Rooftop tent and roof rack ?

Hi guys

Is there anyone on here with a hard shell rooftop tent fitted inc a roof rack that can tell me what the lowest spec i could go for please.

Its going to be fitted to an S2a swb so similar roof to an early ribbed roof defender and i am only asking on here as you don't see many fitted to a series but roof racks tend to be made to fit series and defender's 🙂

Lowest spec rack or tent?

You can fit most RTTs to good roofbars or racks, with a hardshell you'd need to check it's braced fore/aft for fitting on bars.

the carrying capacity needs to be at least 200kg (tent+occupants). If you go for something similar to a frontrunner rack, the legs adjust inboard & outboard to suit different roof widths, height of legs very important. 

Edited by Eightpot

I have a hannibal copy on my Brownchurch. I had to use bars to put it on top of the raised edges of the Brownchurch though as it wont fit within it and if it had, you cant fold it out over the back of the landy and use the bottom skirt on the tent. We are down to 5 mins to put up and 7 mins to pack away.

11 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Lowest spec rack or tent?

You can fit most RTTs to good roofbars or racks, with a hardshell you'd need to check it's braced fore/aft for fitting on bars.

the carrying capacity needs to be at least 200kg (tent+occupants). If you go for something similar to a frontrunner rack, the legs adjust inboard & outboard to suit different roof widths, height of legs very important. 

Both really I'm trying to work out how much of a gap I have between the roof supports of my garage and the landy with the lowest roof rack I can fit and the lowest roof tent I can fit, it's just that i have the landy on blocks atm awaiting my rear disc brake conversion to arrive, oh and my garage doors are higher than the garage roof supports :(

I have had several clients that had the hard shell directly bolted onto the roof with bracing inside the roof.

If the height is the restriction for you - you may consider a lifting roof.

afbeelding.png.fe7f814b270bfbf9b009aaa836558c0f.png

We had one for trial on the Hybrid. However, that one has a cage etc.

This is a Hannibal and it is heavy - about 100 Kgs. with the modified Brownchurch roof rack.

FamourFour make very sturdy roofbars that fit a Series - 3 or 4 should work for your hardshell and slightly less heavy.