Security Door Hinges - Front and Rear - Options/Experiences?

On 1/28/2021 at 4:47 PM, Troll Hunter said:

I seem to remember seeing some time ago a mod that fitted to the inside top of of the door that prevented the door from being removed by overlapping the steel windscreen frame.  Normal door opening was not affected as the security mod rotated away from the frame.  Sorry, but I can't remember where/when I saw this mod.  Perhaps somebody with a few more functioning memory cells can help.

Mike

SimonR was doing something with that, I think.

The Optimill hinge plates look very similar to the TMD ones, and I think they’d work well.  They’ll do for me - I think they’d be every bit as effective as the fancy and expensive hinges.

As for bonnet hinges, I put a set of simple folded steel plate hinges that had aplastic bush for the bulkhead furl and some stainless inserts on my wife’s 2009 90 and they were excellent.  Less clumpy and clumsy looking than the machined type above, but very secure and absolutely no chance of developing squeaks or rattles like the standard fare.  

I was texting this guy at S C Engineering, I don't know if he has a different website, this was all I could find but his work looks good. He's setting up to have them cerakoted so I'm still waiting on bonnet hinges, around 100 and the door hinges are about 300. (I have no idea where to find the British pound key on my computer haha.). Not sure the price on the rear door and windscreen hinges.

https://www.facebook.com/SCEngineeringsuffolk/posts/polished-up-some-bonnet-hinges-shiny/1185040225010310/

Sean

Edited by sgo70

• 1 year later...

I think those plates from TMD would work well, using standard hinges.  Most doors are stolen by unbolting the hinges from the bulkhead, not door from hinge, and while the standard hinge won’t stop that happening, the plates are secured by the door bolts.  From outside, loosening the door bolts will result in a slackening of the nylock nuts inside, but only slight, before they rotate with the bolt, so the plates will be retained.  The plates hook behind the door seal, so it’d take quite a lot of force to pull the front edge of the door open as thieves normally do to then reach the door lock slider - they would need to bend the plates or the seal lip, and would likely damage the door first, so would likely give up.  If they drill the bolt heads off completely and then push the bolts through, all bets are off, but there is nothing to stop them drilling out the studs on the expensive hinges either- they will be in the same location, so a plain looking hinge isn’t much more difficult to drill than the exposed bolts.