Adding aircon to 300tdi Disco 1

Newuser

Based in the states, and looking to add aircon to a 300tdi auto disco 1 that didn’t have AC when new. I have found the belt system, mounting bracket, compressor, and condenser. 

I would still need the wiring, and the rest that goes inside the truck. 

Has anyone here ever competed such task? Cannot seem to find much info. Also, not sure if any of the US spec V8 stuff would work. 

OK Welcome to the forum.

The air con kit behind the dashboard is identical for both Petrol or Diesel vehicles.

The V8 has a valve to cut off the coolant to the heater matrix when a/c turned down to cold, the diesel doesn’t thats the only difference.
I’ve never looked at a D1 without a/c so hopefully the number of dash vents is the same, (for the early RR it wasn’t) you will require the a/c dash switches, that about it, wiring diagrams and relays are available,  most of the install will be mechanical

Years ago, early 90s, the LROi magazine converted a RR by transferring parts from a scrap RR standing along side, it took a week with two guys on the job.

They later suggested that an aftermarket a/c install is the way to go, something was available back then.

Anyway the best of luck removal of the dash, it looks challenging from what ive seen on the www.

9 hours ago, teabag said:

OK Welcome to the forum.

The air con kit behind the dashboard is identical for both Petrol or Diesel vehicles.

The V8 has a valve to cut off the coolant to the heater matrix when a/c turned down to cold, the diesel doesn’t thats the only difference.
I’ve never looked at a D1 without a/c so hopefully the number of dash vents is the same, (for the early RR it wasn’t) you will require the a/c dash switches, that about it, wiring diagrams and relays are available,  most of the install will be mechanical

Years ago, early 90s, the LROi magazine converted a RR by transferring parts from a scrap RR standing along side, it took a week with two guys on the job.

They later suggested that an aftermarket a/c install is the way to go, something was available back then.

Anyway the best of luck removal of the dash, it looks challenging from what ive seen on the www.

any idea where I could find the electrical bits?

You need to find someone who's breaking a D1 that had AC - Ironically I've got a scrap D1 with AC which is still in process of being stripped, unfortunately the present pandemic situation has stopped that and it wont happen for some time so I cant really offer you any bits. Having dismantled a few 300tdi D1's certainly the later ones - that harness was built including most of the functionality of the model at the time - I'd be taking a really good look at the harness in the vehicles to see if the wiring is already there. - then it should be a simple case of picking up the small loom to the compressor.

3 hours ago, Maverik said:

You need to find someone who's breaking a D1 that had AC - Ironically I've got a scrap D1 with AC which is still in process of being stripped, unfortunately the present pandemic situation has stopped that and it wont happen for some time so I cant really offer you any bits. Having dismantled a few 300tdi D1's certainly the later ones - that harness was built including most of the functionality of the model at the time - I'd be taking a really good look at the harness in the vehicles to see if the wiring is already there. - then it should be a simple case of picking up the small loom to the compressor.

It’s an early 94.