Right fuel pump for 4.0

Hello all.

As part of my 90´s conversion from 200 Tdi to 4.0, we removed the original undersea fuel tank and fitted another in the back, from a 90 Td4. The problem is that the proper fuel pump for a Defender 4.0, ESR3928, is way too long for that tank, maybe 4 inches in excess.

I thought that the tanks for NAS, 50 Ann, Td5 and Td4 would be all about the same. But this not seems to be the case :(

Any advise on this? Can I fit another pump without affecting the petrol output and the ECU readings? Can the pump just be shortened in some way?

Changing the tank would be a nightmare, now that everything´s already in its place underneath the vehicle

Thanks in advance

IMG_3819 copia.jpg

You can normally quite easily shorten pumps, either through cutting and welding, or making up a joining bracket between two shorter pieces.

Without seeing the pump you have, tricky to know.

Level sender's, if on a wire, can be bent so they at least give a proper empty warning, but perhaps read full for a while. Or, you shorten them, so give a reasonable scale, but more prone innaccuracies, i think.

Thanks so much for your answer, Bowie. Shortening the pump may be the only solution, although I am really not sure how to do it :(

Anybody knows if I could use a Td4 pump for fueling a 4.0??

A Defender Puma one. The tank came from that vehicle, so... 🙄

Really puzzles me that the tanks of some 90s post-Tdi might be different. But I can´t think of any other explanation. Or maybe only NAS & 50 Ann´s are different?

What do people usually do pump wise when swapping from 90 Td5 to V8??

Mo:  Right, the reason for having named the Puma "Td4" is because here in Spain we always name so any post-Td5 Defender, I don´t know why.

FF: It is a GEMS engine. So I guess the best way to go would be to adapt the new pump, ESR3928 :)

Thanks Retroanaconda and Eightpot for your answers. BTW, next task will be swapping the Tdi dash to Td5 style,, wonderful mod 😉🙂

Strange - was walking past the scrap bin this morning and an esr3928 was sticking out! 

Photo compared to a 300tdi sender. 

It would be easy to shorten it - just compress the spring and use pins through the tube at the required length.  Theres no reason the pump couldn't be moved from underneath to the side to shorten it also. I'd still look at modifying a cheaper one first maybe though?

20210119_093233.jpg

Edited by Eightpot

Given the earlier lumps have a standard feed - regulator - return setup almost any EFi pump that fits in the hole would do, it just wants to be something of similar or greater HP. Or, as said, you can use a plain pickup pipe and an external universal  pump/pumps.

• Like 1

Amazing, Eightpot! 🙂🙂

I´ll try to modify it, because I´ve already bought it. That´s how I know it´s way too long 🙄

Just in case, which is the reference for a 3.9 pump? 

Fridge Freezer, would a universal pump go fine with the ECU?

2 hours ago, Red110 said:

Fridge Freezer, would a universal pump go fine with the ECU?

The ECU knows nothing about the pump, as long as it can hit the flow/pressure required it will work.

Most EFI pumps will hit 100PSI if you clamp the return - the injector pressure is regulated by the pressure regulator on the fuel rail.