bonnet struts

id draw two marks, one on the bonnet & one on the wing the correct 'open distance' apart then (making sure the marks are outside) measure them again with the bonnet shut. should be able to work it out easy enough with trial & error. as long as the shut distance is too small you should be fine.

Guest diesel_jim

I've got several pairs of similar struts at work, taken off of old fruit machines we've scrapped( the front doors are held up with them).

not entirely sure of the extended/compressed lengths, i'll measure them, but free if anyones wants them.

in Swindon, or if you pay the postage i'll stick them in said post.

I've got several pairs of similar struts at work, taken off of old fruit machines we've scrapped( the front doors are held up with them).

not entirely sure of the extended/compressed lengths, i'll measure them, but free if anyones wants them.

in Swindon, or if you pay the postage i'll stick them in said post.

hi,

dont suppose you have any left...and have perhaps posted any pairs out to know what postage might be?

i'd like to devise a means of holding my back door open. unfortunately with spare and spare carrier it is very heavy and so wont even think about holding open when you have to swing it uphill.

i thought a pair may have sufficient holding strength, hopefully without being overkill.

cheers

callum

Gas struts are amazingly strong - some tail gates are great-big heavy things. I should imagine they would make life easier - especially if you have a spare wheel on the bonnet.

Les. :)

These beemer ones are INCREDIBLY STRONG i might have to fit some rubber bonnet straps just in case it pops open.

they move smoothly but considerable effort is needed to compress them,although once attached the bonnet weight should help.

These beemer ones are INCREDIBLY STRONG i might have to fit some rubber bonnet straps just in case it pops open.

they move smoothly but considerable effort is needed to compress them,although once attached the bonnet weight should help.

are you running a pair of struts or just singular.

i've seen a lot of struts on bonnets run as single rather than pairs (on posh cars), but they use very long ones, much longer than normally seen on tailgates. land rover bonnets are pretty flimsy by comparison....unless you're running with a spare on the bonnet of course

i've seen a lot of struts on bonnets run as single rather than pairs (on posh cars), but they use very long ones, much longer than normally seen on tailgates. land rover bonnets are pretty flimsy by comparison....unless you're running with a spare on the bonnet of course

;) This has given me an idea !!!. I can get struts from work, our firms vehicles use them a lot in diferent sizes . I think one for the back door is next, the orgional catch is nackered I have the marks to prove it. Any one in my part of the world need struts I will see what I can scrounge for you.

Well, i have a pair (off 3 series bmw) but i might just try 1 first to see how it copes

Dont have a spare on the bonnet just checkerplate.

hi,

dont suppose you have any left...and have perhaps posted any pairs out to know what postage might be?

i'd like to devise a means of holding my back door open. unfortunately with spare and spare carrier it is very heavy and so wont even think about holding open when you have to swing it uphill.

i thought a pair may have sufficient holding strength, hopefully without being overkill.

cheers

callum

Back door is a great idea, let me know how you strut it,i am interested.

;) This has given me an idea !!!. I can get struts from work, our firms vehicles use them a lot in diferent sizes . I think one for the back door is next, the orgional catch is nackered I have the marks to prove it. Any one in my part of the world need struts I will see what I can scrounge for you.

You know what, I have been thinking about doing the same thing to my 110 Defender, I always seem to be parking up in a position that means the back door won't stay open whn I am loading or unloading, at the moment I use a piece of wood which is a bit naff, let me know how you get on. I would be interested in a strut if you have one spare :D

Regards,

Mark