Starting to loose the will with my Land Rover

4 hours ago, Green200tdi said:

So are we agreed when my landy turns 40 it’s free from this rubbish? 

As I understand it, but don't take it from me, it was just something I read saying it was the case for the new Bristol 'clean air zone' and that they were following the lead of other places in allowing historic vehicles in without a charge, they cited London as an example.

On 2/21/2021 at 7:10 PM, Bowie69 said:

As I understand it, but don't take it from me, it was just something I read saying it was the case for the new Bristol 'clean air zone' and that they were following the lead of other places in allowing historic vehicles in without a charge, they cited London as an example.

Just having a read up 

33771F5B-FC7C-48A4-A4D4-E133F08C8D0A.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Green200tdi said:

Just having a read up 

33771F5B-FC7C-48A4-A4D4-E133F08C8D0A.jpeg

Historically vehicles loosely translated means all the mp’s and rich who drive in old Daimler’s Aston martins ect not us landy owners but have to allow due to age don’t see many people with cars older then 15 years old lol

Edited by Green200tdi

8 minutes ago, Green200tdi said:

Historically vehicles loosely translated means all the mp’s and rich who drive in old Daimler’s Aston martins ect not us landy owners but have to allow due to age don’t see many people with cars older then 15 years old lol

Do we ever see MP's cruising around in old Daimlers or Astons?

I don't think it's conspiracy, it's just that it's so few vehicles it's not worth the hassle trying to make rules about them.

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

I've found that owning a "normal" car for commuting makes LR ownership far more tolerable, especially on the wallet.

No matter what silliness befalls me over a weekend I can walk out on Monday morning and get into something with comfy seats and a working heater that starts on the button and cruises along with no effort. Doesn't have to be a sensible car either - I've followed Ross's lead and picked up a Mini Cooper which is hilarious fun. I think if I had to commute in London I'd be driving a cheap Smart car in rattle-can matt black.

This.

It's an age thing, we're all getting to be miserable, cantankerous buggers who like some comfort in their lives :D

On 2/20/2021 at 1:57 PM, Green200tdi said:

So London as of April are banning your diesel vehicles or £25 a day Depending on if your rich I guess (rich playground) now yesterday I had a letter saying my window cleaning van has been spotted driving thu Bath and is now liable to £9 a day CAZ (clean air zone) starting March, 

was going to rebuild my 110 just getting so depressed owning a car now think I’ll give up,

what are you lot doing to overcome this problem?

euro engine? Or something

my 200tdi is running brilliant now no problems with it at all😡

Did I read somewhere that an LPG conversion for diesels is feasible? Or am I going bonkers?

If it is then it could be the answer to your problems. I bought a V8 for the same reason, but I have to be honest and say that I really don't like diesel anyway, so it's a great excuse ;)

Either way, once you see past the frustration you'll fall back in love with your Landy and all will be well in the world. 

3 minutes ago, Junglie said:

Did I read somewhere that an LPG conversion for diesels is feasible? Or am I going bonkers?

If it is then it could be the answer to your problems. I bought a V8 for the same reason, but I have to be honest and say that I really don't like diesel anyway, so it's a great excuse ;)

Either way, once you see past the frustration you'll fall back in love with your Landy and all will be well in the world. 

LPG for diesels isn’t as a replacement fuel but there as I think a catalyst. Think of it more like a nitrous oxide type setup. 

• Like 1

On 2/21/2021 at 6:14 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

... I think if I had to commute in London I'd be driving a cheap Smart car in rattle-can matt black.

When I commuted into town (or indeed when I commuted anywhere) I used a nifty little 1000cc...motorbike.

207bhp and 300kg with a full tank of fuel and me on board gives, um, adequate performance as well as about 40mpg. And TFL can't do me for congestion charging either :)

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

LPG for diesels isn’t as a replacement fuel but there as I think a catalyst. Think of it more like a nitrous oxide type setup. 

Ah, thanks. So I could have got better than glacial performance from my 12J then?

On 2/23/2021 at 6:11 PM, Badger110 said:

This.

It's an age thing, we're all getting to be miserable, cantankerous buggers who like some comfort in their lives :D

Speak for yourself, it’s a V8 series all the way for me, leafs an’ all 💪😉 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Bigj66 said:

Speak for yourself, it’s a V8 series all the way for me, leafs an’ all 💪😉 

Indeed - I wouldn't think twice about driving the 109 half way round the world or hopping in the 127 for a 3000 mile holiday jaunt - but I still say a sensible or just different daily is a wonderful thing. The TD4 Freelander was an excellent daily, the only downfall of it was that I ended up off-roading it whenever the 109 was being worked on whereas there's no temptation with the Mini.

On 2/24/2021 at 3:11 AM, landroversforever said:

That’s it.  I believe it’s common in HGVs, giving a considerable boost without enormous black soot clouds and dire mpg, cutting in for acceleration but not active for cruising.

21 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Indeed - I wouldn't think twice about driving the 109 half way round the world or hopping in the 127 for a 3000 mile holiday jaunt - but I still say a sensible or just different daily is a wonderful thing. The TD4 Freelander was an excellent daily, the only downfall of it was that I ended up off-roading it whenever the 109 was being worked on whereas there's no temptation with the Mini.

I intend to buy a used EV when I come home, just for the ease of maintenance and cheapness of running.  Petrol will get more expensive as they try to force a shift, but I’m sure they’ll bring in increased road tax for EVs to make up the treasury income as ICE vehicles disappear.  The money has to come from somewhere.  But having a home with garage and driveway will make EV ownership simple.

I have to say I quite fancy a Mini, or Min-E or whatever they call it.  Doesn’t do well in the reviews compared to others in the category because of poorer handling, less space, less range etc, all because they have shoehorned an EV system into an already existing shell.  The vast majority have shells designed around the EV systems.  I can see the compromise, but as most modern cars are boring as hell but I still like the character of Minis, old and new, I’m tempted.  But a Leaf does have the advantage of being cheaper and being a proven retrofit to Land Rovers...  

• Like 1