Series 3 heater 3D printed air scoop modification *Photos*

youngengineer

I found that the standard Series 3 air grille was ineffective over 30mph as low pressure on the side of the vehicle woulld work against the already asthmatic blower motor.

I spent a couple hours a few weekends ago creating a 3D model of the series blower grille with a scoop modification.

The scoop allows air to be funneled into the blower motor and increase the output of the heater blower.

IMG20201230132559.jpg

IMG20201230132603.jpg

IMG20201230132608.jpg

IMG20210110083650.jpg

IMG20210110083733.jpg

IMG20210110083742.jpg

IMG20210110083749.jpg

Edited by youngengineer
  • Like 4

• youngengineer changed the title to Series 3 heater 3D printed air scoop modification *Photos*

Good stuff but, I can foresee a problem, but only if you off road. Your scoop will be susceptible to damage off shrubs, branches, bankside etc I wonder if it is possible to 3D print  a piece that sits flatter to the side of the wing then follows the contours of the wing so that you scoop the air from the top of the wing where it is more protected or alternatively go out the top of the wing instead of the side but only if you were happy to cut a hole in the top of your wing still excellent work too technical for my abilities I would have to hammer form something  regards Stephen 

• Like 1

The nice thing with a 3D Printed part though, is if it breaks, a few hours later you have a new one!

Many of the things I've printed have gone through an itterative design - find a problem or weakness, then print a better one!

image.png.a585a26a655a049a53e02cd2fc16620b.png

This is a good example of such - a little reduction box with a BLDC motor in the middle.  It needs to be small and very light - and has gone through many iterations.  It's still not good enough though!
It powers this, also mostly printed with the addition of Carbon Fibre spars and Foamex board:

image.png.2e1e77487fbfbad936c531d1d620fa85.png

An Ornothopter.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Good stuff but, I can foresee a problem, but only if you off road. Your scoop will be susceptible to damage off shrubs, branches, bankside etc I wonder if it is possible to 3D print  a piece that sits flatter to the side of the wing then follows the contours of the wing so that you scoop the air from the top of the wing where it is more protected or alternatively go out the top of the wing instead of the side but only if you were happy to cut a hole in the top of your wing still excellent work too technical for my abilities I would have to hammer form something  regards Stephen 

It protrudes less then the mirrors, the plastic itself is fairly thick. I made the walls from solid 4mm ABS but they could be printed even thicker at 6mm or more. The design could be modified so the scoop would have less protrusion. I made it this way to maximize airflow but I admit its slightly overkill!

15 minutes ago, youngengineer said:

It protrudes less then the mirrors

I get that only the mirrors will give or twist out of the way and only need repositioning, nit picking really, however like your skills I don't have a 3d printer but I would struggle switching it on let alone using it, that's the dinosaur in me regards Stephen

• Like 1

13 hours ago, paime said:

A great example of what you can do with a 3D printer and some know-how. What programme did you use to design the part? Is it glued on or screwed from the inside?

I used Fusion 360. Its not to hard to learn and I beleive there is a 12 month free license for Hobbyists/DIY'ers.

12 hours ago, missingsid said:

I know it's not the pedestrian side but it does seem like it would skin any that it encounters, also it will pour water in very effectively I would imagine?

I think you may be right about the water factor, thats not something I considered. It could be made with a less agressive profile I suppose. I think if you actually hit someone with a series land rover the vent would be the least of worries.

Edited by youngengineer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/10/2021 at 5:35 PM, simonr said:

The nice thing with a 3D Printed part though, is if it breaks, a few hours later you have a new one!

Many of the things I've printed have gone through an itterative design - find a problem or weakness, then print a better one!

image.png.a585a26a655a049a53e02cd2fc16620b.png

This is a good example of such - a little reduction box with a BLDC motor in the middle.  It needs to be small and very light - and has gone through many iterations.  It's still not good enough though!
It powers this, also mostly printed with the addition of Carbon Fibre spars and Foamex board:

image.png.2e1e77487fbfbad936c531d1d620fa85.png

An Ornothopter.

Astonishing work , mate - god when I was a kid it was Airfix and rubber bands   :P  K

Ho, hum, if Plod sees it, and sends that down for vehicle inspection I'd be surprised if somebody doesn't take umbrage. They will have seen 3D printers and be less easy to impress. Someone would explain why a pedestrian already  cleared for take-off over the bonnet,  or looking to land down the side, needs to be swiped by that as well? Mayhaps, they'd be reading printer instruction manuals at the time?

Could we expect instructions to remove sharpish?

As my other post, our 15YO boy got a printer for Xmas from his mother, and welding-kit from me. Now dubbed the 'shonk-printer' he's been knocking out tosh supermarket-trolley tokens, and the irony of ironies, 3D Airfix kits...  the message that finds the lot on eBay for under a tenner, seems lost.

Edited by Landrover17H

12 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

Ho, hum, if Plod sees it, and sends that down for vehicle inspection I'd be surprised if somebody doesn't take umbrage.

While that's generally a worthwhile consideration, the printed parts are fairly weak compared to Injection Molded parts - so I suspect would just shear off before doing much damage to a pedestrian.  Also, Land Rovers in general are not exactly pedestrian friendly.  I'd sooner be hit by that than say the wing mirror, door hinges, gutter, rear capping, exhaust, bumper etc...etc...

A reasonable solution would be to print it in Flexible material - which has the hardness of rubber. 

• Like 1