SECURITY - pedal lock/ transferbox lock

I think I got to the same place by 'default'. I have the Wright off-road acoustic matting in my car and didn't want to lose it. Foundry4x4 weren't keen to sell me the pedal lock as they weren't sure it could be fitted 'DIY' with the matting in place, and in the digital age, didn't want to see negative reviews. No argument really - we had a good, positive chat, but left it at that.

I then saw one of the covers on ebay, bought that, and fettled it into place.  It works fine - maybe a little tight against the bulkhead soundproofing in the locked position - but still useable and effective. The matting keeps it off the floor just like a filler strip.

IMG_20180916_1544015.jpg

IMG_20180916_1420156.jpg

The most "obvious" visible deterrent I have for would be thieves is a removable steering wheel which is a small sporty Momo boy racer steering wheel (well it it the ultimate boy racer vehicle after all.......).

When I worked further afield I used to park at the train station, remove it, fit it in my work bag and take it on the train.

I had a few odd looks at work when I got my sandwiches out at lunch time.....😊

@Northwards - I just fitted my Wright Off Road matting last weekend. Theres no way I could possibly drill more holes in it!!!!  😁 

ATB

G

Edited by gruntus

23 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

I have the pedal lock and column protector. Only problem with the pedal lock is that it seems to want to gouge the floor at either edge where it hinges. I wish there was a fix for that, it's almost like it needs a filler strip under it to raise just a few mm.

I'd not thought of that!  I guess because the condition of my floor could only improve with a few gouge marks!

I would suggest spacing it off with a washer on each screw - as a simple fix?

I also have Wright Off Road matting - and I just cut the floor out of it so it now slots in as a mat.  Drilling some holes in it would probabl have been a better plan in retrospect.  I wasn't happy cutting it about at the time - but it didn't affect it's performance.  It's still one of my favorite purchases!

19 hours ago, gruntus said:

The most "obvious" visible deterrent I have for would be thieves is a removable steering wheel

At Peterborough one year, there was someone selling a steering wheel hub which locked / unlocked - unlocked, it just spun around.

It was really nicely made - but it's always a worry that it will mysteriously unlock itself at an inconvenient moment!  Removing it has more deterrant value anyway, so long as you can't still steer the vehicle using mole grips or similar.

1 hour ago, simonr said:

I also have Wright Off Road matting - and I just cut the floor out of it so it now slots in as a mat.  Drilling some holes in it would probabl have been a better plan in retrospect.  I wasn't happy cutting it about at the time - but it didn't affect it's performance.  It's still one of my favorite purchases!

That’s what I have in mind for mine.  I don’t really want the plate sitting on top of the matting while driving.  Whether it is a removable mat or is taped semipermanently to the cover plate is the question - if the plate already presses on the pedals when closed, the thickness of the mat may be a problem.

4 hours ago, simonr said:

At Peterborough one year, there was someone selling a steering wheel hub which locked / unlocked - unlocked, it just spun around.

It was really nicely made - but it's always a worry that it will mysteriously unlock itself at an inconvenient moment!  Removing it has more deterrant value anyway, so long as you can't still steer the vehicle using mole grips or similar.

Is it the "Optimill" boss you're thinking of? It's another great bit of kit. Where I am, rightly or wrongly, I don't get overly excited about security, but I have several 'layers' in place for those occasions when I'm less than comfortable about where I have to leave the car. The optimill removable boss,with the lockable cover is one of the first things I'll use because it's just so easy.

^^^^ Snagger - for me, the pedal cover is effectively my floor now, fitted over the matting. I was a little concerned that it might be a little slippy but it hasn't turned out that way. The cover might just hit the clutch pedal when lifted, but only taking up the slack until it hits the spring. If there was a mat glued to it, it certainly would hit the pedals.

• Like 1

I have the Optimil Wheel boss and cover, It is a great bit of kit. I also have the docking station fitted on the dash below the wheel where the swivel lock resides when driving and the wheel goes when off. I thought it might get in the way when driving but it doesn't and the wheel is out of sight when parked up. I also have a pedal box but must get around to fitting it, I have to move the bonnet release catch first nice to know it will still work if fitted over my matting.

On 2/5/2021 at 3:05 PM, ThreePointFive said:

I have the pedal lock and column protector. Only problem with the pedal lock is that it seems to want to gouge the floor at either edge where it hinges. I wish there was a fix for that, it's almost like it needs a filler strip under it to raise just a few mm.

I was looking at this, and the three things I thought of that I would do were:

Paint the back of it with non-slip load liner so it becomes a serviceable floor in itself

Paint the front red or yellow or flouro so that when some scrote looks at my Landy he sees it has some theft protection

Fit some 12mm rubber P-profile draft excluder round the edges about half an inch in to stop it rattling and make it easy to lift...

On 2/5/2021 at 1:17 PM, simonr said:

No reason at all.  The only reason I didn't make one was not having a Series to play with!  Foundry4x4 were talking about a Series version, and a Left Hand Drive version - but I don't know if they came to anything.

Series & Defender bulkheads are so similar, I doubt it would take much adapting to fit - at a guess!

I wouldn't limit yourself to just one brand though - I've seen some really great products from other companies over the last few years, with one or two "I wish I'd thought of that" moments!

I made 1 fit my series 3 by using an early 90 brake pedal tower and servo. The series master fitted directly to the servo. Once i fitted the pedal it was a direct fit apart from the return on the left of the pedal lock needed 10 mm removing to allow it to fold a bit more 

17 hours ago, Junglie said:

I was looking at this, and the three things I thought of that I would do were:

Paint the back of it with non-slip load liner so it becomes a serviceable floor in itself

Paint the front red or yellow or flouro so that when some scrote looks at my Landy he sees it has some theft protection

Fit some 12mm rubber P-profile draft excluder round the edges about half an inch in to stop it rattling and make it easy to lift...

I was thinking the same thing - have black and yellow tape on the underside to make it highly visible when “locked”, and either have a area of Wright Off Road mat fitted to its top side or, if installed above that mat, use grip tape (like skate board covering) to make it prettier and less slippery.

Simon, does the unit lock around the brake pedal, or is there a fixing bolted to the upper surface of the foot well?  Just wondering if it’d fit the fatter U-section pedal of the Series vehicle.  I’m wondering if the pedal is also in the same position relative to the hinge line, as the Series foot wells are differently angles to the Defender, with both top and bottom slants steeper than later models.  That angle is allowed for in the pedal box dimensions, but I’m not sure if the final pedal positions are very similar.

For the X eng pdal lock there's nothing bolted to the top of the footwell. It works simply by a ratcheted, spring loaded claw that lines up with the brake pedal and then into the slot.

I've no experience of Series vehicles so couldn't say one way or the other I'm afraid.

• Like 1