However, progress is still good no matter how little

Keep up the good work Regards Stephen

Thanks mate 👍

8 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Hey Serg, 

what's the DCV going to do? 🤔

Cheers

Dave

It’s to control direction of vacuum flow to another system. Still lots to figure out and it’s a bit of a maybe at best. Not much else to say at this stage lol…

• Thanks 1

This would have to be the most boring, tedious job, and probably a good representation of my stupidity…. 

Wolf/HD wheel studs cut down to suit wolf/130 rims. Im running early 110 front hubs (pre 94) all round. Even though they have longer studs than the later hubs, they stick out less. The end of the stud would be a good 3mm inside the wheel nut, then factor in the bevel/lead in on thread. Obviously I wasn’t happy with that. I had sourced some other aftermarket LR studs that were a good length, but the head was a touch smaller OD, and the shoulder underside of head was square, not beveled (which the hub is ). So I wasn’t happy using those either…

yes I used a hacksaw 🤪

and here we are 🤦🏻‍♂️… Wolf top, cut down wolf, factory original bottom

IMG_1535.thumb.jpeg.a8f2aa5fc8d8693b911d62ec40aec184.jpeg

IMG_1490.thumb.jpeg.b2a5c85bc32025461d9f3738e1c53251.jpeg

IMG_1534.thumb.jpeg.eb32b2e01c178a0368357836746c8ac5.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

You’ll have a right arm like Quagmire in Family guy…

53 minutes ago, uninformed said:

IMG_1538.jpeg.df5a5abb72aca6d731461f8b2f4440b1.jpeg

If the guy in the cartoon represents Quagmire in Family guy… then one or both needs to sort out their right from their left.

I can offer no useful comments about the studs.

Regards.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Interesting on the stud front. I've used an off the shelf stud which was all the right shape which has given me similar stick out front and rear. That's with early 90/110 front hubs and imperial early disco or RRC rear hubs.

The problem I found when diving into the world of studs and ordering them, was part numbers did not guarantee length and or head design. I bought small packs of various and even 30 when thinking on the right track (going by the absolute reassurance of others) , then the end result was where I’m at 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

I cheated when I did mine, used a Milwaukee cordless bandsaw, all done in less than 20 minutes...

Regards Stephen

There are lots of tools/machinery you have that I’d love 🥰

• Haha 1

Just now, uninformed said:

The problem I found when diving into the world of studs and ordering them, was part numbers did not guarantee length and or head design. I bought small packs of various and even 30 when thinking on the right track (going by the absolute reassurance of others) , then the end result was where I’m at 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ouch :(. I ordered the 'right' ones for each end.... later realised on type would work perfectly both ends so ordered repeats of one type a few years later and got the exact same bits through.

4 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

What's the rationale for cutting the studs shorter than they come?

That's been a LOOOONG conversation many times!

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I used a lathe for mine... but mine are cut-down M16x1.5 bolts...

Less rotational and unsprung mass of course……

😆

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I used a lathe for mine... but mine are cut-down M16x1.5 bolts...

Stops the high speed air whistling through the threads up to the nuts and creating a high pressure scenario that blows the nuts off the wheels when you get to 45mph. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, uninformed said:

There are lots of tools/machinery you have that I’d love 🥰

Shame we are not just down the road from each other, you would be welcome to borrow....... in exchange for some of that exquisite tig welding of yours.............lol

Regards Stephen

27 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Shame we are not just down the road from each other, you would be welcome to borrow....... in exchange for some of that exquisite tig welding of yours.............lol

Regards Stephen

Be happy to mate 👍

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Interesting on the stud front. I've used an off the shelf stud which was all the right shape which has given me similar stick out front and rear. That's with early 90/110 front hubs and imperial early disco or RRC rear hubs.

do you happen to know wich one's you got ?

3 hours ago, TD5toV8110 said:

Hey Serg,

are you going to electroplate them? 

The ends will turn orange real quick! 

Cheers

Dave

I’ll have to do something. At worst I have some zinc rich black spray paint (that would require periodic touch ups)

I wasn’t keen on sending away for zinc plating for risk of hydrogen embrittlement.

maybe I could do one of those DIY chemical electro set ups. (More bloody research 🤦🏻‍♂️😁)

I’ve already pressed half of them in, but they do stick out beyond the drive flange mounting surface so it’s still possible to place the hubs studs down in a solution and the first 5mm will get done at least…

I know the UK is worse for rust in ways, but it’s a pain here. The rear of chassis is a mess and I just had to grab my front calipers out of a storage tub due to them starting to head south badly…

my kingdom for a real shed lol…

• Like 1

It's the humidity and proximity to the sea that gets us...

I got a chunk of Zinc from a boat shop, used an old phone charger and some hydrochloric acid.

Puts a light coat of zinc on whatever you dunk in it (overnight)

Plenty YouTube videos showing how to.

Cheers

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 1:11 AM, uninformed said:

I’ll have to do something. At worst I have some zinc rich black spray paint (that would require periodic touch ups)

I wasn’t keen on sending away for zinc plating for risk of hydrogen embrittlement.

maybe I could do one of those DIY chemical electro set ups. (More bloody research 🤦🏻‍♂️😁)

I’ve already pressed half of them in, but they do stick out beyond the drive flange mounting surface so it’s still possible to place the hubs studs down in a solution and the first 5mm will get done at least…

I know the UK is worse for rust in ways, but it’s a pain here. The rear of chassis is a mess and I just had to grab my front calipers out of a storage tub due to them starting to head south badly…

my kingdom for a real shed lol…

Maybe you can let it electronic galvanizing? Hydrogen embrittlement is mostly only problem with thermal galvanizing. Also keep in mind the tensile strenght, this has impact on the fact you will get hydrogen embrittlement. 

See also here for some more info: https://galvanizeit.org/knowledgebase/article/hydrogen-embrittlement

Edited by Tim94