TURNING CIRCLE

biffer4240

hi all just a quick question if wheel spacers are fitted to front axel does it alter the turning circle of the truck as need it my new build to be wide but also good lock on it ive adjusted the steering lock bolts but going for wider tyres and the hit hockey sticks many thanks guys 

15 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Spacers give you more space to be able to adjust the lock stops for more lock. 

yes i know that thanks but was just wondering if the wider u go with spacers does it decrease the turning circle as got the stops taken out  thanks 

TBH you need to be running pretty big tyres before you need spacers, unless you're running original LR steel or alloy wheels.

I'm running 255/85R16s (approx 33" dia) on cheap steel modular rims on my 110. I'm not sure what the offset of these rims is, but I can get as much turning lock as the swivels permit, and enjoy an excellent turning circle, and no tyre rubbing on the radius arms. My suspension is all standard spec for a 1986 110 CSW.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, biffer4240 said:

yes i know that thanks but was just wondering if the wider u go with spacers does it decrease the turning circle as got the stops taken out  thanks 

You ask if they affect turning circle, and when given the answer, you say you know.  But then you say you have removed the stop locks.  I think you need to leave the work to someone else, if you have removed the stop locks - you’re going to cause all sorts of damage and probably an accident without them.

All of the following assumes we are discussing a non road-legal vehicle used for trials or purely off-highway use:

If you have already removed the lock stops, go outside and put the steering on full left lock - get someone to hold it there while you look under the car where your lock stops would have been on your driver's side end of the axle. If the front of the swivel housing is touching the flange of the swivel ball then you have achieved maximum lock.

Now go and have a look at the rearmost inner edge of the nearside tyre. Is that jammed up against or touching the raduis arm? if so, you have achieved too much lock and you need to either put your lock stops back in to stop it rubbing, or fit spacers/rims with greater offset to move the tyre out to stop this happening.

It is quite aesy to achieve the maximum lock with a landrover axle and spacers. You can go beyond this by cutting back the front and rear of the swivel housings and running the CV joints open if you are competitive enough, but all of this means you will go through CV joints like water.

I suggest you join an actual trails club (not a Facebook or Instagram one) and spend a couple of years getting to know your fellow members, sharing their knowledge and seeing what actually works and is or isn't necessary to get the best out of your vehicle.

Tiddler

On 2/8/2021 at 5:08 PM, Snagger said:

You ask if they affect turning circle, and when given the answer, you say you know.  But then you say you have removed the stop locks.  I think you need to leave the work to someone else, if you have removed the stop locks - you’re going to cause all sorts of damage and probably an accident without them.

7 hours ago, tiddler said:

All of the following assumes we are discussing a non road-legal vehicle used for trials or purely off-highway use:

If you have already removed the lock stops, go outside and put the steering on full left lock - get someone to hold it there while you look under the car where your lock stops would have been on your driver's side end of the axle. If the front of the swivel housing is touching the flange of the swivel ball then you have achieved maximum lock.

Now go and have a look at the rearmost inner edge of the nearside tyre. Is that jammed up against or touching the raduis arm? if so, you have achieved too much lock and you need to either put your lock stops back in to stop it rubbing, or fit spacers/rims with greater offset to move the tyre out to stop this happening.

It is quite aesy to achieve the maximum lock with a landrover axle and spacers. You can go beyond this by cutting back the front and rear of the swivel housings and running the CV joints open if you are competitive enough, but all of this means you will go through CV joints like water.

I suggest you join an actual trails club (not a Facebook or Instagram one) and spend a couple of years getting to know your fellow members, sharing their knowledge and seeing what actually works and is or isn't necessary to get the best out of your vehicle.

Tiddler

firstly ive build 3 off roaders from scratch so i know to use spanners thankyou very much it was a simple question if widen a wheel track does it reduce the turning circle so no need to be insulting to question

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2021 at 9:34 PM, biffer4240 said:

firstly ive build 3 off roaders from scratch so i know to use spanners thankyou very much it was a simple question if widen a wheel track does it reduce the turning circle so no need to be insulting to question

I am sorry if I offended you Biffer but what I was trying to get over was that the answer isn't a simple yes/no. There are several other factors to take into account and you don't give us much information to go on.

25mm spacers probably will reduce the turning circle on a standard car if you wind the lock stops in as well. Fitting 100mm spacers may well increase the turning circle as the tyres start to describe an arc outside of the arches and could end up hitting the bodywork on full lock. 

If you've got a bit more detail to give I'm sure someone on here can help you. 

• Like 2

Going 

45 minutes ago, tiddler said:

I am sorry if I offended you Biffer but what I was trying to get over was that the answer isn't a simple yes/no. There are several other factors to take into account and you don't give us much information to go on.

25mm spacers probably will reduce the turning circle on a standard car if you wind the lock stops in as well. Fitting 100mm spacers may well increase the turning circle as the tyres start to describe an arc outside of the arches and could end up hitting the bodywork on full lock. 

Going too far on the spacers will make it hit the bulkhead outrigger depending on tyre size and offset. My 37" with 60mm of stacked spacers for mockup were within ~10mm off hitting the bulkhead bolt until I went over to my swivel spacers instead.

IIRC if you have two identical cars but one has a wider track at the front than the rear then this car will had a better turning circle. So in principle widening the track of the front may tighten (reduce) your turning circle but this is a simplistic view.

On 2/9/2021 at 9:34 PM, biffer4240 said:

no offence taken and yes ur right i should have tried to explain better what i was trying to ask was if this trialer im making had no wheel locks on it and lets just say normal wheels if i drove it round in a circle on full lock and then just put wheel spacers on the front changed nothing else and drove round again on full lock would it have a bigger or smaller turning circle but ive read ur and others replies and thank every one for there help and advice 

On 2/11/2021 at 1:38 PM, tiddler said: