110 Chassis stamped with 'BATCH No 9214' but no vin number???

Hi guys here's a weird one, we have got a 1986 110 van in for chassis and bulkhead work. i always check the vin numbers in this instance so if i need to work/weld that area the customer can make a choice on whether to delete it or restamp it. Anyway, the usual area on the front RHS has no number, but slightly pitted so it could just of rusted away however as weve been working around it on the upper edge of the front RHS radius arm mount (under the drivers floor plate) it is stamped with 'BATCH No 9214'. I've never seen this in all the years I've worked on them and wondered what on earth it means?

Interestingly or not is the lack of a white roof inside after removing all the paint both inside and out for a respray, it seems it originally was orange all over, any clues? Ex council? Utility? chassis replacement?

Any clues appreciated.

Thanks Wayne.

Thanks guys.

Probably right Ralph as its pretty good for a 1986 year.

One and two.... maybe correct but this dosent have a dash between the first 2 numbers and the second 2   

hes chosen to have it ground off and the front dumb iron restamped so all will match and stop future questions.

Thanks again Wayne,

• Like 1

Batch number is normal, I guess its just from the chassis manufacturer (Land Rover didn't make them).  The chassis/vin number is no doubt difficult to see because of rust/pitting over 34 years - a bit of work with a brass wire wheel might bring it up. 

Definitely orange,  like the G4 orange. everywhere, not on nut and bolt heads but everywhere under the underseal that's been on their for years.... sanded orange back in areas like the roof and its orange then back to alloy.... any steel areas though seemed to have a black etch type primer under the orange.

Ralph those sweb look more red to me.

I did look at some pics of them though and noticed a lot of roof racks, this thing has had something bolted to the front 4 inches of the gutter (its bent the gutter) and there are signs of drill holes in the roof close to the gutter half way then some at the rear covered with alloy and sealer (better get the tig welder out) so i recon a semi permeant roof rack was fitted.

Three point five naa not yellow I've removed that coat(someone had painted it canary yellow (badly) when the paint inside peeled like a sheet of vinyl revealing the original shiny orange I suggested the whole lot come off as clearly prep wasn't high on the painters list, come to think of it neither was a decent spray gun. 

Thanks again guys

Got it its a NEEB.

North Eastern Electricity Board.

The penny dropped when the owner said he bought it off a Geordie that had had it for years. 

Now here's his decision, does he do it yellow because he likes it or go back to the original colour?

(He would of stayed yellow if the inside had remained in presentable condition but after the paint peeled its having a full hit inside and out and under the rear arches, wings and doors are off so all is easy to do and get at for a full colour change.)

• Like 1