285/75 tyres on stock defender

Hi Guys,

So i am looking into purchasing some insaturbo k2s for greenlaning an trialing, the tyres im after don't come in stock size and 285/75 is the closest i can get to stock without being ridiculously small. So i plan on using the tyre on a 16x8 inch rim with 0 offset. Has anyone got any advice on whether the turning circle will be absolutely awful for driving let alone trialing. Ideally i want as little stick out and as big of a turning circle to be able to efficiently trial and get close to winning, any info or tips regarding running tyres this big on a stock defender is needed and info about the steering angle. 

the tyres only come in these sizes and they offer ridiculous amounts of grip, so its a hard decision to make especially when im spending upwards of a thousand pounds on tyres and wheels.

205 / 60 R16 104 Q

285 / 75 R16 122/119 N-Q

235 / 70 R16 106 Q

265 / 70 R16 112 Q

That's roughly 11.5 inches wide and 33 inches tall.  It will drastically reduce steering lock and also rub when the axles are articulating.  You'd be better off with cheap 33x10.5s or 255/85x16s on 7 inch rims.  Plenty of options available.  Fat rubber isn't so good on Land Rovers - lots of drag, needing lots of power, causing half-shaft/diff failure.  A tall, skinny, self-cleaning tyre and they chug through anything. 

Further, do you really want super aggressive, terrain damaging tyres for green laning?  Sounds quite anti social.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ben jessup said:

Hi Guys,

So i am looking into purchasing some insaturbo k2s for greenlaning an trialing, the tyres im after don't come in stock size and 285/75 is the closest i can get to stock without being ridiculously small. So i plan on using the tyre on a 16x8 inch rim with 0 offset. Has anyone got any advice on whether the turning circle will be absolutely awful for driving let alone trialing. Ideally i want as little stick out and as big of a turning circle to be able to efficiently trial and get close to winning, any info or tips regarding running tyres this big on a stock defender is needed and info about the steering angle. 

That is quite a chunky size. They will probably stick out of the wheel arches on a standard 90. They also have big lugs, so the foot print is quite wider, they will rub the radius arms at ET00 and limit steering lock.

I think they look pretty cool, basically a Maxxis Trepador copy. But I don't think they perform very well on UK terrain. A mate ran them on his 80" trailer. He is now on 235/85 Diamonds instead.

33 minutes ago, deep said:

That's roughly 11.5 inches wide and 33 inches tall.  It will drastically reduce steering lock and also rub when the axles are articulating.  You'd be better off with cheap 33x10.5s or 255/85x16s on 7 inch rims.  Plenty of options available.  Fat rubber isn't so good on Land Rovers - lots of drag, needing lots of power, causing half-shaft/diff failure.  A tall, skinny, self-cleaning tyre and they chug through anything. 

Further, do you really want super aggressive, terrain damaging tyres for green laning?  Sounds quite anti social.

Very few choices in 33.10.50 and even less in 255/85.

1 hour ago, Ben jessup said:

the tyres only come in these sizes and they offer ridiculous amounts of grip, so its a hard decision to make especially when im spending upwards of a thousand pounds on tyres and wheels.

205 / 60 R16 104 Q

285 / 75 R16 122/119 N-Q

235 / 70 R16 106 Q

265 / 70 R16 112 Q

Over £1K on remould/copies? My genuine Maxxis 37" treps were about £1400 for the set from memory. 

35 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

My genuine Maxxis 37" treps were about £1400 for the set from memory. 

Surprised you can remember back that far.

Also, tyres prices have risen in recent years, and the pound slightly less favourable for foreign manufacturers, suspect you could be looking at £2k plus now for the same tyres.

• Haha 3

You will loose a lot of lock with tyres that wide, especially if you want to keep them within the arches. 

I run 255/75x16 on regular 7x16 modular rims. They are just inside the arch and permits as much lock as the swivels can be adjusted for. The do occasionally rub on full articulation.

My truck is a 110, and I do quite enjoy sneaking between trees, which is where steering lock really helps, as it does with trialling 😁

23 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Very few choices in 33.10.50 and even less in 255/85.

I can think of five different types of 255/85s.  I own two of them.  33x10.5s come up frequently but randomly on bargain tyre sites here.  When they do, they're usually quite cheap.

Yes the BFG KM3's are probably the best in this size (255/85R16). Not too keen on the Toyo's, have them in 235/85 and they are performed very subpar off road. Not as good as some AT's, certainly not a tyre I'd pick if I was going in any sort of proper mud. A friend also has them and used them to good effect overlanding. He has tried trialling on them and completely useless. Couldn't even make it to the start gate on some sections with them. I'd view them more as an All Terrain compared to some of the other choices.

That Cooper looks like a road tyre, certainly not even close to the type of thing the op is looking at. Although I have no first hand experience with them. But have run the STT Pros.

Maxxis can be hard to get in 255/85. And usually it is Crawlys not the Bighorns. They don't even list the either Bighorns in this size on their site:

https://www.maxxis.co.uk/tyres/car/4x4

The Creepy Crawly is an awesome tyre, but designed for rock crawling with a special compound for it. Not really suited to UK mud plugging and high wear rates on road due to the compound.

Only 3 hits for 255/85R16

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/t/tyres?utf8=✓&per_page=&search[tyre_width][]=255&search[tyre_profile][]=85&search[tyre_diameter][]=16#searchResults

Only 1 hit for 33.10.50R16, although I'd opt for this over the Trep copy if honest. They look much better in person (and better pics) --- op take a look -->

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/t/tyres?utf8=✓&per_page=&search[tyre_width][]=33&search[tyre_profile][]=10.50&search[tyre_diameter][]=16#searchResults

5 hits for 33.10.50R15. But one is the BFG KM3 and obviously you need 15" rims for these. Plus this size is about half inch shorter than the 255/85's. There is a Maxxis AT, not a bad run around tyre. I have a set on my Jimny. Very impressed for an AT, but not a tyre I'd buy for trails events, same for the BFG Km2 All Terrain. The Land Dragon again, same as above in the 16" rim size. These look the right sort of thing for trials, but maybe a tad too aggressive for laning and running about on. Last tyre listed is the General Grabber X3. I have a set on my 88 at the moment, in this size. Not bad, but not what I'd use for trails events. I bought them as a good set of road going, go anywhere tyres. The Km3 would probably make for a better trials tyre IMO. But the X3's have been pretty good so far I admit. :)

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/t/tyres?utf8=✓&per_page=&search[tyre_width][]=33&search[tyre_profile][]=10.50&search[tyre_diameter][]=16&search[tyre_width][]=33&search[tyre_profile][]=10.50&search[tyre_diameter][]=15#searchResults

I don't know of any other 255/85 tyres available at the moment. Hence my comment of, not much choice in this size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Escape said:

A mate is running GoodYear Wrangler MT/R in 255/85R16 on his Defender, mixed use. They perform well, but maybe not as agressive as you'd like.
Strangely, I can't find them listed in that size anymore.

Filip

Not seen those in that size in the UK. Again they are one of those tyres I just don't think work in the UK very well. Weren't they designed in Australia?

Oddly they were factory fit from Land Rover in 235/85R16. My Uncle has them on both his 12 plate and 65 plate Defenders. But they are noisy on the road, they make a humming sound you can hear inside and out of the vehicle. They are completely hopeless on the mud round our way too. And in the snow we had at the weekend my Uncle was not impressed with them at all. So much he went home and got the farm 300Tdi pickup out instead.

They aren't a bad all round road tyre and drive well on normal dry/wet roads. But most certainly not a trials tyre. There is a newer tread design of the MT/R sold outside the UK, that looks like it should perform better, but not an option.

Interesting your thoughts on the Toyo open country MTs, a lot of people have been raving about them, and I was looking at a set of these in 285 or 255 as my next tyre as by bfg km2 are past their best now and these looked better value as I don't do the road miles to warrant the BFGs, they will probably perish before they wear out. 

On 1/24/2021 at 6:35 PM, Ben jessup said:

Hi Guys,

It's already been said, but I'll reitterate it:

Greenlaning in the UK shouldn't need more than a decent All terrain, at most an inch or so higher and definitely no wider - if that doesn't work, get off the damn lane until it's fit to drive. 

Trialling requires lock as much as grip and articulation. Big wide tyres are for Mall cruisers, deserts and bog runs

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jon W said:

Interesting your thoughts on the Toyo open country MTs, a lot of people have been raving about them, and I was looking at a set of these in 285 or 255 as my next tyre as by bfg km2 are past their best now and these looked better value as I don't do the road miles to warrant the BFGs, they will probably perish before they wear out. 

The Toyos are ok, as a road bias vehicle that occasionally off roads. But they perform more akin to an All Terrain in the mud. The KM2 is much superior off road and almost as good on IMO.

The KM3 looks very impressive for serious off road use, one of the more aggressive non-remould tyres out there. Probably 2nd only to the GEOLANDAR X-M/T G005. Although I've not seen these in action yet, my Uncle has some and they look very aggressive in person in 7.50 x 16's. 

The General X3 I'd also rank several rungs higher than the Toyo off road too. But not as good as the KM3.

Depending on your use however, there are some pretty good remould tyres these days too.

1 hour ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

The Toyos are ok, as a road bias vehicle that occasionally off roads. But they perform more akin to an All Terrain in the mud. The KM2 is much superior off road and almost as good on IMO.

The KM3 looks very impressive for serious off road use, one of the more aggressive non-remould tyres out there. Probably 2nd only to the GEOLANDAR X-M/T G005. Although I've not seen these in action yet, my Uncle has some and they look very aggressive in person in 7.50 x 16's. 

The General X3 I'd also rank several rungs higher than the Toyo off road too. But not as good as the KM3.

Depending on your use however, there are some pretty good remould tyres these days too.

Interesting. I run Hankook RT03's at the moment, which I love. Great tyre. But I mainly run them becuase I wanted a specific size that isn't common; namely 215/85x16. However that size is available from Toyo. I don't need an MT. Not really. They are rubbish when you are towing off road (better to spin out, than to dig a hole); MT's are rubbish on Peat. Most MT's are rubbish on ice...  The Hankooks are getting a bit pricey...

19 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

Most MT's are rubbish on ice...  

There is a fair amount of truth here. It amazes me when I see folk with Simex Extreme Trekker or (copies of) out in the snow, raving about how much traction they have. If they were to try an A/T of some description I expect they'd find traction would notably far better. The most sure footed drive (and a bit of hooning) I've had in snow and ice was in my RRC on standard sized road tyres. Just being 4wd and having tyres that aren't worn out helps enormously.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

There is a fair amount of truth here. It amazes me when I see folk with Simex Extreme Trekker or (copies of) out in the snow, raving about how much traction they have. If they were to try an A/T of some description I expect they'd find traction would notably far better. The most sure footed drive (and a bit of hooning) I've had in snow and ice was in my RRC on standard sized road tyres. Just being 4wd and having tyres that aren't worn out helps enormously.

Exceptions to the rule would be those with sipes built in, like the Maxxis 764 or the Hankook RT03

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

Interesting. I run Hankook RT03's at the moment, which I love. Great tyre. But I mainly run them becuase I wanted a specific size that isn't common; namely 215/85x16. However that size is available from Toyo. I don't need an MT. Not really. They are rubbish when you are towing off road (better to spin out, than to dig a hole); MT's are rubbish on Peat. Most MT's are rubbish on ice...  The Hankooks are getting a bit pricey...

Peat and even ice a bit more rare here in the Beds/Bucks area. But I agree. Shame we can't get sipes cut in tyres like those in the USA can. I suspect it would massively improve some MTs.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, mickeyw said:

I think it depends on where you are in the country to some extent.

We've only had one bit of snow this winter and the roads cleared within about 2 hrs. No snow at all last winter.

I've found that in 'fresh' snow MT's often work very very well. It is the hard compacted snow or frozen ice packed snow that the tend to not work very well on. Although are still arguably superior to summer tyres still. The location bit comes into play, that we only ever have fresh snow to drive on in this part of the UK and other more southern regions. It never lasts long enough to truly become icy or compacted. So the MT is actually not a bad choice IMO.

I would agree on compacted snow and ice, an AT will normally work better. Mostly due to the siping an AT has. But I've found in fresh snow that mild AT's often don't work as well as MTs. Especially in 4" sort of depth or more. And if you go off road/laning in fresh snow, MT's have always worked a lot better for me.

Not every MT mind. Narrow ones work well and you do get some MT's with some degree of siping in too.

This was a few winters back, last time we had meaningful snow in the area. I'm in the green 88 running 7.00 x 16 aggressive remould MT's without sipes in. 

Note the Jap 4x4 in front of me. He was on a regular All Terrain pattern and in 4wd. But note as 21min 10 sec how much trouble he has pulling away on the fresh snow. Then compare to how easily my 88 pulled away on MT's without spinning a wheel.

The grip levels were great, nicely balanced in braking, cornering and moving off. It felt fully in control at all times. We drove for an hour or so before heading off for some off roading then some laning to complete the day before heading to the pub (how we miss days like that at the moment!)

The camera car is my brothers 90 on some 7.50 x 16 MT's, I forget which pattern. Remould of some sort maybe diamonds, no sipes. And the white 90 pickup you see coming down the hill is my Uncle. Also on MT's (235/85's).

Dq2xWUah.jpg

hLK9vtgh.jpg

I had wide tyres on both 110's when I bought them and got rid as soon as possible, on  the road they seem much worse for deviating from the line, and I am sure they are harder on and find any weakness in radius arm bushes. Only on soft sand can I see any advantage??

7 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I had a set of cheap Chinese Free Passer 215/85x16s on my old work car.  They were brilliant, so much so that I got another set when they eventually wore out.  You can get exactly the same tyre under the brand Comforcer (something like that).  It's got a directional tread and was one of those rare tyres that works well in soft sand, deep mud and rocks, while having pretty good road manners (other than increased stopping distance in the rain if you hit paint or very smooth bits...).  Also, while they are very cheap, they are well made and balance very easily, unlike some cheapies out there.

I believe this size is a replacement for the 7.00x16, much like the 235/85 replaces the 7.50x16.