range rover sport 3.0 body removal without 2 post lift

carl lewis

Early versions of the Renault Espace and Pontiac TransSport required taking the engine out (from below) just to replace the spark plugs on the rear bank of the transverse V6. I know of someone who got rid of his Pontiac because of a misfire running on LPG and the cost just to check/replace the spark plugs...

As above, at least LR designed it so the body off isn't too bad. Even on the P38 it's not too much work.

Ross, having done some work on a D3 TDV6, I tip my hat to you if you've managed to change a turbo with the engine in the car. I could hardly were the turbo was hiding!

Filip

1 minute ago, Escape said:

Early versions of the Renault Espace and Pontiac TransSport required taking the engine out (from below) just to replace the spark plugs on the rear bank of the transverse V6. I know of someone who got rid of his Pontiac because of a misfire running on LPG and the cost just to check/replace the spark plugs...

As above, at least LR designed it so the body off isn't too bad. Even on the P38 it's not too much work.

Ross, having done some work on a D3 TDV6, I tip my hat to you if you've managed to change a turbo with the engine in the car. I could hardly were the turbo was hiding!

Filip

That’s along the lines of bumper coming off for a lamp change, Renault again I think? 

It wasn’t too bad once we realised the new turbo didn’t have studs sticking out and therefore we could cut the old ones off to get it out. 

I have pondered this one myself. I have used a forklift in the past to raise a D2 body but that was for scrap so putting the forks throught the windows is not appropriate here.

The A frame idea sounds like a possibility but would considder using a couple of very wide nylon slings used my vehicle recovery companies who recover cars with hiabs, The way I considered to do it, and I do have access to a fork lift, was to lift the body with jacks and support it as it goes up 

I will be very interested to see how this develops.

The problem with D3 ans RR Sprts however is the early ones are being scrapped because it is not worth the cost to replace the engine. Eveb for trade it isn't  viable

• Like 1

Just had a light bulb moment.

We are looking at this as a problem of lifting the body. It would be easier to lift the complete car up on jacks to a suitable height. Disconnect the body and then lower the chassis with the body supported.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, carl lewis said:

i imagine that one of the hardest parts of the refit will be perfectly re aligning the chassis to the body  for the mounting bolts(as i need to move the chassis for access ) and not snagging any cables 

Plumb bobs hung from the body mounting points will get you within the tolerance required, for sure.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, carl lewis said:

i imagine that one of the hardest parts of the refit will be perfectly re aligning the chassis to the body  for the mounting bolts(as i need to move the chassis for access ) and not snagging any cables 

Mark on the ground the positions of the wheels. I would think that will get you close enough. Just make sure the engine is at the front and the tow bar to the back though 🤣

• Haha 2

We've used floor jacks under both axles to make positioning the chassis easier when lowering the body on the 2-poster. If it's like the P38, the bodymounts allow for some misalignement and will pull things straight when tightened.

On 3/12/2021 at 9:02 AM, Simon_CSK said:

Just had a light bulb moment.

We are looking at this as a problem of lifting the body. It would be easier to lift the complete car up on jacks to a suitable height. Disconnect the body and then lower the chassis with the body supported.

This is the idea i used when i lifted the body off my 90. I have a 4 poster so lifted it up and then held the body up with poles across at the back and high lift jacks at the front until there was space for a pole at the front with the gearbox out of the way