Jump to content

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, mmgemini said:

.....The coolant in a 300Tdi radiator enters the radiator at the bottom of the left hand tank, then goes straight up that tank to the outlet. Nowhere is it in anyay pushed by coolant pressured into the matrix.

 

Ill just leave this here....

 

Screen Shot 2021-01-30 at 9.50.03 am.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you take the bottom hose off and the top bung out of the top of the radiator and lookn down you can see fresh air. So how does the coolant get forced through the matrix.

Yep I put the coolant flow the wrong way round.

No 12. What does that do ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, western said:

No 12 is the purge/bleed valve connected by hose 11 to header tank.

There isn't a proper header tank on a Tdi. It is below the highest part of the engine, Yes but what does that purge bleed valve do. What would happen if it was taken out ?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm - will have 200, 300, td5, 2.8i and V8 Defenders in the workshop next week, might be interesting to try a little back to back comparison with an I/R thermometer on rad inlet/outlet. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

Hmm - will have 200, 300, td5, 2.8i and V8 Defenders in the workshop next week, might be interesting to try a little back to back comparison with an I/R thermometer on rad inlet/outlet. 

That would be great. Try and control conditions as much as possible to keep same for each vehicle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eightpot said:

Hmm - will have 200, 300, td5, 2.8i and V8 Defenders in the workshop next week, might be interesting to try a little back to back comparison with an I/R thermometer on rad inlet/outlet. 

Super

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got the Allisport wider rad and front mounted intercooler fitted to my 200tdi 110 , but I haven't got round to fitting a proper temp gauge yet it's in the shed somewhere just not had the time to do it . There is a thread I started on here after reading Daan's post about intercoolers where I measured the intake and outtake from the front mounted intercooler the temperature drop was quite significant , I planned to carry on with it at some stage but other things happened and with rebuilding a 90 I never got round to it and as I now plan to fit a BMW M57 into the 110 which has been on the cards since before COVID I haven't thought anymore about it . As for the radiator I fitted it from when I rebuilt the 110 thinking that it might help cooling when I tweaked the pump and upped the power , naively possibly as it was my first Defender and first time playing with them , would I fit one again ? No , I don't think it made a difference but it might work better with a standard intercooler which would be hard as it takes up the space occupied by it , but when I first started running it on the road and it is my daily driver I put Evan's waterless coolant in it and I think it ran slightly cooler than with standard stuff in , I know I can't give any data to back it up as I only had the standard Land Rover gauge fitted the needle seemed to sit slightly more to the cool side than it does know but it still got up to temp , mine warms up quite quickly and chucks out nice warm air .

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, ianmayco68 said:

I've got the Allisport wider rad and front mounted intercooler fitted to my 200tdi 110 , but I haven't got round to fitting a proper temp gauge yet it's in the shed somewhere just not had the time to do it . There is a thread I started on here after reading Daan's post about intercoolers where I measured the intake and outtake from the front mounted intercooler the temperature drop was quite significant , I planned to carry on with it at some stage but other things happened and with rebuilding a 90 I never got round to it and as I now plan to fit a BMW M57 into the 110 which has been on the cards since before COVID I haven't thought anymore about it . As for the radiator I fitted it from when I rebuilt the 110 thinking that it might help cooling when I tweaked the pump and upped the power , naively possibly as it was my first Defender and first time playing with them , would I fit one again ? No , I don't think it made a difference but it might work better with a standard intercooler which would be hard as it takes up the space occupied by it , but when I first started running it on the road and it is my daily driver I put Evan's waterless coolant in it and I think it ran slightly cooler than with standard stuff in , I know I can't give any data to back it up as I only had the standard Land Rover gauge fitted the needle seemed to sit slightly more to the cool side than it does know but it still got up to temp , mine warms up quite quickly and chucks out nice warm air .

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated. Given the differences in 200Tdi to 300Tdi and then to 2.8 Tgv, I think its still inconclusive.  TBH I was really interested in seeing the plumbing set up for the 300Tdi. I really wish LR didn't change the set up from the 200Tdi (I feel it was noticeably better).  While ill probably run an off the shelf front mount IC I will be working with an Australian company to build my radiator (copper). Ill have to look for your IC thread, and good luck with the M57, they seem to be a good engine choice for our LRs. 👍 

I should have also added Im not a fan of Evans waterless coolant. I had asked a mate about it previously and feeback was its basically pure glycol, less thermal conductivity than water/glycol mix, more viscous than water....

 

Edited by uninformed
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

How hard would it be to plumb in a 200tdi rad? Surely with some imaginative pipework for the top hose its doable? That plus a deeper core and more coolant must all help?

 

IIRC @vulcan bomber on here had a full width TD rad fitted with a front mounted intercooler from a saab. Thats with his 200tdi so anything can be made to fit. 

Edited by reb78
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, reb78 said:

How hard would it be to plumb in a 200tdi rad? Surely with some imaginative pipework for the top hose its doable? That plus a deeper core and more coolant must all help?

 

IIRC @vulcan bomber on here had a full width TD rad fitted with a front mounted intercooler from a saab. Thats with his 200tdi so anything can be made to fit. 

Given the water pump is on the other side, and the 300Tdi 200mm/8" closer to the radiator it is a pain in the butt and doesn't fill me with confidence. I can get a wider tank made here with the inlet/outlet on the correct side for my engine. Custom hoses would need to be made, but I dont have to worry about clearance issues. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, reb78 said:

How hard would it be to plumb in a 200tdi rad? Surely with some imaginative pipework for the top hose its doable? That plus a deeper core and more coolant must all help?

 

IIRC @vulcan bomber on here had a full width TD rad fitted with a front mounted intercooler from a saab. Thats with his 200tdi so anything can be made to fit. 

That's how my 90 was. Full width N/A or TD rad with a P38 intercooler hugging it and the wings chopped to clear. It got hot a couple of times, but only on the motorway when the rad was stuffed with mud.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to the mention of a Td5 rad type setup.... Mine with the TD rad and P38 intercooler meant there was a country mile of pipework to get the intake air from the turbo to the intercooler, through the intercooler and then back across the engine bay to the inlet manifold.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Going back to the mention of a Td5 rad type setup.... Mine with the TD rad and P38 intercooler meant there was a country mile of pipework to get the intake air from the turbo to the intercooler, through the intercooler and then back across the engine bay to the inlet manifold.

Thanks, I had figured as much. And even worse the coolant hose layout for Td5 vs 300Tdi. I had heard of someone fitting a D2 Td5 radiator into a D1 300Tdi so figured Id ask.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why not just fit a baffle plate in the header tank with the small bleed hole instead of large bypass, so the coolant is forced to do its double pass through the rad core instead of a significant amount brush Ning into the top of the header and straight out the bottom?  I don’t know how effective it’ll be as I have no idea of the relative proportions of flow through the core versus bypassing it, but adding a plate and brazing the header closed again can’t be that costly and may do the job.  Sounds like there isn’t much to lose by trying it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, mmgemini said:

There isn't a proper header tank on a Tdi. It is below the highest part of the engine, Yes but what does that purge bleed valve do. What would happen if it was taken out ?

 

You get vapour locks build up in all the high spots of the system, particularly the rad top and thermostat housing.  Same if it blocks up with sludge.  The good news is that you can rod it out with a bit of welding rod and it works fine (I’m not sure it’s really anything more than a Y-piece rather than a valve), but you need to be careful as the plastic becomes very brittle with age.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a link to the intercooler thread https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/104474-intercoolers-and-other-bits/ , managed to dig it up , on the evans stuff I had a look on there website out of curiosity it says it’s made from synthetic based materials and is none toxic but doesn’t say exactly what it’s made of .

 On intercoolers , on the 300tdi I’m rebuilding I fitted a standard shaped intercooler but it was deeper I had to mod the frame which was easy enough there’s some photos in my build thread if you’re interested in that . I had a thought on fitting a 200tdi rad to the 300tdi which is totally doable and it’s always better to keep parts standard . You’d probably be better removing the viscous fan and fitting an electric one then if you use silicone hoses like I have they have Ali joiner pieces so all you’d need is the silicone hose lengths for in between . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Why not just fit a baffle plate in the header tank with the small bleed hole instead of large bypass, so the coolant is forced to do its double pass through the rad core instead of a significant amount brush Ning into the top of the header and straight out the bottom?  I don’t know how effective it’ll be as I have no idea of the relative proportions of flow through the core versus bypassing it, but adding a plate and brazing the header closed again can’t be that costly and may do the job.  Sounds like there isn’t much to lose by trying it.

I hope you are not suggesting this for me.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, uninformed said:

I hope you are not suggesting this for me.....

Why not?  I didn’t know the existing baffle plate has a dirty great hole in it, but if that’s the case, closing that hole to force the coolant through the core should make a big difference and might get the results you need.  It has to be easier and cheaper than trying to source unusual rads and cobbling together difficult plumbing for a custom solution if you already have that rad fitted and it’s in good condition.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

Here’s a link to the intercooler thread https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/104474-intercoolers-and-other-bits/ , managed to dig it up , on the evans stuff I had a look on there website out of curiosity it says it’s made from synthetic based materials and is none toxic but doesn’t say exactly what it’s made of .

 On intercoolers , on the 300tdi I’m rebuilding I fitted a standard shaped intercooler but it was deeper I had to mod the frame which was easy enough there’s some photos in my build thread if you’re interested in that . I had a thought on fitting a 200tdi rad to the 300tdi which is totally doable and it’s always better to keep parts standard . You’d probably be better removing the viscous fan and fitting an electric one then if you use silicone hoses like I have they have Ali joiner pieces so all you’d need is the silicone hose lengths for in between . 

Yes I had found your thread and read through it, Thanks. Good temp drop on your 200Tdi 110 with front mount. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Why not?  I didn’t know the existing baffle plate has a dirty great hole in it, but if that’s the case, closing that hole to force the coolant through the core should make a big difference and might get the results you need.  It has to be easier and cheaper than trying to source unusual rads and cobbling together difficult plumbing for a custom solution if you already have that rad fitted and it’s in good condition.

pages 2,3 and 4 Ive already discussed that it is common here in Oz and that ive had it done. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/01/2021 at 12:46 AM, reb78 said:

How hard would it be to plumb in a 200tdi rad? Surely with some imaginative pipework for the top hose its doable? That plus a deeper core and more coolant must all help?

 

IIRC @vulcan bomber on here had a full width TD rad fitted with a front mounted intercooler from a saab. Thats with his 200tdi so anything can be made to fit. 

It's got a TD full width Rad in it, the intercooler I cant remember what it came from now, but its definitely full width, I cut the inside of the wings for the inlet and out let to fit through.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We use cookies to ensure you get the best experience. By using our website you agree to our Cookie Policy