90 or 110?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. If you have bought/thinking of buying/idol speculation, which would you go for?

• New Defender 90
    • New Defender 110

Thought it would be interesting to gauge interest in the two main flavours of the new Defender.

The 90 is meant to be available anytime soon, although I've not personally seen one yet.

In times past the 90 was a much more restricted vehicle compared to the 110 in terms of seating. But now this is not the case. You get the same seating with both. Just a smaller boot and 2 less doors. The new 90 is also longer than a Discovery 1, so is by no means a small vehicle, inside or out.

Do you have a preference on which you'd opt for or prefer?

Side profile of new 90, looks all wrong to me. Too much length in bonnet, and front doors and not enough in rear. Add in Gerry’s stupid ‘rigidity’ panel and it’s even worse 🙄

‘Plus you can get more kids in the 110 on the school run 😉😉

v4rklbzamwfj3wrgpgmo.jpg

The 90 doesn’t have the same seating offering as the 110 - it can only offer two rows of seats compared to three. Though the third row on the 110 is fairly tight.

Sadly the second row of seats in the new 90 also seriously compromise the useability of the loadspace - a feature they have managed to match almost perfectly to 90s of old. The space behind the seats is tiny and they don’t fold flat, leaving a ledge in the back.

• Like 1

If & it's massive if, I would go for the 110 in 5 seat form, but only if my rally recovery kit would fit in the loadspace as it does in my current 110. Otherwise my good old 1989 110CSW will soldier on as everyday & rally transport, its virtually new anyway. 

9 hours ago, SteveG said:

v4rklbzamwfj3wrgpgmo.jpg

That front door is gigantic.

For me its the 110 that would offer better practicality, particularly when you see how small the boot is in the 90. Not enough room for a couple of spaniels in there.

19 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

The 90 doesn’t have the same seating offering as the 110 - it can only offer two rows of seats compared to three. Though the third row on the 110 is fairly tight.

Sadly the second row of seats in the new 90 also seriously compromise the useability of the loadspace - a feature they have managed to match almost perfectly to 90s of old. The space behind the seats is tiny and they don’t fold flat, leaving a ledge in the back.

I watched a video of the new 90 recently. I can't remember who's vid it was, but this lack of usable space behind the 90's seat struck me as reminiscent of a 1980's (and possibly more recent) SWB Shogun. That had barely enough room for kids' school bags.

My old 90 was great, but after buying the 110 CSW I appreciate the additional versatility it offers. IF I was buying a new model I don't think I'd consider anything other than the 110. 

90 commercial may be a different kettle..... Depends how many bodies you are planning to cart around.

Bodies = live people btw, I'm not into propagating that stereotype that all 4WD enthusiasts like murdering and burying people in the forest.

In the UK the 90 and 110 commercial both have front seats only (so up to three) and then a flat empty loadspace behind a full bulkhead. I’ve seen different variations on the bulkhead for other countries though.

Commercial 110s still have the second row doors, and there are extra under-floor compartments. 

56 minutes ago, ianmayco68 said:

might as well buy a Range Rover .

This is exactly what I keep thinking. Can get a second hand L322 with the 4.4V8 diesel for under £20k now and one with the 3.6V8 well specced and not astronomical miles (often sub 100k miles) for less than £10k! They will do most things the new defender will do at less cost and probably more refinement? And... for some reason they seem to have fewer problems/better reliability than the same age discoveries and RRS and are easier to work on. I am just waiting for one to come up near me at the right price....

Edited by reb78
  • Like 2

I'd go for a 90; I don't need the space of a 110 - I'd want a 'commercial' version so no rear seats to waste space, and a 90 will be lighter [so better handling] and easier to park too. [I once made the mistake of taking a 130-inch HCPU into a multi-storey underground car-park... and got very good at making multi-point turns to get on/off the up-and-down ramps!]

"...might as well buy a Range Rover" - in many respects you're right. Defender is expensive and I hear the new RRS is coming out next year. After having driven 2018/2019 RRSs and Disco on/off road it is very apparent that all of them have good on-road behaviour ; although the much plusher made in UK RRS steering is faster which I prefer. The RRS and Disco are perfectly competent for the off-roading that 99.99% of the buyers will need.

I have a new 110 and, if I had another car, I'd have ordered the 90 especially as the 2021 models are offered with the I6 diesel.  Even the 2020 D200 4-pot new Defender is like a library compared to the old one. But the old has some charm about it.

That funny(pointless?) panel is an option on the 90. Standard on 110 and I really can't see the reason for it. But, quite frankly, I really don't care about it because, just like sequential LED indicators, you can't see it when you're driving.

I think my moan about the new 90 is that when you fold the rear seats flat you end up with that step halfway along the load-space. But no-one will care, it'll sell well. As long as Harry can get a bale of hay in the back then all is well :)

On 1/30/2021 at 4:04 PM, reb78 said:

This is exactly what I keep thinking. Can get a second hand L322 with the 4.4V8 diesel for under £20k now and one with the 3.6V8 well specced and not astronomical miles (often sub 100k miles) for less than £10k! They will do most things the new defender will do at less cost and probably more refinement? And... for some reason they seem to have fewer problems/better reliability than the same age discoveries and RRS and are easier to work on. I am just waiting for one to come up near me at the right price....

Everyone is catching up with my thinking!!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The 110 is a good size and practical. Plenty of space for rear passengers. Access good.

The 90 looks cuter and , I believe, the pointless panel is an option. I've had my 110 long enough now that it really doesn't bother me. If it was just a fun weekend 2nd vehicle I'd get the 90.

And, if you want air suspension then it's an (expensive) option on the 90. My local-ish Dealer says there are some 90s doing the rounds for viewing. The 90 also has a funny step in the back when the seats are folded down. The 110 is flat in the back.

If you want plenty of traction when driving across your paddock (and can bear the presenter, remember it's for entertainment)..

New vs Old Land Rover Defender - TUG OF WAR - Bing video