Older (tdi) Door cards on TD5+ doors

My 90 rebuild is going well and I have now decided to go the whole hog and replace my doors as the respray cost to include the doors in addition to the tub is not too bad.

I have been looking at the options and like the idea of the TD5 onwards one piece steel doors - but I read that the older door cards do not fit. Can anyone confirm if they have successfully fitted old style door card to the new style door?

The other option is the SP fully galv'd ones - but I am hearing that SP quality is hit or miss and customer service is close to nil - any comments??

I can't comment on the door cards, other than I think the shape of the curve at the waist line is slightly different.

Regarding the SP doors though, I bought a single piece, lift handle style door, and was happy with the quality. Initially they sent a push button type door by accident, so I got to test the customer service as well! All sorted fairly painlessly, and I think I will be going back for another door for the other side soon. 

• Like 1

When you say old style door cards, which ones are you refering too?

I don't recall any differences with TD5 and TDi door cards. All I know is that door cards off a one piece lift up handle wind down window door are different as I had to trim my TD5 door cards to miss some of the contours on the old doors.

Steve

14 minutes ago, steve200TDi said:

When you say old style door cards, which ones are you refering too?

I don't recall any differences with TD5 and TDi door cards. All I know is that door cards off a one piece lift up handle wind down window door are different as I had to trim my TD5 door cards to miss some of the contours on the old doors.

Steve

Ahh... that might be the case ... i forgot about the pre tdi 2 piece door cards. I just keep reading that to replace ealier doors with td5/puma version you need new door cards. maybe they mean lift handle door cards wont fit. 

So maybe my question should be - are tdi and td5/puma door cards the same??

I'm interested in this too as I bought Puma galv steel doors to replace mine and would like to use the old door cards, have read I can buy or make a small bracket to make the inner winder fit but will have small gap as internal profile on pre 05 is a little different to the later Puma doorcard.

SP says : "This bracket kit has been designed and made to allow you to fit the earlier 1983-2001 type inner window winding panel to 2001-2016 style doors."

https://www.sp-4x4.com/inner_winding_panel_brackets_for_Defender_door_p/jwp520.htm

"This can be retrofitted to earlier models with some minor modification. The main difference is that the door card when fitted has a slightly different cut out than the earlier models as the internal frame has a slightly different side profile. So the later type of door card is required or if you use your old door card a spacer panel made to fill any gaps. "

https://www.sp-4x4.com/LR029310_defender_puma_front_doors_p/lr029310.htm

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has actually done it and what they had to replace so I can get parts up ready for changeover (guess water shedder is one?

My understanding is that they are a different profile. I have sets of both old and new doors and door cards in my spare room so can check at the weekend if needed?

The later door cards are not too expensive I don’t think, about £50 each last time I looked, so might be worth getting something that fits. 

4 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

My understanding is that they are a different profile. I have sets of both old and new doors and door cards in my spare room so can check at the weekend if needed?

The later door cards are not too expensive I don’t think, about £50 each last time I looked, so might be worth getting something that fits. 

James that would be great if you could do a side by side comparison?