Tyre Advice

Hello all, 

I was hoping to get some advice about tire choice. I bought my 90 with these absurd Ziarelli Extreme in 235/70 R16. Im looking to get something else that will be easier on the gas consumption, clutch when getting off from a dead stop, faster speed (slightly) etc. 

I like the look of the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs or the BF Goodrich All Terrain KO2 but given that I drive 90% on asphalt maybe even these would be pointless as they are still meant for off road application? 

If the goodyears or BFG are too aggressive and wont make much of a difference maybe its pointless to change?

Hope someone can chime in.

45 minutes ago, Arjan said:

We run Continental Cross Contacts (235/85 R16) and are very happy with them and they do fine in the Alps..

These are a good road biased tyre with enough ability off road should you want to venture up a lane or in a field. I too would recommend for this application.

The BFG AT's arguably look better (more aggressive). But would make more sense if you off road more. The MTR was a standard fitment by Land Rover. Probably not a bad tyre and they run ok on the road. But they are noisy (make a humming noise). And my experience of them, they are rubbish in the mud. And not very good in the snow either.

For places like Oz or even parts of the USA where you have hard baked mud, sand, gravel and dry rocks. I think they would work better than they do in the UK. I'm not familiar with the terrain in Italy however.

• Like 1

After swapping BFG AT for Wrangler MTR you could feel the rolling resistance increase instantly and there's been a corresponding drop in mpg. I do like the MTRs in general though.  Pretty much all of the aggressive looking tyres will hammer fuel consumption.  Cross contacts, Grabber TR etc roll nicer. 

BFG AT will be ideal for your usage, they work excellent in everything other than deep thick mud.

I’ve never noticed a reduction in fuel efficiency or any increase in noise between ‘road’ tyres or a good AT like the BFG, so they would be my recommendation. Available in 235/85/R16 as a standard size. 

• Like 2

Another vote for BFG ATs.  I have had two sets of their ATKOs (first generation) on my 109 and my RRC (2 sets each), and remain very impressed with them for all road conditions and for gravel, shale, dirt tracks and dry grass slopes.  They were ok in moderate mud to.  But the surprise was how much better they are on snow, ice and frosty block paving (which is surprisingly slippery) than the road biased Michelin tyres LR fit as standard to their vehicles.

I can see there is a lot of love for the BFG AT's. If the op plans to off road, then I'd agree. They won't be a bad tyre choice at all, but if you are correct in saying 90% on road (and the assumption that the 10% off road is only mild off roading). Then there are more road biased tyres than the BFG AT that might work better for the 90% of the time and still be suitable enough for the 10%.

48 minutes ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

I can see there is a lot of love for the BFG AT's. If the op plans to off road, then I'd agree. They won't be a bad tyre choice at all, but if you are correct in saying 90% on road (and the assumption that the 10% off road is only mild off roading). Then there are more road biased tyres than the BFG AT that might work better for the 90% of the time and still be suitable enough for the 10%.

That's probably quite fair. Another reason for me choosing the BFG ATs was thoughts with respect to handling in snow and ice.

In any case, all tire choices are likely to be a compromise as we drive in different conditions and surfaces. Suspect for roads most likely having correct inflation pressures will help with mpg 🙂

Simon...

On 2/16/2021 at 4:38 PM, Chicken Drumstick said:

I was trying to make the point that BFG ATs seem better on road in my experience than most road biased tyres, particularly in winter, certainly better than the Pirelli, Michelin and Hankook tyres I’ve had on the vehicles.

21 minutes ago, Snagger said:

I was trying to make the point that BFG ATs seem better on road in my experience than most road biased tyres, particularly in winter, certainly better than the Pirelli, Michelin and Hankook tyres I’ve had on the vehicles.

Agree. 👍

Edited by simonpelly

• western changed the title to Tyre Advice