Axle Casings Defender/Disco 1 10 vs 24 spline

jad

Morning Guys,

Can anyone confirm if there are any differences between 10 and 24 spline casings? I want to redo the leaf spring mounts on my converted axle to gain some castor angle which should be possible now I have parabolic springs fitted as there is more space for the steering bar and also to bring the mounts slightly closer together as I think they are slightly too far apart which is causing my chassis bushes to fail prematurely! Will also allow me to redo bump stops properly! Not much then.... So I am either looking for a 24 spline axle (with or without internals to keep as spares) or I am wondering if I can get away with a 10 spline casing?

Thanks

Jad

Thanks tiddler, yeah all of the bracketry would be coming off so changes in that aren't important. Suppose the main things would be stub axle bolt pattern and thread size and then the same for the diff attachment point...

Cheers

The only thing which differs is the swivel housing number of bolts on some of the very early 10 spline I think. 

I also have a front axle case sitting here needing a home. Front radius arm brackets a bit bent, but you would be removing those anyway. 

I am on the look out for a 300tdi era rear axle casing if anyone has one 

Thanks for the offer John. I would take you up on it but see you are a little further away than VB which makes things harder at the moment... Maybe if you still have it when lockdown lifts I could make the trip.

Unfortunately no axles lying around so wouldn't be able to swap with you.

Thanks

Jad