Starting to loose the will with my Land Rover

So London as of April are banning your diesel vehicles or £25 a day Depending on if your rich I guess (rich playground) now yesterday I had a letter saying my window cleaning van has been spotted driving thu Bath and is now liable to £9 a day CAZ (clean air zone) starting March, 

was going to rebuild my 110 just getting so depressed owning a car now think I’ll give up,

what are you lot doing to overcome this problem?

euro engine? Or something

my 200tdi is running brilliant now no problems with it at all😡

1 minute ago, Green200tdi said:

what are you lot doing to overcome this problem?

What age is your 110? If over 40 years old, it is exempt from most clean air zones, as a vintage vehicle, so by the time you are done it may not be a problem.

Otherwise, fit a V8 like everyone else is doing, which gets round a lot of it.

Depends how strong your connection to a Defender is. I'll be hopefully rebuilding mine in the next 5 years. And then in 20 years when electric conversions are more affordable and well-trodden, i'll do that. If I had to commute in a urban area a lot, I'd get a modern car and leave the Defender for other stuff.

Or, the 70th V8 editions are ULEZ compliant 😉

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

What age is your 110? If over 40 years old, it is exempt from most clean air zones, as a vintage vehicle, so by the time you are done it may not be a problem.

Otherwise, fit a V8 like everyone else is doing, which gets round a lot of it.

C reg 1986 

great news then I can rebuild 😊

Edited by Green200tdi

2 hours ago, Will@LRW said:

Depends how strong your connection to a Defender is. I'll be hopefully rebuilding mine in the next 5 years. And then in 20 years when electric conversions are more affordable and well-trodden, i'll do that. If I had to commute in a urban area a lot, I'd get a modern car and leave the Defender for other stuff.

Where would the battery’s go?

They are unlikely to ban anything in a meaningful way, just tax things so they're too expensive to run for normal people.

It's the point with the LEZs etc. The fact they are making people not take vehicles into those areas or even changing their engines is exactly what they are meant to do; the point is cleaner air, not revenue generation (yes, I know the argument that it is, or is both).

I've worked on the principle that by 2030 it will be too expensive in tax, fuel and societal percetion to drive the 90. All the more reason to get a few years' enjoyment out of it now.

• Like 1

I see it as a ban as they are making it impractical to drive a diesel in some cities. Kind of like with company cars. You can get a diesel if you really want to but you will be forced to pay alot of tax. I ended up a few years ago getting a mitsubishi outlander phev because of favourable benefit in kind tax. A great car of you do local trips or city driving but it drove me bonkers having to fill the damn thing up all the time to the point I really hated the car. 

5 hours ago, Will@LRW said:

That's sort of similar to our plan. Will keep the diesel going as long as possible. Don't use it for commuting so not impacted too much by the clean air zones - not yet anyway. Might consider doing an electric conversion in a decade or two if it becomes too awkward for running a diesel. That said, would only consider an electric conversion if it was a simple as battery, throttle and motor. Anything else with settings, computers, touch screens, etc... and I'll do without 🙂

Its the less well off living in these areas where they slap a fairly sudden ban on certain vehicles that I feel most sorry for. Years of the Bliar government pushing diesels. Thats now all a lot of people can afford third or fourth hand and then that prat sadiq khan 'my dad was one of you common people - a bus driver dont you know - so that means i can speak for you commoner' slaps a great big ban on these vehicles within the north and south circular (when he gets his way). Suddenly normal people have to either change vehicle or pay yet another fee to live - many simply can't afford either but Mr 'I speak for the Common Man' couldn't care less!

Haha. Rant over... I spend a reasonable amount of time in that area as I have family all around south London hence it gets my goat. 

Edited by reb78

1 hour ago, simonpelly said:

That said, would only consider an electric conversion if it was a simple as battery, throttle and motor. Anything else with settings, computers, touch screens, etc... and I'll do without 🙂

One of these then? 🤣

5c81140adde76551d626d8efcdf66ebd.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

They are unlikely to ban anything in a meaningful way, just tax things so they're too expensive to run for normal people.

It's the point with the LEZs etc. The fact they are making people not take vehicles into those areas or even changing their engines is exactly what they are meant to do; the point is cleaner air, not revenue generation (yes, I know the argument that it is, or is both).

I've worked on the principle that by 2030 it will be too expensive in tax, fuel and societal percetion to drive the 90. All the more reason to get a few years' enjoyment out of it now.

So I take it you believe in man made climate change?

Clean air? ect. Oh well, was going to comment but there no point. Changed my mind

Wait till there no gas or oil heating only electricity and green at that. Just look at texas in the USA thats your familys future , if you just accept it . Climate lockdows are coming. I would stop all the trucks going into the lez or whatever it called , but the elite would not like that. I however am installing a diesel generator in our home and store of red diesel,  for the coming blackouts, I can mind the 70s but then that was caused by strikes , this will be cause by green nonsense ie no coal fired power stations or gas , when the power starts going on and off. THIS AINT ABOUT CLEAN AIR SAME AS COVID 19 AINT ABOUT A VIRUS 

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I completely accept man made climate change the evidence is overwhelming. As for covid, go and talk to those mourning the loss of loved ones or doctors and nurses who are working tirelessly to help those suffering: you can talk to my wife who is a nurse if you like. I do however really dislike the blunt tool of simply banning things rather than persuasion through rational debate.

That said I feel many of the problems most of us now find ourselves in is when logic and expert opinion are shouted down and dismissed. It's when we stop listening to expert opinion, allowing logic and facts to change our minds rather than emotion or preconceived ideas that things really start to go wrong. I often wonder for those folks who don't like an expert opinion: do they go to the doctor when they are ill or just ask their friends down the pub for a diagnosis? 

• Like 3

Clean air? ect. Oh well, was going to comment but there no point. Changed my mind

You can put forward any opnion you might wish to, so long as you do so with the basic respect and decency we all should expect of each other. Getting angry because someone doesn't agree with your opinion is not an option, though.

So I take it you believe in man made climate change?

All of the credible science does point to it.... But I didn't mention climate change. I merely said these schemes are designed to keep more-polluting engines out of areas. Separate climate change from this for a minute; we can prove that air quality increases when traffic is lower. We can prove that smog is a thing. We can prove that instances of respiratory disease is higher in the most polluted areas. All of the evidence points to these as true.

Whether these schemes are the best way to do this, whether they unfairly penalise those who cannot afford them and do nothing against those who can is a different matter. I am saying they make people think about the vehicles they own and drive in those areas, as we see on this forum.

25 minutes ago, andy _1 said:

Wait till there no gas or oil heating only electricity and green at that. Just look at texas in the USA thats your familys future , if you just accept it . Climate lockdows are coming. I would stop all the trucks going into the lez or whatever it called , but the elite would not like that. I however am installing a diesel generator in our home and store of red diesel,  for the coming blackouts, I can mind the 70s but then that was caused by strikes , this will be cause by green nonsense ie no coal fired power stations or gas , when the power starts going on and off. THIS AINT ABOUT CLEAN AIR SAME AS COVID 19 AINT ABOUT A VIRUS 

Ok.

@Green200tdiapologies for putting your thread off-topic, you've got a cracking vehicle and it would be a shame to see you lose interest in it.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ThreePointFive said:

You can put forward any opnion you might wish to, so long as you do so with the basic respect and decency we all should expect of each other. Getting angry because someone doesn't agree with your opinion is not an option, though.

All of the credible science does point to it.... But I didn't mention climate change. I merely said these schemes are designed to keep more-polluting engines out of areas. Separate climate change from this for a minute; we can prove that air quality increases when traffic is lower. We can prove that smog is a thing. We can prove that instances of respiratory disease is higher in the most polluted areas. All of the evidence points to these as true.

Whether these schemes are the best way to do this, whether they unfairly penalise those who cannot afford them and do nothing against those who can is a different matter. I am saying they make people think about the vehicles they own and drive in those areas, as we see on this forum.

Ok.

@Green200tdiapologies for putting your thread off-topic, you've got a cracking vehicle and it would be a shame to see you lose interest in it.

I am not getting angry with anyone , I am just pointing out I do not believe goverment  propaganda. If you really believe  that then good for you. I do research into something when someone says , this is for that ect. Re the covid I suggest you look at the ONS data for England, goverment data over the last 30 years of monthly death totals all cause. It shows there is no pandemic but you'll not get that on BBC ect. Anyone can believe what they want , I choose to do research into anything , I don't just believe goverment conspiracy theorys , because if you look you'll find they are telling falsehoods .

• Confused 2

So are we agreed when my landy turns 40 it’s free from this rubbish? 

I know what your saying about costs road tax ect I think somewhere down the line another U turn will hit just after lots of people sell/ scrap there old vehicles and they work out trade has been hit,

I have a customer I work with on house cleans in bath her van is 2012 non compliant vehicle so unless she changes hers she’s going to be hit £9 a day 5 days a week as she has lots of work I bath,

knew it was coming after London it’s why I held back from buying a newer work van, 

just waiting for Swindon Bristol now.

Ultimately I guess it depends on the local authority - as towns and cities introduce their own low emissions rules they will decide what is and isn’t exempt, if anything.

A reasonable assumption might be that vehicles in the historic tax class might be exempt as they are with the LEZ in London, but that would require consistency which is something I doubt we will get as these measure are rolled out.

I've found that owning a "normal" car for commuting makes LR ownership far more tolerable, especially on the wallet.

No matter what silliness befalls me over a weekend I can walk out on Monday morning and get into something with comfy seats and a working heater that starts on the button and cruises along with no effort. Doesn't have to be a sensible car either - I've followed Ross's lead and picked up a Mini Cooper which is hilarious fun. I think if I had to commute in London I'd be driving a cheap Smart car in rattle-can matt black.

TBH it's easy to get all doom and gloom about all this but I think as most people switch to EV's or hybrids the pressure will come off classics like ours as we'll be such a small niche it's hardly worth the political argument - over the next 5-10 years everyone's going to be going electric and the majority of the world who don't really care what's under the bonnet will be wondering why anyone would want to spend all that money on filling a fuel tank with hydrocarbons. We'll be in the same niche as steam enthusiasts - too small to bother with.

Also, honestly when it becomes economically viable to convert to electric I'd seriously consider it for my fleet - V8's are great fun and all but electric is the ultimate smooth power for a vehicle, it's just that batteries still suck.

• Like 1