Rear diff lock

I've definitely not regretted having lockers.

The big benefit I find with them is that being pre-emptive you lock them before you get into trouble and hopefully not dig yourself the hole in the first place. If you're sensible and don't dig yourself into a hole then you've got nothing to worry about :rolleyes:.

I use them quite often driving around my garden (there's some pretty serious hills in it) but by locking the diffs I can climb up stuff gently without tearing up the surface which I would otherwise do if I had open axles (already running BFG Muds and got a winch as well).

39 minutes ago, andy _1 said:

I think I'll take your advice I got a superwinch tigershark 9500. I was thinking that too. I usually winch myself out if stuck.i  just buy 3 more bfg mud terrain . I can still get stuck with a locker so I'll listen to your advice , I think your right

Sensible choice, BFG muds will also help regards Stephen

Good tyres are going to achieve a lot more than fancy diffs - a locked diff with bad tyres is just going to spin two wheels!  If it’s working on a farm, I’d imagine MTs are going to be much more appropriate than ATs.  For vehicles that are road going with light off road on tracks and trails and a mix of surfaces, but not too much deep mud, then ATs are generally better.  Don’t go too wide, for mud either - it’s better to have tall but narrow tyres for most off road conditions (and wet roads).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, andy _1 said:

You must be near me as drumclog is near me. I am laughing all yous guys are right. I was just thinking a locker would be handy to stop me getting stuck, I don't go to pay and play ect I just use it got pulling trailers ect and going on my mates farm. I get my self stuck usually in soft parks in winter ect but I would probably try to go further done to the burn ect and get myself really stuck , with a locker. I am thinking now I got bfg all terrain on the 90 and a spare that mud terrain maybe better buying another 3 mud terrain.  It was that video I seen that got me thinking locker.

i stay just outside bathgate, havent been to drumclog recently but used to go regularly

Well I am looking at this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/373336686933 its an elocker ie no need for a compressor. I would like an opinion from yous guys that use stuff like that in events , I only want it to make the landy more capable I ain't doing comps or anything , I totally understand the need for expensive shafts ect and the quality of ashcroft shaft will be fantastic when yous are in comps, but do any of yous know anything about that e locker. One guy commented about getting mud tyres first to make it better on the farm working ect. I ain't working on the farm ,I used too, still help out but I am playing with my landy on the farm private my own rules course. Farm work massey 390 4x4 tractor with locking rear diff and no electronics,  anyway away rambling again.

So if any of yous guys that know anything about lockers could comment that would be great. That one will work out about the same price as a ashcroft locker and compressor , I don't really want a compressor,  I know it makes the locker engage quicker by I dont have any need for that. My real need is I have been stuck countless times before my winch was fitted cross axeled one wheel at the front in soft stuff and one at the rear , but the other side on good ground and the ground in front good within a few feet. So I though make it really capable.  

If you just want it to be more capable, if you haven't got mud tyres already, those will make WAY more difference than any locker.

The comments about shafts are because when you have a locker you can easily do stupid sh*t like putting all the power through a single wheel. Stock shafts are barely up to standard use, especially 10-spline ones.

Also, random eBay sellers offering unknown-brand diff locks alongside camping stoves and washing lines may not be selling quality product with a robust warranty and spares availability...

• Like 3

I have had mud tyres and still got stuck cross axeled . Once mud tyres in my experience are full of mud it a racing slick. Mud tyres have better grip but if you loose traction in a soft bit you lost it regardless of traction control. Hence my thinking of a locker. You have said wisely a unknown locker from a ebay guy is a bad move. Stuff it i just get an ashcroft , you can get everthing spare. This brings me on too compressors , ever 12 volt compressor  I have bought has blew up within 10 uses. I see the arb ones only about £140 just for lockers only but I am thinking if I need one get on that can blow up tyres. Anyone any feed back with that tmax one seen the videos but they sound just like the ones that blow up. I can fix a tyre on site if I have a compressor,  so a added bonus or are these compressors not what I am assuming they are?

The trouble with a lot of 'normal' compressors is that they're really not up to pumping up a Land Rover sized tyre, fine for topping up the tyres on your little run about. But when you give them a much bigger tyre to do they'll soon wear out and break from either the heat build up or the vibration. The old ARB compressor I had would happily pump up the 4 33" muds on the 90 back to road pressures. Tmax are another good option, not any personal experience, but I know several that use them.

Nigel @Hybrid_From_Hell, one of the Mods on here runs Megasquirt-uk.co.uk and Xcess4x4 who sell and build diffs. I know Nige is very careful not to plug his stuff on here but I'd say to give him a bell and have a chat. I'm not linked in any way other than being a satisfied customer! https://megasquirt-v8.co.uk/diff_offroad.php 

• Like 1

Thanks for that link , so thats nigel  I keep see his name mentioned. Thats all your comp stuff ect pegged diff ect, but his arb compressor is a good price and you know it real. I read on his site that Ash lockers are great well thats settled that. I think all his diff builds ect are way over the top for me , I only want to stop getting crossaxeled in soft ground and having to winch myself out not climb out of a pit on 1 wheel the rest air Bourne 

7 minutes ago, andy _1 said:

Thanks for that link , so thats nigel  I keep see his name mentioned. Thats all your comp stuff ect pegged diff ect, but his arb compressor is a good price and you know it real. I read on his site that Ash lockers are great well thats settled that. I think all his diff builds ect are way over the top for me , I only want to stop getting crossaxeled in soft ground and having to winch myself out not climb out of a pit on 1 wheel the rest air Bourne 

That's another plus point with Nigel.... unless you go to him begging for a particular item, he'll know whats best and advise as such. He won't send you down the route of a pegged/tablocked locker if you don't need it.

12 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

That's another plus point with Nigel.... unless you go to him begging for a particular item, he'll know whats best and advise as such. He won't send you down the route of a pegged/tablocked locker if you don't need it.

Also Nige is not interested in cutting corners to save a couple of quid.

@andy _1you don't need anything fancy compressor-wise at all unless you're pumping big tyres up, the locker just requires enough pressure to keep it engaged - almost zero flow. A £5 Halfords tyre compressor will do it, but you *do* need some way of regulating the pressure / controlling it. I know @miketomcat did a rudimentary install with nothing more than an on/off switch to pressurise the locker by running the compressor for a few second but it's not ideal.

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Also Nige is not interested in cutting corners to save a couple of quid.

@andy _1 I know @miketomcat did a rudimentary install with nothing more than an on/off switch to pressurise the locker by running the compressor for a few second but it's not ideal.

I borrowed a locker for ladoga so needed a cheap/quick method of running it. I had a £5 tyre compressor running to an old air ride control panel then nylon hose to the locker. The air ride panel has a switch (l used for the compressor), a guage (so I could pump it upto the required pressure to engage the locker) and a release valve (to release pressure to disengage). It worked well, you just needed to be careful not to over pressure it as it could blow the seals.

Mike

I have look into nigels page that stuff is way beyond what I need. That for yous guys that are into trials ect.i was only looking for a locker to stop me if I get crossaxled have to take out the the steel pole and hammer and winch myself out lazy really. What do yous guys know or think of detroit lockers , is that not ,more like what I am looking for.

29 minutes ago, andy _1 said:

I have look into nigels page that stuff is way beyond what I need. That for yous guys that are into trials ect.i was only looking for a locker to stop me if I get crossaxled have to take out the the steel pole and hammer and winch myself out lazy really. What do yous guys know or think of detroit lockers , is that not ,more like what I am looking for.

I like the idea of Detroits. Never actually run them though. From what I’ve heard they tend to favour heavier longer wheelbase vehicles unless it is primarily an off road vehicle. 

As they are more of an automated unlocker rather than locking. 

Not read the entire thread. So might have been mentioned.  But I’d go for some Ashcroft ATB’s or just one in the rear. Requires no user intervention. Works all the time, even on the road. Super value for money. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, andy _1 said:

I have had mud tyres and still got stuck cross axeled . Once mud tyres in my experience are full of mud it a racing slick. Mud tyres have better grip but if you loose traction in a soft bit you lost it regardless of traction control. Hence my thinking of a locker. You have said wisely a unknown locker from a ebay guy is a bad move. Stuff it i just get an ashcroft , you can get everthing spare. This brings me on too compressors , ever 12 volt compressor  I have bought has blew up within 10 uses. I see the arb ones only about £140 just for lockers only but I am thinking if I need one get on that can blow up tyres. Anyone any feed back with that tmax one seen the videos but they sound just like the ones that blow up. I can fix a tyre on site if I have a compressor,  so a added bonus or are these compressors not what I am assuming they are?

ARB compressors blow tyres up as well you should be able to get the quick release airline with one of their compressors regards Stephen

Whilst something like a Detroit or an ATB are very different, they're still IMO not what I'd want as a get-me-out option. I always liked my ARB then ashlocker when laning on my own as I left it unlocked unless I had any issues. A Detroit or ATB are going to get you further into the mire before you either get through or are just buried further. 

For my needs I think either will do well. I was reading other posts from years ago and your man nigel seem to like them. I watched this video 

if they can do that that more than enough for my needs. Anyone could tell that guy thats was going to happen thats a wall he's trying to climb. All that power on that crown wheel pegged or not my brain tells me that they teeth would strip clean off. 

I have an ATB in the back of mine. I’d forgotten it was there. It’s great though and brilliant value. 

I’m sure I’m missing something on the - ‘you’ll be more stuck by the time you get stuck scenario’

Surely getting stuck is more nuanced than just escalating levels of difficulty? 

It might be just the wrong line and you could fall foul of that on open diffs - atb’s - or lockers?, an auto device might be all the help you ever need on the terrain you’d choose to tackle?, it might be that getting further in is best as it’s safer to get through it than back out of it? 

I would think with whatever traction aids you do or don’t have we are capable of driving within our limits, making a bad judgement, being unlucky, or pushing too hard ? 

It seems all can be made to work if we strive to make good choices ? 

It not really getting stuck as such.  I have been stuck unteen times standing looking at solid ground  at the opposite wheel and thinking ,"if that wheel would just turn" i would not have to winch  myself out hence the auto locker an air locker seems way over the top for me or just save money and winch away. I read stories of them not being good in short trucks , but then I read posts from guys that know about lockers saying they are great. So I'll bit the bullet one day