Horrific

Anderzander

16 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Is it the case that a snapped front shaft could allow the wheel to come off, otherwise would the UJ prevent it from pulling through the swivel/hub? Long time since I've delved into a standard Series hub...

No, only a snapped stub axle or the complete undoing of both hub bearing nuts can allow the wheel to come off.

12 hours ago, missingsid said:

Yes there are design limitations that affect the handling but sticking oversize heavy tyres on it isn't going to help any nor is blaming the manufacturer for not building a vehicle that does not work as well after it has been altered.

Seems to be the norm when owners don’t understand the modifications they make or how to drive appropriately.  There’s another discussion going on in much the same vein on this very forum.

17 hours ago, LiamC said:

He wasn't driving a series, it was a Disco1. A bit more info here: https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/amelia-wood-inquest-drivers-tears-4903460

https://i2-prod.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/incoming/article4906373.ece/ALTERNATES/s810/0_newamelia.png

Looks to me like the swivel came off? The bit sticking out is too high to be the remains of a stub axle.

Maybe the missing bearing is a swivel bearing? Which would definitely explain the death wobble...

I think it’s a useful conversation though Steve. If it makes anyone have an extra look at what they’ve done to their car it’s a bonus. Coming to some kind of ‘conclusion’ on what may or may not have happened will lead to people having more of an idea of what failure would cause a wheel to come off. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Happyoldgit said:

Look, this thread is making me feel increasingly uncomfortable. Let's just drop all the speculation and conjecture and instead again remember that a child was killed.

Show a bit of decorum and respect please.

So 2 pages of people slagging off baseless stereotypes and patting themselves on the shoulder is fine, but analysing what actually happened is not?

I agree with Ross, I think it's important to discuss what effect some modifications/oversights in maintenance can have.

• Like 4

It's uncomfortable because the girl has been referenced and identified within the thread, so we're kind of picking over her accident scene  - that said I am interested in the cause of the failure, more so as the vehicle examiners remarks don't seem to make sense, but I don't know how we could move any further forward on that without seeing the car or the report. 

Edit - Reading through a few more news excerpts and filling in some spaces, my own thoughts are that either the stub axle snapped or more likely the hub locknuts unwound with the force of a rotating broken bearing behind them. 

Edited by Eightpot
  • Like 1

There appears to be slightly clearer detail from the examiner here:

Simon Kew, a vehicle examiner with Nottinghamshire Police collision investigation unit, agreed with acting senior coroner for Lincolnshire Paul Smith when he suggested: “In essence the vehicle, on that date, was not roadworthy.”

The cause of the wheel becoming detached was said to be the absence of a wheel bearing, which started a chain of events causing the failure of a CV joint shaft.

Mr Kew said it was hard to say for certain whether the wheel bearing had never been there, had been removed, or was destroyed.

He told the inquest today (Wednesday): “If there was a wheel bearing there, it was disintegrated to the point it wasn’t acting as a wheel bearing.”

A fragment of one was found at the scene.

Mr Kew said knocking and grinding sounds caused by friction of malfunctioning parts would have been heard inside the 4x4 Discovery but it could have been mistaken for road noise generated by its outsize tyres or non-standard suspension, both of which were legal modifications.

https://www.louthleader.co.uk/news/inquest-coroner-says-amelia-woods-death-was-tragic-needless-and-entirely-avoidable-3107421

You'd struggle to get going with no outer bearing at all, but a disintegrated cage with rollers knocking about will pack it out for a short while till they get ground down  and spat out - not helped by big offset wheels. Once the hub can slide over while rotating anti-clockwise, off come the nuts and fairly quickly the whole show unravels.  You can see what appears to be the stub axle on the photo, when you should be seeing hub.   It would have been pretty obvious for a while something serious was wrong - a pity they couldn't prove it. 

Edit - actually on looking again I think the bit that looks like a stub axle or something is the end of the rockslider. Cant see whats going on with the hub. 

Edited by Eightpot

More details here, doesn't paint the best picture of the state of it...

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/news/grimsby-news/amelia-wood-inquest-live-updates-4907590

The defects on the Land Rover included excessive brake fluid leaking from the near side front wheel and near side front brake pad devoid of friction material .

Warning lights were also defective. And there was no reserve travel on the hand brake. An off side tyre was cut so that ply chord was visible.

The vehicle examiner said there was a “considerable brake fluid leak from the near side front wheel.” The evidence of a full bottle of brake fluid bought on March 3 and a half empty fluid bottle meant the driver was aware of the fault.

But then how many of us have been out playing and lunched a set of brake pads or limped home with some sort of fault? As someone said earlier in the thread, this story should make people stop & think. It's a good advert for having breakdown cover and just getting the flatbed taxi home instead of risking it.

• Like 3