New Old Defender (again)

Anderzander

At least you don't have to colour match replacements for the bonnet and rear door when they get nicked. Though that would never happen, these will never get parked outside.

I would like it better without the plastic A bar, and is it me or has it been lowered a small amount? Defenders just do not sit well with the wheels crammed up into the arches, there's something else "off" about it.

The 5 secs to 60 is truly impressive, definitely can appreciate the hilarity of that  in a car that isn't in any other way trying to be a sports car like those Kahn/Chelsea Truck Co abortions. I just think they should have gone full Camel spec and not tried to update it visually, the worst parts of it are the "modern" accessories.

Also would be better without the stickers, for £200k they couldn't even licence the Camel Trophy name? Better none at all than invent a Mickey mouse fictional event. 

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Wonder where they're getting the donor vehicles from?

Old Sodbury!  😂. They’re probably vehicles that were part exchanged for other models at franchised dealers over the last couple of years.  I imagine they bought up a fair bit of old stock, nervous about the new model’s reception, a bit like how they continued RRC production some time after starting sales of the P38.

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

At least you don't have to colour match replacements for the bonnet and rear door when they get nicked. Though that would never happen, these will never get parked outside.

I would like it better without the plastic A bar, and is it me or has it been lowered a small amount? Defenders just do not sit well with the wheels crammed up into the arches, there's something else "off" about it.

The 5 secs to 60 is truly impressive, definitely can appreciate the hilarity of that  in a car that isn't in any other way trying to be a sports car like those Kahn/Chelsea Truck Co abortions. I just think they should have gone full Camel spec and not tried to update it visually, the worst parts of it are the "modern" accessories.

Also would be better without the stickers, for £200k they couldn't even licence the Camel Trophy name? Better none at all than invent a Mickey mouse fictional event. 

I agree.  I’d much prefer a proper Camel Trophy vehicle, or even a very faithful replica, to this.  It does look wrong.

I think you’re right that most will sit in garages and secure lockups as investments, unused.  Road tax is going to cost a fortune on these, though I suppose that is of little concern to those who can blow £190k plus another £38k vat and god knows what else on other costs to register one.  I know the engine and transmission are much higher spec, but I can’t see this being anything other than insanity, the vat alone costing 35% more than the base vehicle cost new in the highest spec.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

Probably not allowed with the whole tobacco advertising ban.

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Road tax is going to cost a fortune on these, though I suppose that is of little concern to those who can blow £190k plus another £38k vat and god knows what else on other costs to register one.  I know the engine and transmission are much higher spec, but I can’t see this being anything other than insanity, the vat alone costing 35% more than the base vehicle cost new in the highest spec.

They'll be like the previous V8 works cars, they'll be the same to tax and 'same year' as the original car that was bought to be converted. 

image.png.db06e4f166f24439a2a3a0f2fe1c9105.png

So they'll keep the original chassis (5), Axles (2) and Steering assembly (2) for sure, giving them 9 points. From memory they'd also keep the suspension as that's I believe to do with 'type' rather than the individual OEM components.

35 minutes ago, cackshifter said:

I'd say the roll cage was a sensible addition. Interesting, it says they are on 16" steel wheels which do look Wolfy, but they have brake upgrades - I wonder what they are. Previously bigger brakes meant 18" wheels. Maybe a misprint?

Kingsley Cars have a 6-pot brake upgrade which fits under the standard RR rostyle steels... guess anything is doable with that kind of budget :lol: 

4 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

If you're more familar with the earlier crossmembers with the little tabs, they can make the later type with the hidden brackets a bit shallow.

It must be something like that - a little optical illusion - mine does have those tabs. That, and the fact that mine has an NAS step and towball attached. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Kingsley Cars have a 6-pot brake upgrade which fits under the standard RR rostyle steels... guess anything is doable with that kind of budget :lol: 

My 109 runs 310mm Wilwood discs & 4-pot callipers, I could bolt more pots on but it's already got more braking than grip :lol:, it all fits inside a wolf rim nicely (but not a modular, ask me how I know).

• Haha 1

The other year I went on a tour of Prodrives facility. What amazed me were the number of cars they looked after. These were rare cars (sometimes race cars). Clearly bought as investments. They weren't driven or used or anything like that. Just maintained and stored. So that the owner could sell them on and probably make money down the line. I suspect these new Defenders probably fall into that category.

Given that 190k is similar to how much you could spend on a new RR or a Bentley or something I know which I'd have if I was that minted. Don't blame LR for selling these any more than the factory-restored Series 1's and 2-door RR's they're turning out for 100k+, it's a good low-volume high-value business using British engineering skills even if we all think it's ridiculous money.

• Like 4

I could - perhaps - give houseroom to a New [old] Defender - but I'd want a van-bodied 90 and would insist on the silly attention-attracting 'adventure' accessories [roll-cage/roofrack/lights/A-bar/winch] being deleted, it being repainted in base white, and fitted with 117MPH road-rated tyres.

I never want to attract attention. You can blat a clean-but-boring-looking Land-Rover down a motorway at 80MPH and the Volkspolizei don't turn a hair; do the same in something that looks like it's a low-rent refugee from Tomb Raider and you can guarantee to see blue-lights in your mirrors.