90 Td5 rear fuel tank

• western changed the title to 90 Td5 rear fuel tank

I will measure mine today.

You need to use the Puma 2.4 fuel pickup / sender to use it on a Tdi. 

if you can obtain the 2.4 fuel lines you can use the quick release ends for the fuel lines and mate them to your existing hard plastic lines. I used pattern ends on the last one I did and they failed quickly and caused fuel leaks. Alternatively you can use rubber hose and two jubilee clips pushed directly on the fuel pickup - this is what I reverted to.

The 90 tank is held differently to the 110 - the 90 tank is sandwiched between the tub and the tank guard. You would need to fit the tank guard and weld on chassis brackets which are available separately, and you will also need to move the steel cross reinforcing channels on the tub underside to match the 90 tub channels as the tank is moulded to fit around the channels

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oneandtwo said:

I will measure mine today.

You need to use the Puma 2.4 fuel pickup / sender to use it on a Tdi. 

if you can obtain the 2.4 fuel lines you can use the quick release ends for the fuel lines and mate them to your existing hard plastic lines. I used pattern ends on the last one I did and they failed quickly and caused fuel leaks. Alternatively you can use rubber hose and two jubilee clips pushed directly on the fuel pickup - this is what I reverted to.

The 90 tank is held differently to the 110 - the 90 tank is sandwiched between the tub and the tank guard. You would need to fit the tank guard and weld on chassis brackets which are available separately, and you will also need to move the steel cross reinforcing channels on the tub underside to match the 90 tub channels as the tank is moulded to fit around the channels

Or if you can get one a complete Puma tank with sender etc may be the cheapest. The cradle sits on top of the brackets which means getting it out after it's fitted is a swine of a job. YRM do an aluminium cradle which bolts upward rather than down. The Puma sender needs a 4 terminal econoseal connector to connect - only two wire are connected so you need 2 blanks as well.  Also, don't forget you might end up struggling to get to the back of the rear crossmember with the tank in place, so plan ahead for tow fixings etc ( I have a 300tdi 90 with a Puma 90 tank and a normal 300tdi rear crossmember - the back of the cross member is not accessible with the tank in place , so I had to struggle a bit) .

• Like 1

Great info guys, Thank you.

I got a rough measurement off a Td5 90 and I dont think I will use that style tank. Since the 90 does not have the intermediate cross member above rear axle like the 110, using the 90 tank I would only be able to remove 100mm from the rear overhang. Not as much as I would like, and the 90 tank also hangs lower, not a problem on the short overhang of the 90 but even If I could take 200mm off my 110 AND use the 90 tank, I would still have more overhang than a 90 and the lower tank more susceptible to impact.

Looks like  a custom tank will be the answer.