Help with axle rebuild , stub axle and drive shaft issue

As far as i know, there are CVJ with different bearing diameters in the stub axle. Sounds like the diameter on the CVJ is to big. I believe the Oneten had a smaller diameter than the defender ones.

Maybe it is the wrong bush

Edited by Sigi_H

• 4 weeks later...

I am struggling finding  the right part number for the bush I need to resolve the problem above. Does anyone know the part number i need. 

the one shown above is this part  --  Stub Axle Inner Bronze Bush (Britpart) FRC4319 which has the small inside diameter. 

9 hours ago, ashtrans said:

the bush ID is too small on the britpart ones, we fit them to the stub axle then kiss the ID on a lathe so the CV drops in nicely

Dave

Date

Is this after they are fitted in the stub axle as mine fit fine out of the stub?

20 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

I had this problem with aftermarket (Britpart) bronze bushes years ago, changed to genuine ones and it fitted no bother.

How much of a difference is there in diameter? Could it be it requires reaming to size after fitting?

I also had this problem just the other year - had a nightmare with the Britcar getting them to believe me - I gave up in the end and just sent all the parts back and managed to source some ex military genuine stub axles with the genuine sintered brass bushes pre-installed.

14 hours ago, uninformed said:

What parts have you changed since pulling it all apart , when presumably, it was all working correctly? 

Bushes, Bearings, oil seals, gaskets and Rust , yes was all working. I will need to change the shaft (not the CV joints are the inner teeth are worn) but wanted to resolve this one first. 

And here is the diameter of the new bush I have bought from bearmach before I have pressed it into the casing . 6D547611-CBD4-4F7F-9A40-9AA5ACC5531F.thumb.jpeg.650edef6dd4b6b5f11b8a2feaab15efc.jpeg
as you can see the bush fits over the shaft nicely . Will be interesting to see if the bush inner diameter is affected by the process of pressing it into the casing . 

Glad you sorted it!

I had an issue with a Range Rover 10 spline axle which did turn out to be a case of two different seals and bushes, over a change over year, so I just had the wrong seal/part number!

It amazes me how manufactures can get parts so wrong! Do they not trial fit it onto the part it is meant to fit before plans go out the machine shop?! Or maybe it's not getting any feedback from the customer that it doesn't fit!

Steve