200TDi OIL FILTER HOUSING THREAD SIZE/TYPE

Hello all.

I am in the process of replacing the paper element type oil filter housing on my 2.25 petrol with a cartridge type oilf filter housing from a 200 TDi. I need to blank off the oil cooler ports, one of which there is a blanking plate and 'O' ring for. I have the balnking plate and 'O' ring and have blanked the relevant port off. I am looking for a blanking plug for the other port. I was under the impression it was M20x1.5. However, I have obtained an M20x1.5 blanking plug but it doesn't seem correct, it goes in about 4 or 5 threads and then tightens up. It seems to me that the thread is incorrect, the diameter seems 'about' right though.

Does anyone know the correct thread size? Here's a picture by way of explanation. The port in question is highlighted by the red arrow.

Thanks in advance, Mark.

image.png.c3f12001ed56c7daf384b80515101b43.png

There are 2 variations of these filter heads,

one has a concave seat in the red arrowed part & item 3 to accept the matching hose end, the other type has no concave seat & the hose ends are straight with a flange on where a 'O' ring seal sits between the flange & seat in filter head. https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/103388-defender-200tdi-oil-cooler-hose-connections/

more info in here https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/25065-oil-cooler-hose-adaptor-for-200tdi-engine/

I do have one of each in my garage, both are damaged & no longer useable, but I may have the plug your looking for. 

these heads were used on all the pre 300Tdi 4 cylinder 2.5 litre engines petrol & diesel.

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, western said:

There are 2 variations of these filter heads,

one has a concave seat in the red arrowed part & item 3 to accept the matching hose end, the other type has no concave seat & the hose ends are straight with a flange on where a 'O' ring seal sits between the flange & seat in filter head. https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/103388-defender-200tdi-oil-cooler-hose-connections/

more info in here https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/25065-oil-cooler-hose-adaptor-for-200tdi-engine/

I do have one of each in my garage, both are damaged & no longer useable, but I may have the plug your looking for. 

these heads were used on all the pre 300Tdi 4 cylinder 2.5 litre engines petrol & diesel.

Ralph, thank you for the reply.

If you have a look at the attached photos, it appears that the port does have a concave seat in the bottom.

image.png.cd09547437c172eca8bfeb1a0142b160.png

image.png.101f4a03cc0caa96dccebede577caafc.png

If you do have something suitable, I would be more than willing to buy it from you if you would be willing to post it to me.

regards, Mark. 

image.png

I've had a look in my garage, I haven't got a suitable plug to fit in that port,

but on 2.5 n/a diesel without oil cooler the parts book gives plug RTC6851 & washer 213961 to close the port off. 

another option is see if your area has a Pirtek or Hydroscandia agent, they maybe able to source a suitable plug.

2 minutes ago, western said:

I've had a look in my garage, I haven't got a suitable plug to fit in that port,

but on 2.5 n/a diesel without oil cooler the parts book gives plug RTC6851 & washer 213961 to close the port off. 

Brilliant, thank you Ralph.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, western said:

If you do find a suitable plug, Please close this post with the size/type of thread details.

Ralph, I've ordered the parts you have identified.

• Like 1

Just to confirm, the plug which Ralph suggested - RTC6851 with copper washer 213961 - is the correct one to block off the oil cooler ports on a 200TDi oil filter housing.

Thanks Ralph.

Regards, Mark.

Oil Filter Housing.jpg

I took a mechanical oil pressure feed from there.

Is your blanking plate the proper part or just a plate ? 

I tried a plate to start with on mine - but it leaked -  just not enough width to seal against. So I ended up buying the proper blanking plate (ERC9884) that sits into the opening and uses the o-ring. Expensive... but worked 🙂

Both have damage where the oil pressure switch screws in, one I did have the broken bit welded back on & fitted a helicoil but could not make it leak free, the other is intact but cracked at the same location, & it's spread open slightly, I can add 2 photos when home from work about 7.30pm. 

I think both could be welded up & redilled & threaded for the pressure switch. But haven't done any more with them yet, 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I took a mechanical oil pressure feed from there.

Is your blanking plate the proper part or just a plate ? 

I tried a plate to start with on mine - but it leaked -  just not enough width to seal against. So I ended up buying the proper blanking plate (ERC9884) that sits into the opening and uses the o-ring. Expensive... but worked 🙂

Anderzander, it's the correct plate and 'O' ring. As you say, expensive for what it is, but hopefully it will seal correctly.

• Like 1