Little Fabrication project - Corner weight Scale Leveling

One thing most on here will have noticed with my build is a slight obsession with taking weight out of the car wherever possible, some might say to offset my arse and lunchbox :D.

So back in November for my 30th I put my birthday money together, matched it, and purchased a set of Intercomp corner weight scales.

image.png.be65ed06362952c94a9422e787819000.png

So that gives me 4 billet aluminium ~385mm square pads (700Kg each), screen, varying functions on the screen for individual weights, L/R percentages, diagonal percentages and even the capability of calculating CoG.

However the floor of the workshop really isn't that flat, so put these together. Threaded bosses in each corner and a folded section for the scale to sit in. They'll then each have an adjustable foot in each corner.

image.png.9272bdc7dcfbb1e456ef0f1b5d186d4b.png

So whilst I need the leveling ability its also a bonus if there's any interest in corner weights for road/track cars which will be more sensitive to the pads not being level. My plan with these is that I can weigh the car as it's put together as I'm a little worried about it gaining some pork! It also means that I can see what the front/back and left/right weights look like as I go along and where I have a choice I can move things.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Whilst this is very useful and interesting, will you please just build your truck. I'd quite like to see it before I shuffle off this mortal coil. :stirthepot:

At this rate he'll be pulling the engine out and putting an electric motor in before it hits the road :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

Slight tool interlude.... love my little air 90Deg die grinder.... perfect for cleaning stuff up. Will happily smooth stuff without being aggressive or you can put a coarser disc on and rip through mill scale. Perfect for cleaning up the threaded bosses for the scales. Big thanks to a mate at work for sorting them, bits of tube parted off to length in the lathe edges cleaned up and a tap run through them.

5.thumb.JPEG.74bf498636a6f32dd7124ab9a2e6e720.JPEG

The work on the rear tub along with some other future work, and a good month of OT meant I could do some man-maths and upgrade the TIG. 315A 3ph ACDC, pulse etc lots of things to play with and can always be upgraded to a watercooled setup at a later date. Foot pedal is somewhere in the workshop too :lol:

6.thumb.JPEG.6a433f185bb9f6a5fab1b168dbae81ea.JPEG

This project is also the first project on the new fixture bench. 16mm holes on a 50mm pitch. It's 1000mm x 1000mm for the main bench, and I've got a couple of extra bolt on wings to make it up to a 1000x2000 table when I need it. Got a trolley for my bandsaw and bed fabrication project coming up. Will do a thread for the bandsaw trolley.... might for the bed too if people are interested. 

Only bit of this project that really benefited from the new fixture bench was this step. A couple of the corners were a little loose on the threaded bosses so with the bench dogs dropped in I could push it up then weld it. Love the irwin quick grips... and these that can push too are great. Just got to keep them away from lots of welding as they melt :lol:. 

7.thumb.JPEG.647de6de1f2d063bac8b2b589925c19d.JPEG

Also helpful for holding stuff at the right height on the side (missing the drop in clamp). 

8.thumb.JPEG.052abad0e32d50b0fba90623fec80fe6.JPEG

Then comes another purchase which I really didn't want to have to make but needs must. My old Optrel welding helmet died. It's had a good innings at about 7.5/8 years old but most annoying as I wasn't planning for it after the above TIG and bench purchase :angry:. I put off buying an air fed mask as my optrel was expensive at about £300 from memory and didn't want to ditch it for a new one whilst it was still working. For those that don't know, the fumes given off from welding aren't great to breath and in a commercial environment there are various rules on having local extraction and/or RPE like air fed masks etc. So If I'm buying something it's time to go for that. My old Optrel was fantastic vision wise, but this new one is something else. Think of a standard helmet being like having a bedsheet over your face, my old optrel being some kind of tights-like ( :ph34r: ) material, this new one is like nothing is there. I still keep going to pull it down and find it already is down. The field of vision is amazing too as its shaped to sit over your nose. 64019379013__DD5EA313-AFDB-4023-B7FF-9C34448B02CF.thumb.JPEG.2a5b8ff38dbce686fb0101d21597a3c2.JPEG

As well as the vision, new lid also has some really cool features like auto selecting the shade. So it dims like others, but it also works out by itself exactly where to dim to each time. This means you can switch between different processes/amperages and it just works the same every time. You can choose to run it manually but haven't found the need to yet. It can also be tweaked +/-2 shades either side of what it decides. You can also tune how quickly it returns to bright, so heavier longer stuff can make it return slower, or you can have it in a tack mode for quick stuff.

You know its posh when it comes in it's own bag :lol:. It bloody should do for what it cost too. 

A59C0F6C-D354-428A-B208-6DDE2F04702C.thumb.jpg.ce552e5a3651df30730fa71705089804.jpg

As the new TIG uses a WP26 torch I couldn't use the usual consumables I've got available to convert it to a gas lense. So I treated it to a coming home present from Furick in the shape of their starter kit of all their large ceramics, lense conversion bits and even their pyrex cups too. Expensive, but great. Going from a standard torch to a lense is a jump.... the Furick stuff is a jump again. 

9.thumb.JPEG.7dffc05a4171ee4c8d72fb4db48d3609.JPEG

• Like 3

Lovely little 3mm fillet.... 1mm rod, about 50a.

10.thumb.JPEG.03b3a254e647ebd65f59d78522c6fe92.JPEG

Oooo Aaahhh oooo ahhhh feck its getting hot aahhhhh let go of the trigger and the rod :lol: It was hot! Result of running very low on 1mm rods.

11.thumb.JPEG.c1ae80d36ef2ef26cc018de9ec448f0b.JPEG

This got even warmer, same rod... that's a whisker under 1/2" long :P 

12.thumb.JPEG.9ad88ad897b370700069d3d532a1ef12.JPEG

Running the rods down to the bitter end... then finding one last rod :lol: 

13.thumb.jpg.499f8e7a846ebc68c64f1e99190ecbff.jpg

The top faces were all welded up... not really needed and nothing structural, but when these get coated eventually, they'll make a difference.

14.thumb.JPEG.9fbb6c46aab129e9a412fcdacbef5978.JPEG

15.thumb.JPEG.f4f76fc47be7e0e306add12ce6d21589.JPEG

Finished corner complete with foot.

16.thumb.JPEG.ebd4182294d76363a51412ca621bc3ce.JPEG

And lastly (for now) a picture of the 4 finished. Will post a picture in use at some point and a picture once they get coated too.

17.thumb.JPEG.727508a2816dcfe3ec87218cdad4764a.JPEG

• Like 2

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Depends how heavy the 110 axle loads are Ralph... These are 700Kg a corner max. That said heavier axle weights can be done by bridging a pair per tyre.

I don't know what each axle is carrying loaded but I do know its still within the VIN plate axle weights, maybe try it unloaded first. wouldn't want to break the scales. 

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Now stop faffing around and finish the damn truck! :SVAgoaway:

👍

I'm half tempted to set Ross the challenge - can he finish the truck before I finish:

1. Reassembly of 110's engine due to slight overheating issue with pallet racking in tow
  2. SL35 into 6x6
  3. ISO locks on cherry picker + bed
  4. 1UZ into Defender
  5. Machine shop
  6. Exterior of house: rendering, painting and driveways (only 600sqm of rendering to do)

I think I stand a better than fair chance.

• Haha 1