Changing defender diff to a salisbury (front)

Help please guys I have a defender year 2002 and have been making a serious project of it for years and very near complete!! One problem its ex military and I have a new Diff front axle all built but I noticed the pan is longer so the propshaft is 60cm to long any ideas what I can do to overcome the problem

My guess would be that one axle has the old long nose Rover diff, the other has the newer short nose Rover diff, possibly a mod, as I thought those were only installed on the rear axles of 110s and 130s (in Defender applications).

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2021 at 4:21 PM, Retroanaconda said:

Are you saying you have a Salisbury front axle/diff or a Rover one?

A Salisbury front axle will need a shorter prop as the differential nose is longer. Not 60cm shorter though, do you mean 60mm perhaps?

As you can tell im a novice . Yes it has a rover one and I have a rebuilt Salisbury fully loaded I bought from the army so apart from a shorter prop are there any other issues. And how long would the prop be? thanks for your help

Well congrats on nabbing a rare front axle - chances are it'll be easier to get Proshaft Clinic to make you a custom front prop than buy a genuine one, unless there's a common one that fits off-the-shelf. There's at least one thread in the Technical Archive section on stock propshaft lengths & part numbers.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Snagger said:

My guess would be that one axle has the old long nose Rover diff, the other has the newer short nose Rover diff, possibly a mod, as I thought those were only installed on the rear axles of 110s and 130s (in Defender applications).

Mine at present has the rover diff but the new one I have is a salisbury for sure bought from Mod

On 2/6/2021 at 6:35 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I'd suggest posting up pictures of exactly what you've got as a salisbury front would be a rare beastie.

18 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Well congrats on nabbing a rare front axle - chances are it'll be easier to get Proshaft Clinic to make you a custom front prop than buy a genuine one, unless there's a common one that fits off-the-shelf. There's at least one thread in the Technical Archive section on stock propshaft lengths & part numbers.

I decided to put it on as its a chunky good axle and my baby deserves the best Im trying to find a fit

All I could find from a quick Google was a Salisbury front propshaft priced at over £1,000 - so I’m inclined to agree with FridgeFreezer. Measure the distance between the flanges first and see if anything matches up.

I think your best bet will end up being getting your existing propshaft shortened to suit the new axle.

3 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

as an observation, the salsbury front axles although having a huge ground anchor of a diff, i believe the shafts & cvs are the same as the standard 24 spline axle,

Stronger diff centre I believe. But I was of the same thoughts that the shafts and CVs are the same as a normal rover type axle. 

12 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Stronger diff centre I believe. But I was of the same thoughts that the shafts and CVs are the same as a normal rover type axle. 

I think the the casing is rated for a higher weight too, hence why 109/110/130 get them on the back axle. So yeah, a very long-lived diff centre but not much of an upgrade over a Rover with a decent diff in it.

• Like 1

Front Salisburies come in a few different flavours, some have a 23 spline outer with the AEU2522 CV joints and 24 spline inner which doesn't appear on any Rover axles and is unique to the front Salisbury which is what makes it stronger than standard 32 spline outers or early 10 spline inners. The diff offset is different to a Rover so the shafts are different lengths. Stronger but rarer is a quandary indeed. The Salisbury diff itself is a beast of a thing in comparison to a 2 pin rover diff but the loss in ground clearance as Mike says is a hefty penalty.