Nicer seats for a 300Tdi Defender

Hi all

I know the debate for having a nicer seat in a Defender has been going on and on (and on), but one thing has always troubled me about it. Because on early Defenders the battery is under the passenger seat (and on an early 110 there is storage under the drivers seat) what do people do when they replace the stock seats with something nicer? Do you make a frame that allows the base to be removable or do you just not bother and unbolt the seat when you need access to these areas?

As some background the girlfriend wants nicer seats in the 90 (and is even prepared to pay for them) but I'm torn because I know I'm going to need to get to the battery at some point and currently that's easy.

Cheers

Yeah, don't know if you've tried refurbing them already, but with new foams and covers I find them a pretty comfortable seat - chuck in a heated seat kit as well to keep the mrs happy. Easy to add extra thin foam sections here & there to boost lumbar or seat base if needed.

I've refurbished many seats over the years, long term the exmoor foam does seem to hold it's shape longer than the cheaper Britpart,  particularly on the base, though either is better than flat crumbly old foam. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, western said:

How about fitting new foams & new fabric covers to your existing seats, that would keep battery access & be much more comfortable to sit in. Exmoor trim do various materials. 

2 hours ago, Eightpot said:

Yeah, don't know if you've tried refurbing them already, but with new foams and covers I find them a pretty comfortable seat - chuck in a heated seat kit as well to keep the mrs happy. Easy to add extra thin foam sections here & there to boost lumbar or seat base if needed.

I've refurbished many seats over the years, long term the exmoor foam does seem to hold it's shape longer than the cheaper Britpart,  particularly on the base, though either is better than flat crumbly old foam. 

To be honest the seats that are in there are actually in good condition, but they're not what she wants....