Defender prices?

Escape

I know classic cars are getting more expensive by the year (should have never sold my Stag!) and Defenders even more so, especially with the new one seen as a pretender by many. So you know you'll pay a premium if you want an 'old' Defender. But surely this is taking it too far? I can only hope it's a typo with a zero too many. Or somebody who is forced to put his car for sale by SWMBO. 🙂

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1308730

Quite a few other LR ads with extremely high prices there, though none as funny as the one above.: https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1310501?utm_campaign=Broadcast | Tuesday Auction | 16%2F02%2F21&utm_term=01EN3C3VZC0SPYQB9BHTYXCGKY&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Car and Classic dealers&utm_content=None&_ke=eyJrbF9jb21wYW55X2lkIjogIlg1UUx4UyIsICJrbF9lbWFpbCI6ICJmaWxpcF92dkB5YWhvby5jb20ifQ%3D%3D I can kinda understand people paying £150k for a rebuild one with a V8, especially if it's one of the factory continuation series. But still...

I considered posting this in the Ebay4x4 thread, but I really don't fancy it and it certainly isn't cheap! 😛

Filip

1 hour ago, Anderzander said:

Their sold list is interesting :

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/results

I haven’t come across a Defender on there - quite a few Classic Range Rovers and Series vehicles - none for really big money, but weirdly the modified series seem to be getting the bigger money.

Frankly, looks a better place to get a land rover than eBay...

I believe the over inflated prices are a hype and are being spurred on by the odd belief that the somehow Land rovers have become valuable.  

I spoke with someone today who purchased a 90 3 years ago for 5k and now they're selling it for 8k according to the faceache group advice.  

It's a 200Tdi on a galv chassis with rot in the bulkhead at the usual spots.

5 years ago I paid £1500 for a 110 TD5, which was a good buy but it needed a little work to get it straight.

Nowadays that same truck would be up for sale for 7-8k?

Madness

• Like 1

16 hours ago, geoffbeaumont said:

Frankly, looks a better place to get a land rover than eBay...

eBay is awful for cars, last time I tried to sell one I got repeatedly mucked around. It's good for finding stuff, especially unfinished projects, and I found my current daily via eBay, but to actually sell a car Autotrader seems to work far better.

Some of those surely are misprints, with an extra zero accidentally inserted.  That first example I can see being worth £28k if it’s in as good condition as the photo suggests, but 280 makes no sense at all, even for the US market.  Even the Gucci rebuilds from LR are only half that, for a new condition, very special edition with bonkers engines all homologated and tested.  Misprint is the only rational explanation for those extremes.

But prices have been inflated for Defenders and Series vehicles, even SIIIIs are going for twice their realistic value.  Sellers are taking a punt and enough are winning that it’s inflating the market.  It’s a shame for real enthusiasts, as many of us will be unable to buy and some will be pressured to sell their vehicles and leave the hobby.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 9:47 AM, Anderzander said:

Their sold list is interesting :

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/results

I haven’t come across a Defender on there - quite a few Classic Range Rovers and Series vehicles - none for really big money, but weirdly the modified series seem to be getting the bigger money.

Here's a 90 defender that doesn't seem to be priced out of this world:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1990-land-rover-defender-knrNpn

Mike

• Like 1

At first glance it looks ok ^^^ but somethings aren't right. Its not a defender its a 90. Its not a turbo diesel  as advertised - I cant see a turbo anywhere, it looks like a 2.5 NA. The paint job is tatty - it used to be red and its a lot crustier than it looks having had a brush over with green paint. Look at the bulkhead 'repairs' - the corners look like they have been held on with rivets and silicone sealant! Worst of all, who knows what the vin really is, the last three (i think) digits have been neatly cut off of the vin plate on the brake servo! Proceed with caution I think!!!

• Like 3

Love this:

Owner bought it 2 mths ago to use as a daily driver but bought an armoured LR to use instead!

Can't see the mpg being good for that! Sounds like an excuse to hide the fact that it was not so useable?

3 hours ago, Troll Hunter said:

Here's a 90 defender that doesn't seem to be priced out of this world:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1990-land-rover-defender-knrNpn

Mike

What Reb says. Overpriced IMO. It's pretty rough with all the bits of peeling paint around and just looks like it's had a fresh spray over the outside and thats it. Still a 2.5NA as well. Which isn't a problem in itself, but definitely not a turbo! 

12 hours ago, reb78 said:

At first glance it looks ok ^^^ but somethings aren't right. Its not a defender its a 90. Its not a turbo diesel  as advertised - I cant see a turbo anywhere, it looks like a 2.5 NA.

Well spotted! But if it was a 1990, it should be a 200tdi, right? The NA not being sold for a few years. Makes me wonder what other inaccuracies the articles on that site may have. I mostly enjoy reading them, also to learn about different cars. But when dealing with cars I know little about, I wouldn't spot the faulty info and would assume all said is correct. So if I can't trust the info, it becomes rather pointless...

Filip

9 minutes ago, Escape said:

Well spotted! But if it was a 1990, it should be a 200tdi, right? The NA not being sold for a few years. Makes me wonder what other inaccuracies the articles on that site may have. I mostly enjoy reading them, also to learn about different cars. But when dealing with cars I know little about, I wouldn't spot the faulty info and would assume all said is correct. So if I can't trust the info, it becomes rather pointless...

Filip

Must be an ex mod one then I reckon? As they were still sold with the NA. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ballcock said:

Could it be ex military? would that explain the 2.5na, and is it the military green on the inside of the rear door?

I didn't know MOD kept using the 2.5NA. See, on this site I learn something. 🙂

If that's the case, maybe the author made the same faulty assumption I did, that a 1990 Defender would be a turbodiesel. Still not really an excuse, he should have spotted it in the pictures. Even if he didn't actually got to see the car, covid and all that.

8 hours ago, Escape said:

I didn't know MOD kept using the 2.5NA. See, on this site I learn something. 🙂

If that's the case, maybe the author made the same faulty assumption I did, that a 1990 Defender would be a turbodiesel. Still not really an excuse, he should have spotted it in the pictures. Even if he didn't actually got to see the car, covid and all that.

Yep, right up to the Wolf, where they finally accepted a Tdi wasn’t so powerful that they’d all crash and that it was reliable.  I suspect a lot more 12Js were crashed on the road because their lack of performance led to excessive “conservation of momentum”, ie not slowing down when the drivers should have!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Escape said:

Filip

1990 was TD and 200tdi didn't arrive in defender form till 92 from memory. EX military could have anything in it from N/A to retrofit 300tdi.

Mike

11 hours ago, Escape said:

Filip

The 2.5NA was available as a special order for some time. I have a 1991 90 with the 2.5NA that was ordered without the 200Tdi as the first owner considered the power and complexity unnecessary!

• Haha 2