Help with "Come Up" Winch Wiring

TD5Spain

Hi All fellow Landrover lovers and or haters! :lol:

I have just acquired a 1999 90 TD5 with a "Come Up" winch mounted but electrically disconnected. Unfortunately the old owner is not contactable to speak with.

There is an earth wire which has been previously connected to the bumper mount on the chassis.

There is a red battery cable approx 1m long which is dangling in the engine compartment!

There is a "power take off" switch mounted at wing top level which has no positive connection (from the battery) but has an earth to the chassis. It is connected on the positive side to:-

....... an electrical component (Hardelect??? Yellow colour with two top connectors and 4 side spade connectors one of which is earthed) connected to the switch on the positive terminal, but this has no connection to the battery.

The red lead from the winch is just the right length to reach these components and is routed to them!

I have powered the winch from a spare battery and it works fine.

Can anyone help with a simple wiring diagram, the one from Come UP winches just says run the black lead to the battery negative terminal and the red wire to the positive on the battery via circuit breaker, am I looking at this too in depth or is it that simple! and what is the power take of switch fro and how should it be wired up?

Have a few more questions but they can wait for my next post!!

Photos of the "Beast" to follow soon.

The 'Come-up' winch would have been supplied with cables that are too short.

Replace the earth cable (35mm2) and route back to the battery.

There should be a power cable leading to the solenoid????? This will probaly require replacement as well, and again us 35mm2 cable.

Connect this to the battery, please use an internally mounted cut off switch on this (power)cable, and bingo you have a working winch.

Please don't botch the cables as this will result in poor winch performance. Any good garage or auto electrictrian should be able to supply new cables for you.

Jim :)

The 'Come-up' winch would have been supplied with cables that are too short.

Replace the earth cable (35mm2) and route back to the battery.......................OKAY CAN DO

There should be a power cable leading to the solenoid????? This will probaly require replacement as well, and again us 35mm2 cable........ YES THIS THE 1M ONE

Connect this to the battery, please use an internally mounted cut off switch on this (power)cable, and bingo you have a working winch.........OKAY WILL DO

Please don't botch the cables as this will result in poor winch performance. Any good garage or auto electrictrian should be able to supply new cables for you.......UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS THE STUMBLING BLOCK IN SPAIN! WILL HAVE TO GET SOME CABLE SENT FROM THE UK AND A NEW CUT OFF SWITCH

ANY IDEAS WHAT THE OTHER SET UP IS?

Jim :)

Thanks for your prompt response.

Cheers

Please don't botch the cables as this will result in poor winch performance. Any good garage or auto electrictrian should be able to supply new cables for you.......UNFORTUNATELY THIS IS THE STUMBLING BLOCK IN SPAIN! WILL HAVE TO GET SOME CABLE SENT FROM THE UK AND A NEW CUT OFF SWITCH
Surely you can get the cable in Spain and ends crimped? If not an automotive supplier try welding supplies or marine
ANY IDEAS WHAT THE OTHER SET UP IS?

Possibly intended for jump starting or just hookup for charging. Probably simplest to leave it out for now.

As said, you probably find it easiest to get the wires replaced at a welding suppliers. Fit a cut off switch in your battery bay, probably so you access it from the passengers footwell. Earth the winch back to the battery not the chassis, and you'll get better performance.

Keef.

As said, you probably find it easiest to get the wires replaced at a welding suppliers. Fit a cut off switch in your battery bay, probably so you access it from the passengers footwell. Earth the winch back to the battery not the chassis, and you'll get better performance.

Keef.

Well thanks all I have found some cables and terminals although I will fit them up myself.

Yikes reallyexpensive tho! 9€ per metre anyway sorted and fitting this weekend.....

Cheers

TD5Spain :D