Defender Battery tray hydraulic tank

mad_pete

My H14W came with an under-seat hydro tank, they cut a square hole under the driver's seat box and the tank had a flange along either side that bolted up with rivnuts in the remainder of the seatbox - it was quite narrow and you have a fitting sticking out the bottom. Not really sure how much it held, guess maybe 5-10L by the time you've got the clearance for the vent/filler on top.

I fitted a tank of around 20l under the RH seat my TD5, after relocating the ECU. I did consider cutting out the seat box and mounting with brackets, but as I could just get it to fit in the box I never bothered.

For a winch, if you have an oil (hydraulic fluid) cooler, you only need a tiny tank!  It's really only to replace fluid that's lost in use and a bubble-trap to get rid of air in the system.

The purpose of bigger tanks is to act as a buffer in the cooling (where the heat generated exceeds the cooling capacity) giving you longer run times before the oil gets too hot - and to compensate for the difference in swept volumes at either end of hydraulic cylinders.  Motors and pumps are mostly fairly constant volume.

Even with a larger than standard battery, there's still space in the battery box for a tank without having to extend the bottom.

Si