Britpart shocks and GB parabolics

Cornish Rattler

Hi guys

As you may know when i did the rebuild on my S2a swb i fitted new GB parabolic springs and left the shockers off ( Britpart ) till right at the end of the rebuild and had them on ever since and noticed the suspension being a bit stiff but with doing a few other bits on the landy over the past year i haven't done anything about them so just thought i would ask what you think about the shocks 😀

I have the BP ones on the 110, they were fitted by the garage i got the truck from.

It is a stiff ride, but i'm not sure if that's them, the shocks ( standard purple ) or the fact it's a USW so has stiffer suspension all round at the rear.

Would love to soften it abit

4 hours ago, Badger110 said:

I have the BP ones on the 110, they were fitted by the garage i got the truck from.

It is a stiff ride, but i'm not sure if that's them, the shocks ( standard purple ) or the fact it's a USW so has stiffer suspension all round at the rear.

BP yellows are good had then my 90 great ride for money 

I have standard britpart shocks on my parabolic spring and the ride is horrendous. So had a measure of shock lengths fully closed, extended and where they sit at current ride height. Here are my findings and probably why most people recommend putting extended gas shock on with parabolics:

Rear shocks 

fully extended 20inch

fully closed 13inch

height at resting position 17.5inch (so am only getting 2.5inch of travel before they top out)

Front is even worse 

16.25inch fully extended 

Fully closed 11 inch 

15inch at rest (1.25inch of drop before shock tops out)

Some people recommend the 1ton front shocks up front as they are a more suitable length or +2inch procomp shocks

My springs were the britpart/ paddocks that were available about 5 years ago, to hard for my 88inch V8 truck cab to be honest. Can't remember how many leaves 2 front maybe 3 rear?

Hope that helps

Jon 

1 hour ago, Jon W said:

I have standard britpart shocks on my parabolic spring and the ride is horrendous. So had a measure of shock lengths fully closed, extended and where they sit at current ride height. Here are my findings and probably why most people recommend putting extended gas shock on with parabolics:

Rear shocks 

fully extended 20inch

fully closed 13inch

height at resting position 17.5inch (so am only getting 2.5inch of travel before they top out)

Front is even worse 

16.25inch fully extended 

Fully closed 11 inch 

15inch at rest (1.25inch of drop before shock tops out)

Some people recommend the 1ton front shocks up front as they are a more suitable length or +2inch procomp shocks

My springs were the britpart/ paddocks that were available about 5 years ago, to hard for my 88inch V8 truck cab to be honest. Can't remember how many leaves 2 front maybe 3 rear?

Hope that helps

Jon 

Cheer's Jon i will have a measure up and see 😉

I made a thread about this last year. I fitted quality GME parabolics (Made in UK) and britpart shocks. I was extremely dissapointed. The ride quality was only marginaly softer then the rusted 40 year old leafs they replaced.

In the end they did soften up but again compared to a coiler its horrific.

I never dug deeper but one thing I did notice was that the Britpart shocks dampen only on the return and not the compression. The stock shocks dampened in both directions, which I assume would actually provide a worse ride.

It would be interesting to see what your results are without shocks fitted.

I recommend cutting off half off the front bump stops as mine were bottoming out on speed bumps.

Edited by youngengineer

Right i've just got my landy in the garage to make a start stripping the rear brakes off to fit the new disc brake conversion when it arrives end of this week and whilst i was draining the rear diff of oil i decided to measure the rear shocks with just the weight of the landy on them, inside the rear is the spare, a small trolley jack a small box of tools and a spare can of engine oil and water and both rear shocks measure 19" now i googled it and the rear std shocks are 20" long so looks like i only have 1" of travel 🤔

Edited by Cornish Rattler

On 1/24/2021 at 4:51 PM, Badger110 said:

Try oiling the springs , when I replaced all mine the ride stiffened up after a year . Good blasting with oil n wax and they softened up :) K

I think oiling the springs only really works on traditional leaf packs, as the leaves are touching each other and generate friction. On a parabolic leaf spring they only at the ends and in the middle. But don't move against each other. 

me0sI1FxuSVeCed9iYDmTZZgayZw5znq7Munl9mv

The coils on a coil spring also shouldn't normally be touching unless the spring is compressed or coil-bound.

• Thanks 1

On 2/3/2021 at 5:38 PM, Chicken Drumstick said:

I think oiling the springs only really works on traditional leaf packs, as the leaves are touching each other and generate friction. On a parabolic leaf spring they only at the ends and in the middle. But don't move against each other. 

me0sI1FxuSVeCed9iYDmTZZgayZw5znq7Munl9mv

The coils on a coil spring also shouldn't normally be touching unless the spring is compressed or coil-bound.

That’s right.  Oiling parabolics helps prevent rust, but doesn’t affect their behaviour significantly, unlike semi elliptical leaf springs.

6 hours ago, Jon W said:

This is a good thread on the different shock length 

https://www.lrukforums.com/threads/parabolics-and-shocks.244233/

Yeah that's what I was comparing my shocks with, I've got a feeling that not all britpart shocks are the same as regards for the same vehicle meaning there are slight differences in length and probably wouldn't make much difference if using std springs but if using parabolic's with std shocks it can :o

I’ve had three full sets of Pro Comps, the first set replaced under the vendor’s warranty.  All rusted badly, not just through the thin and seemingly porous white paint, but especially the pistons, though a little slower when used without the condensation trapping gaiters.  The chrome plate is terrible, and rust sets in within months.  Then the seals get ruined and they leak.  You do well to get three years from a set.

The 1-ton dampers I used subsequently work very well with the HD parabolics.