Cheap Tools

Anderzander

On 2/15/2021 at 1:30 PM, Anderzander said:

I know this is the ‘cheap tools’ thread / but how do good brand cordless grinders stand up to that heavy load prolonged use situation ?  What would you get from a Milwaukee cordless for example ? 

I have certainly abused my cordless M18 fuel grinder and it's outlasted two other mains powered grinders (one a B&Q special, one a Hitatchi) and had far more usage. I was using a polycarbibe wheel to strip all the paint off two 88" sides for painting. About half way through one panel the batteries (was a 32°C day) were overheating from all the charge / discharge cycles so thought actually probably a good use for the corded grinder. About 20 minutes later the gearbox blew up due to overheating...

I cleaned up of this set of gate posts back to bare metal using the cordless grinder and a wire-wheel...

IMG_20210128_104830_206.thumb.jpg.d638bfbea7155f01451b68e0693bfae9.jpg

• Thanks 1

So dropped a screw down turbo pipe (don't ask) and couldn't find it with a magnet on a stick (cos its stainless, I'm a tool) so was about to dismantle car to recover it. Mate pops round and said "oh I've got a cheap borescope you can borrow". 

So he came round with this little gem.

For £27 its really good, mine should arrive next week....

s-l1600.jpg

I bought a thing like that but the screen was your phone. So you bought a cable with a camera on the end. It's useful for a lot of things!

I wanted to buy my Dad one, but it seems all you can buy now are wifi ones, which I think over complicates them......I just want one that plugs into your phone!!

Steve

• Like 2

Funny story about borescopes...

I had one down the exhaust port of a two stroke engine to look at some bore damage. My boss wanted a look so came over and turned the engine over and sliced through the cable!

I'm sure there's a lesson to be learnt here...

• Haha 2

I have that camera or v similar. In fact it’s on long term loan from a neighbour together with an old galaxy phone. The guy just wants me to hold onto it.

It’s great to have but a bit frustrating. You need to orientate the camera end otherwise those movements left go right etc. Also the long cable is initially great but it is very hard to control the camera position once it’s more than say 30cm away.

I tried to use it to inspect a cavity wall from underneath the floor, going in at an air brick. The combination of my on my back and the camera not being oriented correctly mean I was pointing the damm thing all over the place.  Once it is ‘wrong’ it’s hard to get it ‘right’ except by twisting and then the orientation goes wrong again.

However in spite of the frustration, it can be very useful 😀

22 hours ago, Anderzander said:

How small is the camera Jeff ?  I was thinking of getting one - but was thinking of as tiny a camera as possible.

PM me your address, I have one you can have. I bought one that plugs into your own device but it won't work for me without downloading an app, which I refuse to do as they want access to contacts, GPS, etc. for no possible reason beneficial to me. There are some devices that can recognise these as webcams and will load the correct drivers so you don't need the app, I'm just unlucky with what I have available.

If you have no joy with it, you can just chuck it in the bin and buy a different one. It's useless to me just lying around so you might as well make use.

I bought one with a screen for that reason, and very happy with that as it's all self contained.

That is interesting - much like @ThreePointFive I bought the USB one that plugs into your phone or laptop - I am wary enough to not download the dodgy Chinese software/app but if you plug it into an old laptop running Linux, VLC Media player will see it as a standard USB webcam and you can just view it that way.

However, for £27,  having a dedicated display rather than getting a laptop out in the garage could be a nice upgrade.

47 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That is interesting - much like @ThreePointFive I bought the USB one that plugs into your phone or laptop - I am wary enough to not download the dodgy Chinese software/app but if you plug it into an old laptop running Linux, VLC Media player will see it as a standard USB webcam and you can just view it that way.

However, for £27,  having a dedicated display rather than getting a laptop out in the garage could be a nice upgrade.

The one I bought is currently £23 and having the whole unit ready to use is great, especially with how expensive a phone is these days. 

If my Linux laptop's USB ports weren't completely screwed (as discovered last year while trying to get it to talk to the MS ECU) that would have worked, then.

On 4/18/2021 at 11:29 AM, Peaklander said:

I have that camera or v similar. In fact it’s on long term loan from a neighbour together with an old galaxy phone. The guy just wants me to hold onto it.

What you have there is a simple scenario in that he doesn't charge you any hire for you having it and you don't charge him storage for keeping it at your place ;)

• 1 month later...

Bought this recently, not used it in anger yet. For the money it seems ok. Chuck is a bit fiddle - I would of preferred a standard Chuck with a key but this has collar that needs rotated by hand to lock the drill bit in the Chuck 

9A9ADA92-4C2D-4A08-B8B8-D5F5C5347BB1.jpeg