Confirming a 1990 (19J) Defender 90 engine is original

Hi folks. I'm looking at buying a 1990 defender but need to make sure that the engine is original (as was suggested by the seller). Someone told me that Discovery engine upgrades were common on those vehicles but I cannot confirm. A changed engine would impact my insurance so I need to be sure. I have some pictures of the engine which I'll post here (I hope that is ok admin?)

Any help is much appreciated.

Dec

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-24 at 12.41.39.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-24 at 12.42.10.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-02-24 at 12.42.26.jpeg

Almost certainly looks like a discovery 200Tdi unit with no intercooler but defender high mounted turbo and manifolds. A defender 200Tdi has a slightly different timing case with a different injection pump position. A 300Tdi has a low mounted turbo and a single serpentine belt to drive the coolant pump, pas pump and alternator. A 19J is indirect injection and has a totally different looking rocker cover as the giveaway between it and a Defender spec 200tdi. If you look at land rover engines on Wikipedia it gives pictures of the different engines and you will see this is definitely not a 19J.

Just now, Sigi_H said:

Even the TD needs an intercooler to be thermically stable. Better than without.

I dont disagree, the OP doesnt seem sure what this engine is made up of so I was just mentioning that the manifolds are not 200tdi. 

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Having checked wikipedia (!) i was able to confirm things. I dont know enough about engines to assess whether or how to improve or upgrade this one (but i did get a chance to talk to a previous owner of the car who said that he has various issues like back pressure into the expansion tank, losing water and he thought there may have been some issues with the air intake affecting the turbo (?)); so I'm going pass on this one as there is a similar vintage with an original 19J with 100K on the clock which I'll have a closer look at. thanks agan everyone.

20 hours ago, reb78 said:

I dont disagree, the OP doesnt seem sure what this engine is made up of so I was just mentioning that the manifolds are not 200tdi. 

And i didn't say, that particularly THIS engine is a TD, but that the TD needs an intercooler too. Anyway, we both understood, what was meant 👍

Boost without intercooling is suboptimal for any engine

My understanding of an intercooler is that cooling the air makes it denser and therefore more air available for burning more fuel. 

It's often talked about  (particularly in terms of the 19J engine) of the thermal stress on piston crowns being reduced with an intercooler. I have tried to look this up in engineering journals and can find no published evidence of this. Can anyone point to anything that is published in an engineering journal? 

As far as i know, reducing boost temp for 10°C lowers EGT for around 50°C (without using the higher density for more power). I don't have a source for this, but it sounds plausible. I'd appreciate a source for that too.

Lower EGT reduces thermal stress for any engine and vice versa.

If i had a TD, a intercooler and applying an oilcooler would be my first steps

Yes that all makes perfect sense. It would be interesting to read about it in a journal. I'll keep looking. 

EDIT: I wonder with the 19J if the piston damage would be eliminated/reduced by simply fitting an intercooler and keeping all other variables the same or is something else going on?

Edited by monkie

3 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

As far as i know, reducing boost temp for 10°C lowers EGT for around 50°C (without using the higher density for more power). I don't have a source for this, but it sounds plausible. I'd appreciate a source for that too.

Lower EGT reduces thermal stress for any engine and vice versa.

If i had a TD, a intercooler and applying an oilcooler would be my first steps

They have an oil cooler, but its the same as the Tdi type - chamber in the side of the rad. Whether you could make it more efficient by using a different design would be worth looking at though.

Wasnt there a thread in the international forum recently talking about the drops in temp with a source?