Exporting to Australia

I may have a work opportunity in Australia requiring relocation. I was wondering if anyone on here has exported a Landy from UK to Australia; whether it would worth doing, any advice on shipping, and any idea of cost etc., from past experience.

Cheers
Jake 

Permanent relocation or temporary ?

If it's permanent you might be eligible for a personal import as long as you can meet the criteria. You need to have a visa that entitles you to apply for citizenship for a personal import to apply, you also need to have proof of ownership and use of the vehicle for at least 12 months prior. There are also options is the vehicle is over 25 years old. You really don't want to have to pay import duty as that can be as much as the value of the vehicle or even more !

The age of the vehicle can also make a difference, as can the state that you want to enter and register the vehicle in. NSW, for example, tend to be a lot more flexible than WA so shipping into Perth is more complicated than shipping into Sydney.

As for shipping, that's relatively easy but costs of containers are very high at the moment due to COVID, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see it costing 7k plus for a one way shipment at the moment. You might want to consider if your Land Rover is special enough to you to warrant the cost of shipping - you can pick up second hand Defenders in Australia fairly easily and they tend to have a lot less corrosion that UK examples ! You might also want to look at cost of ownership out there, depending on where you live, you might find getting hold of spares or a mechanic that has any experience of them can be difficult especially the further north and west you are.

If you haven't done so already, join the AULRO forum.

As an Aussie - unless your Defender is something special that is not available here, I would sell it in the UK and buy something here - while not all that cheap, they a plentiful so you should find what you want - none of our Defenders are V8s - diesels only.

I have imported a car from the UK some time back - I went RoRo rather than container and when you take the costs and hassles it will just not be worth the effort.  What sort of Defender do you have or will want when you are here?

Cheers gents. My Defender is nothing special, (only to me haha) and was really just throwing it out there to see how easy it would be. It would be a permanent import as I'd be relocating to WA so perhaps makes more sense to sell and re-buy.

21 hours ago, Dave W said:

costing 7k plus

So this is absolutely a no 😆

6 hours ago, garrycol said:

they a plentiful so you should find what you want

Good to know also. 

I think this has answered my question! Thanks for the help :)