Electric fan come on by itself

Ok so went out to let the dog out last night around 11pm and heard like a fan sound from my 90. Popped the bonnet and find the Kenlowe spinning away. Unplugged the positive from the x switch and left it. Plugged back in this morning and straight away it starts spinning so for now it’s disconnected. Could this simply be a fault with the x switch or should I be looking elsewhere?

Where are you taking the positive feed to the X Fan from? On my setup it would be possible for the manual 'on' side of the switch to be telling it to constantly run but the great thing about the X Fan is the flexibility of how it can be wired up, do yours may be entirely different.

I am by no means electrically knowledgeable but I guess it's a case of breaking out the multimeter and working from the fan backwards.

Sounds like it is the X Fan though.

If it worked before, The thermostatic switch has failed.

The most common reason for this is that it's switching too much current - and the contacts have welded themselves together!

I would replace the 50091 type Thermostatic switch (which you can buy from most motor factors) and if it isn't already, connect the fan through a relay with a higher current rating than the 50091 (10A IIRC).

Si

• Like 2

That's the one, there are two versions on the Foundry site; the other is a manual control of one single fan and thermostat control of both. That's what I went for as I didn't want it to run straight from the battery in case of exactly this circumstance.

The thermostat is only controlling a relay that takes the load from the fans (15amps each in my case!), so there shouldn't be the welding situation Si describes!

On 1/23/2021 at 5:58 PM, simonr said:

If it worked before, The thermostatic switch has failed.

The most common reason for this is that it's switching too much current - and the contacts have welded themselves together!

I would replace the 50091 type Thermostatic switch (which you can buy from most motor factors) and if it isn't already, connect the fan through a relay with a higher current rating than the 50091 (10A IIRC).

Si

Exactly how I installed mine.  I think the instructions said the Intermotor thermostatic switch could handle a typical fan directly, but for the sake of peace of mind and longevity, a simple relay circuit costing about £5-6 and 30 minutes seemed prudent.  It has been extremely reliable since fitting in 2008.

As for the original question as to the cause of the problem, you’ll need to be methodical and test the circuit.  It could be a disconnected wire shorting across terminals, a failed switch, or (if you did fit a relay) a failed relay.

• 9 months later...