Lockdown Camper Van Build - not even slightly LR, but potentially useful bits!

11 hours ago, simonr said:

You could improve matters by having a bigger reservoir of water in the heater / PHE loop.  Then, even if the heater shuts down (which will take longer), you still have a bigger store of heat to warm the PHE so long as you keep the webasto circulating pump running.

I'm in a similar area where I have a 5l expansion tank filled 3/4's full and approximately 2metres of 22mm pipe work.

Extending this pipework will in effect do 2 things, 1;  it'll increase the amount of water required to heat up and 2; take longer to do this by allowing heat to dissipate along the pipework.  

Overiding the pump won't be possible without looking into what you are achieving with your mini pc gizmo things...

On 6/24/2021 at 7:10 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

We've not found that in the ambulance - probably depends a lot on the vehicle and its setup.

Yes it was a floppy suspension Ducato based thing, it did occur that it might no be so bad in the 6x6 with leaf springs. But the levelling might also come in handy when not on level campsites. Slightly out and the shower doesnt drain and ones eggs are down one end of the pan.

Did find these: Folding Electric jack for caravan from China manufacturer - Hangzhou Henghong Machinery Co.,Ltd. (hisupplier.com)

It did occur to me not to do it down to the ground, but rather between chassis and axles.

13 hours ago, HoSS said:

Yes it was a floppy suspension Ducato based thing, it did occur that it might no be so bad in the 6x6 with leaf springs. But the levelling might also come in handy when not on level campsites. Slightly out and the shower doesnt drain and ones eggs are down one end of the pan.

Did find these: Folding Electric jack for caravan from China manufacturer - Hangzhou Henghong Machinery Co.,Ltd. (hisupplier.com)

It did occur to me not to do it down to the ground, but rather between chassis and axles.

That's a clever, simple mechanism!  I like!

On my last van, I looked at options to do just that - fitting between the axle & Chassis - but it had so little suspension travel and space was so tight, I couldn't see an easy way to achieve it.  On my new van, there's even less space - so I went for a self levelling bed and a shower tray deep enough that it doesn't matter if it fills up a bit.  Eggs in the frying pan is a different matter though!

On 6/24/2021 at 7:07 PM, Badger110 said:

Overiding the pump won't be possible without looking into what you are achieving with your mini pc gizmo things...

This was the first thing I tried - and it helped a lot.

One pump lead connects directly to +12V, the other via a MOSFET to Gnd.  Cut the lead going to the MOSFET and connect a diode in series (with the arrow / white line pointing to the Webasto).

Connect a second Diode to the pump lead in series with a switch, connecting to Gnd (Arrow / Line pointong to Gnd).  This means that the pump will run either when the switch is closed, or when the webasto thinks it should be running - or both.  (A Diode OR Gate in effect).

I just decided I could do better - so I did!

56 minutes ago, steve b said:

Stick the cooker/hob on a gimbal mount , maybe with lockable pivots once level ? 

Steve

Reminds me when i visited a Danish Navy vessel, all of the gas hobs in the galley gimbaled to 45 degrees whilst cooking in high seas.

On 6/26/2021 at 8:30 PM, HoSS said:

Honestly we've camped on all sorts of not-level campsites, although we don't have a shower in the ambulance none of the other stuff really cares at all, and we find as long as you park so the head end of the bed is higher than the feet end it's no biggie - usually on uneven ground you can park carefully and still end up pretty level.

I'd suck it and see before spending money adding 50kg of levelling jacks and wiring.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Honestly we've camped on all sorts of not-level campsites, although we don't have a shower in the ambulance none of the other stuff really cares at all, and we find as long as you park so the head end of the bed is higher than the feet end it's no biggie - usually on uneven ground you can park carefully and still end up pretty level.

I'd suck it and see before spending money adding 50kg of levelling jacks and wiring.

and in addition to this buy a couple of those plastic motorhome levelling chocks, normally all that is needed to get it level enough to not cause an issue. They are also cheap, light and very unlikely to go wrong!

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/levellers-and-chocks/levelling-systems-and-jacks/caravans-and-motorhomes/8968-milenco-triple-level-set?surface=active&gclid=CjwKCAjwrPCGBhALEiwAUl9X05GRmVefQhde7Mu1IDQDuK4cJKoDiBn_My9eDpD-p4HqGRzaJBlA0hoCIWAQAvD_BwE

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

and in addition to this buy a couple of those plastic motorhome levelling chocks, normally all that is needed to get it level enough to not cause an issue. They are also cheap, light and very unlikely to go wrong!

https://www.leisureoutlet.com/levellers-and-chocks/levelling-systems-and-jacks/caravans-and-motorhomes/8968-milenco-triple-level-set?surface=active&gclid=CjwKCAjwrPCGBhALEiwAUl9X05GRmVefQhde7Mu1IDQDuK4cJKoDiBn_My9eDpD-p4HqGRzaJBlA0hoCIWAQAvD_BwE

I think these would rather work against the whole 'covert camper' thinking behind this build.

I've only recently found this thread. Don't know how I missed it before but it is fascinating.

When I saw Si's early renders my first thought was that he's put a 4-post lift inside a van. That's a whole new definition for a 4-post bed :D 

13 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I think these would rather work against the whole 'covert camper' thinking behind this build.

You see a lot of trucks with similar ramps or wedges/chocks stowed on/under the chassis, and if you're on uneven ground you're probably already out of most folks sight. I'm a big fan of simple stuff that can't go wrong too.

That said - some waffle boards, perhaps cut down skinnier than average, would be a more useful choice as they have multiple uses (aiding traction, bridging potholes, jacking pad, impromptu table, etc.) which is always preferable to single-purpose items.

• 2 years later...

Compared to what you get for $125k I'd say Simon is well ahead of the game:

https://www.theautopian.com/i-toured-the-inside-of-the-electric-camper-van-from-tesla-engineers-heres-what-the-125000-grounded-g1-is-like/

I know it's an electric van but from what I've seen you don't come out much different with ICE ones these days either, 100k is average money. I've seen VW Transporters up to £120k and you get bu&&er all space in those no matter how much you spend on alloy wheels & leather seats.

Before I built my previous van, I visited a conversion place near Horsham.  They said they would charge me £35,000 for a basic conversion not including the van - and they would only work on brand new vans!

If that wasn't bad enough, I looked at their 'show van' and the fit & finish was terrible!  The furniture was all made from chipboard with the press in plastic edging.  None of the edging was centered nor straight.  All the fixtures, taps etc were the nasty chromed plastic type, common in Caravans.

Based on the cost of a van at the time, you wouldn't get much change out of £65k.  However, their yard & workshop were packed with vans in various stages of conversion - so I guess that's what people are prepared to pay.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, simonr said:

Before I built my previous van, I visited a conversion place near Horsham.  They said they would charge me £35,000 for a basic conversion not including the van - and they would only work on brand new vans!

If that wasn't bad enough, I looked at their 'show van' and the fit & finish was terrible!  The furniture was all made from chipboard with the press in plastic edging.  None of the edging was centered nor straight.  All the fixtures, taps etc were the nasty chromed plastic type, common in Caravans.

Based on the cost of a van at the time, you wouldn't get much change out of £65k.  However, their yard & workshop were packed with vans in various stages of conversion - so I guess that's what people are prepared to pay.

I think that’s the trouble with the size of the van conversion market these days. So many want something haven’t got much of a budget and/or they don’t know how good they could get for their money. 

6 hours ago, simonr said:

These are the same reasons I'm building my trailer. Caravans are flimsy, twee and cheap whilst being very expensive.

Mike

• Like 1

On 6/27/2021 at 10:16 AM, simonr said:

On my last van, I looked at options to do just that - fitting between the axle & Chassis - but it had so little suspension travel and space was so tight, I couldn't see an easy way to achieve it.  

You don't necessarily have to push down on an axle to level the vehicle, you could pull the opposite end tighter.

A wire strop and pulley around the axle/chassis would take less space and have the same effect...

20 hours ago, simonr said:

We did similar - toured the Caravan & Motorhome show to steal ideas, but came away with a very similar impression about fit & finish / quality.

22 hours ago, JLM said:

You don't necessarily have to push down on an axle to level the vehicle, you could pull the opposite end tighter.

A wire strop and pulley around the axle/chassis would take less space and have the same effect...

That's a good idea, however once I'd thought of a self-levelling bed, though it's probably more complicated, I just had to give it a go!  Why go for the simple solution when you can have servo motors, lead screws & computers 😅

• Haha 3