggled to find a decent thermostatic mixer tap for the Shower.  The ones made for Campers are made form the most horrible, cheap plastic and priced like they're made of Gold!  I ended up with a mixer tap for a Bidet!  It turned out the port size (hence the flow) is the same as most domestic taps - but the housing is tiny by comparison to Bath Mixers.

IMG_20200827_212741_DRO.thumb.jpg.7e3b4b6c9b398eb9f69ae9224b1def77.jpg

That brings me neatly on to the heating & water system.  Again, it looks over-complicated, but I couldn't think of a simpler way of doing it!
The big blue thing is a 'Calorifier' - essentially a hot water cylinder.  It has two coils going through it.  One is heated directly by the Webasto which you can see burried top-left and the other takes hot water and circulates it through the underfloor heating.  The header tank & (blue) pump are for the heating.  The Black thing bottom left is the accumulator for the Hot Water and the Red thing is the accumulator for cold water.  I had originally intended that red & blue would signify hot & less hot - but it all got a bit muddled!

The water in the Calorifier heats to about 80C and has a thermostatic mixer which dilutes this with cold water - giving a temperature at the tap of about 40C.  It holds 25l of hot water - giving you about 40l at the tap (shower) without the Webasto.

In it's more finished guise, all this is boxed in and looks tidy!  It's all in the cupboard under the kitchen sink and the cupboard gets warm enough to act as an airing / drying cupboard.

On the last film, I spent a week on set, outdoors in heaving rain (miserable but fun).  Having the cupboard to dry clothes and in particular my boots over night was a godsend!  Warm Towels are nice too!  I'm going soft aren't I!

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

This is great Si! I really like the leveling bed idea vs having to level the vehicle each time when its a quick stop. Have you got any interior doors planned? Quick stops and not leveled properly in the caravan are OK, but he doors swinging by themselves gets annoying after a few hours.

I only have a door to the cab and a shower / bog door - and they latch closed (both being gas tight).  A gas-tight bog door is a plus - keeping unfortunate smells inside!

The bed is controlled by an Arduino with an IMU to detect level.  It drives 2 x 2 Channel RoboClaw motor controllers.  It just has 4 buttons to control it - Up, Down, Level and E-Stop (just in case!)

• Like 3