Welding Gas - Pure Argon and Argon/CO2 Mix

So I think it's time for a new cylinder for the MIG so thought I'd reevaluate where I get my gas from. I think this is the first cylinder that's gone through the MIG since I bought it from Nige, it seems to only sip the gas compared to the TIG.

I'm currently using Albee and their 11L cylinders at 200Bar. When I started using them they were well ahead of the rent-free game but thought it's worth asking who others use! I'm still not sure a rented cylinder is worthwhile for me given my lack of gas usage. Things greatly improved with the TIG going to a gas lense for example and it can be long periods of time between welding. 

Who do you use? Fill pressure/Size? What do you pay for cylinder? and refills?

Current Albee prices at one of the two local stockists are:

• Argon/CO2: 11L 200Bar refill £89.88 (13.4L 300Bar £100.68)
  • Pure Argon: 11L 200Bar refill £100.68 (13.4L 300Bar  £111.48)

Worth noting that Hobby Weld are out of the question for me as they haven't got any stockists near to home or work. (15+ miles away).

Looks like gas is actually cheaper over here, I paid just under €40 for 20l at 200bar last year. You also pay a core charge for the bottle, it's not filled directly but you exchange for a filled one. If you want to get out of the program, the core charge is refunded when you return the bottle. It's a very good system if you don't use much gas as you don't have (fixed) rental costs.

Filip

15 miles away is pretty local surely?

My local stockist for the gas I’ve got is over 100 miles away but given that the previous bottle lasted about eight years I’m not too worried about it!

Mine is Adams Gas and the standard Argoshield equivalent. I can’t remember the size but it was about £50 or so to swap the bottle over when I did run out. 

10 hours ago, Maverik said:

They no deliver?

Seemingly not! 

9 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Have you looked at he value of your current cylinders?

https://bridgwaterweldingsupplies.co.uk/ALBEE-Bottles/albee-new-cylinders

Or are you under a different style contract?

Not sure what you're meaning sorry Bowie? I'm probably having a brain fart! The prices I listed are just the gas refil cost. Not sure why but for some reason your link the refill is cheaper across the board for both sizes and both gasses compared to both of my locals.

5 hours ago, smallfry said:

Recently changed from BOC. Last Argoshield 5 cylinder lasted 7 years.........

Gone to Hobbyweld (not Ultra with the integral regulator). 20 litre @£80 for refill inc VAT They do pure Argon for £100

Exact reason I went for albee in the first place, I just don't use enough to make a rented cylinder worth it.

1 hour ago, Escape said:

Looks like gas is actually cheaper over here, I paid just under €40 for 20l at 200bar last year. You also pay a core charge for the bottle, it's not filled directly but you exchange for a filled one. If you want to get out of the program, the core charge is refunded when you return the bottle. It's a very good system if you don't use much gas as you don't have (fixed) rental costs.

Filip

Yeah that's what I do here Filip. Core charge and fill for the first, then just swap out each time for just the 'refill' charge.

1 hour ago, Retroanaconda said:

15 miles away is pretty local surely?

My local stockist for the gas I’ve got is over 100 miles away but given that the previous bottle lasted about eight years I’m not too worried about it!

Mine is Adams Gas and the standard Argoshield equivalent. I can’t remember the size but it was about £50 or so to swap the bottle over when I did run out. 

It is, but its the opposite direction to where I go normally, and the opposite side of home from work. My other 'local' supplier of Albee is 15 miles from home, but its about 1.5 miles from a good friend's place so somewhere I frequent regularly (they also do deliver to me).  

Interesting that the bigger hobbyweld ones are now comparable. When I first looked when I got the TIG they only did the teeny 9L ones with ~130Bar in them. 

Looks to me like I'm still better staying with Albee given location and ease. They've got a 'trade-up' to swap the small or the large cylinder too which makes sense. Albee also have the reg with the cylinder like BOC etc do (and the biggest Hobby Weld now).

I used to use HobbyWeld but since moving back to Wales the nearest refill place is 40 odd miles away. Switched to SGS as they worked out quite a bit cheaper and the local tractor factors stocks them 10 minutes down the road.

On 1/20/2021 at 11:44 AM, FridgeFreezer said:

I use Motor Parts Direct as they are round the corner and it was open on the weekend... it felt quite pricey but can't remember exactly.

I need a new cylinder having given mine back to BOC, my only option is MPD but they only have Pure Argon. Will this be different to weld with than Argosheild? I can only weld outside which is not ideal.