Which Defender 110 worth purchasing?

So I've finally taken the plunge to buy my first landrover and absolutely astonished by the prices - especially of those that may have been customised by one of a number of companies; Twisted, Nene, Lucari, Urban etc.  Seems the London jet set have moved from Porsche in to Landrover world.

The dilemma I have is whether to go for a low mileage 110 XS 14-16 for high 30's to low 40's or get an Expedition for low 50s.  None of these have been customised.  There are a few around - a couple with L/Rover dealers and one with Jim Hallam.  Anyone had dealings with Jim Hallam and can they recommend them?  Would you always go for main dealer?

Finally, out of the outfitters which ones do people recommend using, if at all?

Welcome any useful knowledge people can share.

‘Expedition’ there’s never been a factory defender called that? So if it’s got loads of extras it’s not factory. Or are you meaning the last of line ‘adventure’ models which are orange and black?

If it’s your first I’d seriously suggest hiring one first. They’re very much an acquired taste and some people absolutely hate the drive.

what are you wanting it for? That will help narrow down what to go for. 

• Like 3

I would avoid all of the tarter-uppers like the plague. Get something that's not been dicked about with by anyone.

Also 2nd Ross's comment - borrow or hire one for a week to see if you can live with it, it's not like anything else you've driven.

If I had 40k to throw at a Defender I'd be tempted to get a ratty old one and rennovate it as I wanted - likely end up better, more solid and longer lived than a tarted up late-model.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, monkie said:

First rule of owning a Defender... Never add up what you have spent on them over the years, it will scare you :hysterical:

If you want to scare yourself, work out how much you would have lost in depreciation with just about any other vehicle.

2 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

If you want to scare yourself, work out how much you would have lost in depreciation with just about any other vehicle.

I think it was @TSD worked out his Ibex was cheaper to run including new gearboxes when you take into account depreciation, than a Mondeo or something :lol: 

In my case, £0/hr labour charges and the near zero depreciation went a long way to offset the fuel costs of commuting 750 miles a week, and I got to spend the hours in something I actually like driving.

Fifteen years on, I've just looked at ebay and I can't see any 15yo Mondeos I'd swap for my Ibex, so I'm still pretty happy with my choice :D

A mate asked if my (parked up for a couple of years) 200tdi 90 was for sale the other day, and how much I'd want for it. I'm glad I told him to go away and think of an offer, or I might have given it away. Looking at ebay there seem to be many with asking prices higher than I paid for mine 10 years ago!

Welcome Billy

As above, what do you want to use the vehicle for? Off-roading, green laning, travel, local runabout, daily driver?

Whether you are able/willing to do any work required yourself will also have a bearing on what you would want to buy.

Personally I wouldn’t be spending that sort of money on a Defender as you’ll be buying at the premium, and frankly overpriced, end of the market.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I would avoid all of the tarter-uppers like the plague. Get something that's not been dicked about with by anyone.

Also 2nd Ross's comment - borrow or hire one for a week to see if you can live with it, it's not like anything else you've driven.

If I had 40k to throw at a Defender I'd be tempted to get a ratty old one and rennovate it as I wanted - likely end up better, more solid and longer lived than a tarted up late-model.

I hate to keep agreeing with everything Fridge says, but for me this is the best approach. Buy a decent TD5/TDCI in standard trim, drive it about a bit and get to love it as-is. Form a shopping list of things that drive you nuts about it (heated seats, mirrors, windscreen, etc) then throw that money at it with a clear plan for what you're doing, how and when, in one go. With that budget, you could pay someone else to do the work and still have enough left over for a sensible daily.

I must have spent double what mine is worth, but apart from the time it has taken (I didn't follow my own advice above) I have exactly what I wanted. 

2 hours ago, monkie said:

First rule of owning a Defender... Never add up what you have spent on them over the years, it will scare you :hysterical:

Ah but that's instalments - they don't count! :P

19 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

I hate to keep agreeing with everything Fridge says

Clearly there's something wrong with you - have you been at the metal polish again?

58 minutes ago, TSD said:

A mate asked if my (parked up for a couple of years) 200tdi 90 was for sale the other day, and how much I'd want for it. I'm glad I told him to go away and think of an offer, or I might have given it away. Looking at ebay there seem to be many with asking prices higher than I paid for mine 10 years ago!

The day that 90 comes up for sale you're liable to lose an arm in the rush :lol:

The same issues that plague the majority of defenders (i.e. rust, oil leaks etc) will also plague those £40-50k defenders, the only difference being you'll have a nice DAB radio and quilted leather to enjoy whilst it's happening. I would echo the sentiments above but for me it would be a 2013-15 110 for £20-25k then have it properly cleaned up and waxoyled every couple of years. The 2.2 engines are a bit more familiar-feeling if you're new to defender ownership and the heaters on those models are pretty good which makes a big difference.

No need to stick with LR dealers either as their prices will definitely be inflated.

Also to add, I would hold some of your budget back for upgrades/work that may be required over the next couple of years. A set of new tyres for example don't come cheap. 

P.S I like that your name identifies you as fan of Viz magazine.