Tyres again

GBMUD

I have been carefully saving my pennies up so that I can have a new set of tyres for the Landrover. I run BFG MTs in 255/85 16. I asked at a local drive in tyre and exhaust dealer last week and was given what seems to have been a very keen price. I called a reputable 4x4 tyre dealer in the Surrey area this morning who said he could not come close to matching the price I was quoted. I also spoke to another well known tyre dealer in the Northampton area who would send them mail order for me to fit/get fitted locally. Their original quote was about the same as the Surrey dealer but upon hearing that they had been beaten by the local type and exhaust place they not only matched the price but beat it by £36.69 (for the set of 4). I prefer not to name the names publicly - other than Protyre, the local drive-in firm.

Now I do not know what to do. Get them delivered cheap and fit them myself (have access to the kit, hassle to do though), get them delivered cheap and fitted locally (not a huge saving, slight hassle), continue with plan A and get them supplied and fitted by the original garage - or possibly see if the Northants. dealer will fit them for the same price as delivery and talk SteveG into a day green-laneing to justify the extra fuel cost. :)

So the conclusion is; shop around and make sure you get the best deal, I reckon I could save over £120 just by asking three different firms.

Chris

If the local garage is local owned (not part of a big chain) then definately go there. Keep your money local and it will come back to you one day. Bear in mind that to have them fitted is going to be £20 (either paying someone or factoring someones time if done as a favour). Seems you wont be much more than £3 a tyre better off going local. Make sure you slip a few business cards to the owner when you go there. You never know what might come back to you..... ;)

If the local garage is local owned (not part of a big chain) then definately go there. Keep your money local and it will come back to you one day. Bear in mind that to have them fitted is going to be £20 (either paying someone or factoring someones time if done as a favour). Seems you wont be much more than £3 a tyre better off going local. Make sure you slip a few business cards to the owner when you go there. You never know what might come back to you..... ;)

Yes, local it is I think. If anyone wants 4 255/85 16 BFG MTs delivered for £395 and has not worked out which "river" valley they should be speaking to, PM me. ;)

Closer to your home, I bought British (Welsh?) Lamb the other day in preference to the much more visible New Zealand variety. Less food miles, cheaper and very tasty too. :)

Chris

Closer to your home, I bought British (Welsh?) Lamb the other day in preference to the much more visible New Zealand variety. Less food miles, cheaper and very tasty too. :)

Chris

:D well done Chris, every little helps. But if you think I am going to have a baby to return the favour you got another thing coming :hysterical: