Cheap Tools

Anderzander

Nice tools are great - and expensive.

I said to my neighbour, a young guy starting out in his first home, ‘don’t buy carp tools’.  

I know there is a spectrum though - where midrange (price wise) can still be good tools and not only last longer but make the job easier.

All of that said though - there are some cheap tools that I’ve bought that have been great, and I figured we might all have? And that if we shared them - we should all be able to afford them ... because they’re cheap?

I’ll start ... 

Mine is a flexible honing set I bought off eBay.  It has more sets of legs in it than the one in the link here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/US-PRO-Tools-Cylinder-Honing-Tool-25-to-62mm-For-Brake-Piston-cylinders-etc-6198-/252386512283?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

image.thumb.png.ccb22d1bbda6ccf8edae3863a3e23790.png

It was cheap and it’s been fantastic - I’ve refurbished wheel cylinders with it, honed motorcycle cylinders, opened up tight bearings, undersized bushes, and tonight my series speedo drive was just going to need way too much force to go on the output shaft ... 

For the price I think it’s worth having one in the drawer - and when you need it, they do a great job.

• Like 2

Almost any of the Halfords professional kits are great, got a 1/4, 3/8 and half inch ratchet set, and ratchet spanners, must be getting on 15 years old on average, all good.

Or is that not your definition of cheap?

• Thanks 2

Ok, here's another, much cheaper thing, and have had 20 years:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HEAVY-DUTY-1-Tons-CABLE-PULLER-HAND-WINCH-Cable-Length-Marine-Pull-Tool-/392859250359?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49292

For the benefit of people in the future people, when the eBay item is dead, here it is:

Screenshot_20210201-231149.thumb.png.14ed74b245fe033fc2a08c562649fa79.png

I have some steel beams in the roof of the garage, and I have made a dolly (or something, not sure what to call it?) that I can connect this to, for lifting stuff, like engines, gearboxes, mower decks, anything really.... Have used it very successfully in engine swaps and getting stuff onto benches and the like.

Also useful for dragging stuff or vehicles around if they are not drivable.

It was £20 all those years ago, now it is even less....

Cue people moaning about using a puller for lifting stuff 😛

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Do home made tools count, or is that cheating lol regards Stephen

OK - the parts were cheap for this one!

Push pull pole made out of a length of scaffolding pole. I bolted an old trailer ball hitch on one end that was designed to fit over the same size tube and welded a ring on the other end that just fits over a ball/will go in a pin hitch to give a few options depending on what the two vehicles have fitted.. Total cost to me was zero as they were all in the scrap/spares pile. I have used it hundreds of times pushing dead cars up the ramp into the workshop and onto the ramp or when moving things that don't have any brakes fitted

52 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

OK - the parts were cheap for this one!

Push pull pole made out of a length of scaffolding pole. I bolted an old trailer ball hitch on one end that was designed to fit over the same size tube and welded a ring on the other end that just fits over a ball/will go in a pin hitch to give a few options depending on what the two vehicles have fitted.. Total cost to me was zero as they were all in the scrap/spares pile. I have used it hundreds of times pushing dead cars up the ramp into the workshop and onto the ramp or when moving things that don't have any brakes fitted

I've also made towing/shunting poles out of whatever was to hand, whether it be box section or scaffold. Sometimes the material gets repurposed if needs be.

Seconding Halfrauds hand tools. I think I only ever broke one deep socket, and that was due to using it on a rattle gun. I tigged it back together and it is still in service.

Also seconding Lidl and Aldi hand and cordless tools. They can be very well priced. I've had a couple of sets of very decent pliers/side cutter/long nose/wire stripper from Lidl, When they're this cheap I don't mind having duplicate sets for the car toolbox and for the garage. I also have 2 10.8v Parkside cordless drills that have been far better than expected, and probably close to equal my same sized Makita drill.

• Like 1

I recommend getting an original  Record vice, not a knackered old Record vice, but I managed to get a very decent No.114 for £26 off ebay. The no. 25s and No 112 are also good. Just something big enough to grip a range of things and not too worn - if the handle is more than slightly bent avoid.

6 hours ago, cackshifter said:

I recommend getting an original  Record vice, not a knackered old Record vice, but I managed to get a very decent No.114 for £26 off ebay. The no. 25s and No 112 are also good. Just something big enough to grip a range of things and not too worn - if the handle is more than slightly bent avoid.

It maybe just because I've grown up with old vices (my Dad uses his Dad's vice, which I used when I was at home!), but I wouldn't dream of buying a brand new vice! The old ones are the best and you can pick up some bargains! I have a massive Parkinsons vice, which is massive!

I use a lot of Sealey ratchets and sockets etc. My first set I got when I started my apprenticeship and 17 years later, I'm still using them, These and any new items I buy I make sure they have the lifetime guarantee, so you have no problem in exchanging anything if it brakes. 

I'm in the market for a multi tool and am in the same predicament. I don't really want to buy super cheap, but I don't want to spend £200, I want something in the middle which is decent and will last. So far I'm looking at an Erbauer:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-emt300-qc-300w-electric-multi-tool-220-240v/622fx

It comes in a case which I like, the  reviews are good and it has a quick change function which a lot do have now.

I have the Makita 18V batteries and had looked at the Makita multi tool, but I don't know if the extra money is worth it. I envisage that this tool wont get used regularly so a lower priced unit mat suit!

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Steve

Edited by steve200TDi

I would be wary of Erbauer, being screwfix's own chinesium make, for not a lot more, there is a very nice DeWalt one, which I bought my dad for his birthday a couple of years ago:

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/manufacturers/dewalt_tools/dewalt_dwe315kt_multi_function_multi_tool_in_tstak_case_240v_P31337.html

He is most pleased with it, uses it whenever he can.

14 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

I would be wary of Erbauer, being screwfix's own chinesium make, for not a lot more, there is a very nice DeWalt one, which I bought my dad for his birthday a couple of years ago:

https://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/manufacturers/dewalt_tools/dewalt_dwe315kt_multi_function_multi_tool_in_tstak_case_240v_P31337.html

He is most pleased with it, uses it whenever he can.

I did not know that Erbauer is Screwfix's own brand!

I'll have a look at that dewalt......although I could buy the Makita one as I have the batteries......Hmmm!

I have been using Erbauer for a few years and find they are value for money, their twin drill set I bought over three years ago have been abused and are still going strong. So last year when I was looking for a battery angle grinder I chose their new range and have bought a selection of their products with the new battery type. I am quite happy with them. The other thing people don't want to nick them so much. My one complaint is they don't do an impact wrench.

7 hours ago, steve200TDi said:

It maybe just because I've grown up with old vices (my Dad uses his Dad's vice, which I used when I was at home!), but I wouldn't dream of buying a brand new vice! The old ones are the best and you can pick up some bargains! I have a massive Parkinsons vice, which is massive!

I use a lot of Sealey ratchets and sockets etc. My first set I got when I started my apprenticeship and 17 years later, I'm still using them, These and any new items I buy I make sure they have the lifetime guarantee, so you have no problem in exchanging anything if it brakes. 

I'm in the market for a multi tool and am in the same predicament. I don't really want to buy super cheap, but I don't want to spend £200, I want something in the middle which is decent and will last. So far I'm looking at an Erbauer:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-emt300-qc-300w-electric-multi-tool-220-240v/622fx

It comes in a case which I like, the  reviews are good and it has a quick change function which a lot do have now.

I have the Makita 18V batteries and had looked at the Makita multi tool, but I don't know if the extra money is worth it. I envisage that this tool wont get used regularly so a lower priced unit mat suit!

Does anybody have any recommendations?

Steve

If it’s for infrequent use the corded makita multi tool is spot on. The lead is super long so you find yourself limited and it will outlive the battery platform when thats eventually superseded 

A tradesman (I think he fitted bathrooms) said he used the Lidl parkside range. He said it was a rebadged Bosch green DIY range. Said they weren't the best but for the price if they get lost or stolen then it is not the same impact as DeWalt or Makita.

I find the cheapest DeWalt or Makita to be DIY spec anyway. You have to pay a decent price for decent kit.

When I buy tools I tend to look at the use/abuse I am going to give them and decide if I need to go cheap or quality (I prefer quality but sometimes it can't be justified for the occasional DIY or home mechanicing). As I prefer quality I will often choose second hand if it won't get too much use, as s little life left in a tool will last a long time for me.

I have an Erbauer impact driver. It can just about get 5" wood screws in at 4.5mm diameter as long as the wood is not too tuff. The first one I got did a lot of work with what I will call standard screws (up to 3") and as it was coming to its first birthday the trigger started being temperamental but took it back to Screwfix and they changed it for a new one so can't complain. It had done a lot of work and the batteries charged lots of times with what seemed little detriment.

I have a decent battery Hitachi drill. That has had lots of abuse, and I mean abuse! Used for driving up to M8 coach screws up to 150mm long into decent wood - though I would pilot drill those first. 13mm in mild steel up to 10mm thick. The brushes are starting to go now and the clutch is not what it was.

When looking at battery drills I tend to look for something with an all metal chuck. When I see one with a plastic one I always assume it's not expected to do a lot of work.

Grinders I tend to go for Bosch. I like their 4.5". I inherited an Aldi 5" which is ok, but you need two hands to use it which is no good for use on something you are holding.

8 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I have the Makita 18V multi-tool. Works very well, goes through plywood like butter.

One of those things you use infrequently, but when you do need it it’s just the tool for the job.

My old man bought the makita one with quick change the other day for a specific job. Said it saved him and therefore the customer so much time it paid for itself on that one job

I have a Fein mains multi tool. It's one of those things I don't use much, but sometimes when you need it nothing else will do. So far very pleased with it.

I think with spanners you have to be careful in the small sizes in particular, and especially 12 point - so you can get away with a looser fit on a 6 point 27mm socket than a 12point 10mm. Decent quality and lack of wear can make the difference between undoing and rounding. I have a 14mm extra long ring flat specially for undoing swivel balls. 

24 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

One of these, I used to dread using rivets as my hands are abit buggered, this tool is a god send and unbelievably useful & cheap

2644C162-B2E7-4E41-821A-79C21E90A629.thumb.jpeg.af74ed14a258b604b968736a4c7045e1.jpeg

I never knew something like this existed. I have an air rivet gun which I use a lot but that restricts me to the workshop or dragging a compressor about. This is cheap enough to buy and put in the tool box just in case

• Like 2

Following on from that I have now found one that does Rivnuts up to m6. With the torque setting on the cordless drill set to the right setting I would imagine this would produce easily repeatable rivnut sets! Downside is the overall length of the tool and drill

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rivet-Nut-Drill-Adapter-Kit-Rivet-Nut-Drill-Attachment-M3-M4-M5-M6-mandrels/203222591465?hash=item2f5102a7e9:g:iHQAAOSweXhf0yWA

image.png.dc80fe6a58a31bb4c08f1989477f1429.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L19MUD said:

I never knew something like this existed. I have an air rivet gun which I use a lot but that restricts me to the workshop or dragging a compressor about. This is cheap enough to buy and put in the tool box just in case

Me neither until I couldn’t use the hand tool and was looking at air tool riveters, I saw this and figured for that price it’s worth a punt over a £100 air tool.