LR4 brakes occasionally soft

sceh

This is a well worn topic for most cars and I would usually just bleed the brakes and go from there but there is something here I don't understand. The car is an LR4 diesel 2011

The brakes are usually pretty sharp (only 35K miles) but sometimes when maneuvering, the pedal will be soft and pumping does not help. Take the foot off and try a couple of times and it is OK. On the road so far there has been no sign of anything amiss but at very slow speeds I can stop sharp and then the next press is soft - halfway down and little braking.

Is there anything special about these brakes? The master cylinder is OK and I have already changed pads. What else??

I am not familiar with LR4, but my next step would be checking on the ABS accumulator? does it have one? sounds like a lack of fluid and or pressure in the system. If you are near a big city you could try getting the JLR dealer to plug in the diagnostics, but I have to say my experience in Bordeaux didn't exactly impress me with their abilities. 

I am not sure it has one but the braking logic is of mind-blowing complexity. In the old days you pressed the pedal and the brakes actuated. Not any more..
I have the workshop manual but it is not that helpful and the IIDtool indicates no errors.

If all else fails I will go to LR but would prefer not too since they are pretty incompetent here.

I will try bleeding first and go from there

2 hours ago, sceh said:

I am not sure it has one but the braking logic is of mind-blowing complexity. In the old days you pressed the pedal and the brakes actuated. Not any more..
I have the workshop manual but it is not that helpful and the IIDtool indicates no errors.

If all else fails I will go to LR but would prefer not too since they are pretty incompetent here.

I will try bleeding first and go from there

Why not also replace all the fluid at the same time.

Do LR have a diagnostic system of their own a bit like the Mercedes STAR system or do they just read fault codes?

I am concerned they will come up with some cockeyed reason to do a major piece of work which is not justified - like when they told me to change ALL the bushings on a car after 20K kms when in fact it was a couple of faulty shockers..which the supplier changed for free