Custom exhaust

Does anyone know the C&U regs or MOT for where and exhaust must be routed?

I'm looking for a different route and making up a custom exhaust.

e.g where it comes out on the body? how long the tubes can be after the final silencer....

I've never heard of the MOT being too fussy. As long as what you have is intact and not excessively noisy.

I've seen many 90s with the hateful side exit just ahead of the rear wheel, and plenty more with it high up aft of the rear wheel.
My personal feeling is that the exhaust pipe shouldn't be directed straight at pedestrians, so at least pointing it downward if a side exit would be more sociable.

Thats encouraging, i can route it non-pavement side, but ideally i wanted to bring it out between the 2 rear axles. Then i was also wondering if it must behind the passenger compartment to avoid fumes being drawn in...

16 minutes ago, HoSS said:

but ideally i wanted to bring it out between the 2 rear axles. 

Oh FFS, you go saying things like that, and I end up diving off at  a tangent to see what you're building. I'm guessing this must be Volvo related?

2 minutes ago, missingsid said:

Front exit exhausts exist or used to. The silencer and exit were in front of the front wheel.

I seem to remember many HGVs of 70s era, and probably before, had a big silencer with the pipe shooting sideways right at the front.

57 minutes ago, HoSS said:

Thats encouraging, i can route it non-pavement side, but ideally i wanted to bring it out between the 2 rear axles. Then i was also wondering if it must behind the passenger compartment to avoid fumes being drawn in...

Isn't that how the Pinz 6x6 is set up?

We have had no issues with any of the G wagen re-builds having a side exit in front of the rear wheel. Both DVSA and MoT have been okay. Essentially big, long silencer with short 3" exit. The 606 sounds gorgeous, especially under load

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mickeyw said:

I seem to remember many HGVs of 70s era, and probably before, had a big silencer with the pipe shooting sideways right at the front.

On fuel tankers the exhaust must be away from the load & valves on the body/trailer, lots have exhaust mounted in front of the front axle & exiting towards the centre of the road. & have a heatshield/fire shield between cab/engine & tank body. 

Most 90/110/Defenders have the tail pipe on left but going rearwards & slightly left, but doesn't exit directly on to pavements/pedestrians.  

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/61/made nothing here says where or which direction the tail pipe should be directed.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, HoSS said:

Does anyone know the C&U regs or MOT for where and exhaust must be routed?

I'm looking for a different route and making up a custom exhaust.

e.g where it comes out on the body? how long the tubes can be after the final silencer....

as an  ex mot inspector the area is very grey according to the book that we follow it say no louder than a similar type of vehicle has no leaks and is fixed properly to the vehicle and away from fuel and brake lines and  it does not endanger public with fumes ect then there is not reason to fail it how ever just be aware if its was fitted with a cat that must be fitted a lot of the mot test is down to descretion of the tester hope this helps

I had an exhaust leak once (1992 RR) just behind the rear axle, it was fine most of the time, in fact I had no idea it was there until I hitched up the horse box one day. The altered air flow created a dead space underneath which gathered the fumes, eventually coming into car enough to notice, it also created a hotspot that melted the insulation on the fuel pump loom which is what really got my attention!  I would be naturally nervous I think of any exhaust terminating under the vehicle??

1 hour ago, HoSS said:

In my case that will be under the camper body which will not be occupied when driving, so fumes not an issue. But i wondered if that contravened any MOT or C&U rules? 

I think - it depends!

Most Vans exit the exhaust in the middle, behind the cab - but I guess are tested to make sure exhaust does not enter the cab or loadspace.