Prop shaft removal - Tight Bolts

Hi Folks,

Looking to remove both the front and rear prop shafts on our 1997 Defender 110

Started with a pair of 14mm spanners. The bolts are chuffing tight. Not managed to budge them. Squirted with some PlusGas and then decided better off having some dinner before doing any damage (probably to myself in truth)

Any top tips appreciated. Would rather not have to consider getting the grinder out.

Thanks in advance,

Simon...

I think you will find a 3/8 drive socket the best, in conjunction with a short extension and a flex handle, You need the extension because there isn't enough space for the knuckle of the flex handle to fit next to the socket. 3/8 not half inch because of the space constraints. If you are buying a new socket go for 6 point rather than 12 point; it's less likely to slip.

I already have 3/8 drive sockets, which is why I just use a normal extension, but otherwise the purpose built tool does the job.

Regards.

3 hours ago, David Sparkes said:

I think you will find a 3/8 drive socket the best, in conjunction with a short extension and a flex handle, You need the extension because there isn't enough space for the knuckle of the flex handle to fit next to the socket. 3/8 not half inch because of the space constraints. If you are buying a new socket go for 6 point rather than 12 point; it's less likely to slip.

I already have 3/8 drive sockets, which is why I just use a normal extension, but otherwise the purpose built tool does the job.

Regards.

The proper tool is also a much much thinner wall than a standard socket so you can get in without having to rotate the propshaft at all.

4 minutes ago, Junglie said:

Propshaft socket. I bought one from LR Spares, they sent me two.

They don't want the spare one back, so if anyone needs one I have a spare - it's yours for the postage. Let me know...

Thanks for the offer. Have just literally bought one and arrived yesterday. Also took the plunge and invested in an impact wrench.

This combination on the propshaft bolts was incredible. Bolts/nuts off in no time at all. Good tip above about doing diff ends first to allow better access to bolts on the handbrake drum.

Have now successfully removed gearboxes and engine. Do not know how I would have managed without an impact wrench. Should have got one years ago.

Simon...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, simonpelly said:

Thanks for the offer. Have just literally bought one and arrived yesterday. Also took the plunge and invested in an impact wrench.

This combination on the propshaft bolts was incredible. Bolts/nuts off in no time at all. Good tip above about doing diff ends first to allow better access to bolts on the handbrake drum.

Have now successfully removed gearboxes and engine. Do not know how I would have managed without an impact wrench. Should have got one years ago.

Simon...

I have an air wrench and, from years of working on carp Japanese motorbikes where all the screws were made of cheese, I'm a dab hand with an impact driver as well.

Wouldn't do without either :)