2015 LR2 have I been taken advantage of?

paigelr2

Hi I have a 2015 LR2 and have had issues with it for a while. I am not a car guru so I do not know terminology or how ANYTHING works, so please bear with me!! Long story short:

• My turbo went out at ~40k miles and was replaced 2017
  • Check engine light kept coming on after replacement, dealership said a "computer malfunction" and "nothing was wrong" twice, stopped going back
  • Noticed no mechanical issues from 2017-2019
  • When idle, the engine starts running loudly, the car will shudder, and the RPM(?) needle will dip. Only happened rarely but in past few months it couldn't sit idle for more than 5 seconds without doing it, and thought the engine was gonna stop a couple weeks ago.

Found a local repair shop that only works on European cars (nearest dealership is 2+ hours away) This is what they said:

1. They couldn't find anything wrong just by looking at it and by driving it. Said they can't find an issue matching the codes it's throwing. I told them about my turbo. They asked if any black smoke came out of the tailpipe when it went out. No. They looked at it again and the next day and said the catalytic converter has to be replaced. $1,500.
  2. I asked them to take a look at the brakes while they were at it because they do squeal a bit, and have seemed to get worse in the past few months.
  3. They called me back this evening and said all four of my brake pads are bad ("2 credit cards thick, just about metal to metal"). To replace all four would cost ~$1,400. I told him I would give him a decision in the morning.
  4. I called another car repair shop that works on European cars they said for a 2015 LR2, 4 brake pad replacements with brake sensor replacement would be ~$800. Another place I found said they would call me back in the morning because their guy who could quote me had already left for the day.

I desperately need someone to advise me on this. I'm a 24 y.o. woman and really don't want the stereotypical "being taken advantage of by a car repairman" to happen. And of course my dad says he can order brake pads and replace them (he's an electrician but car repair is another language to me, I don't believe just anyone can do it). Can anyone advise on this? Is this an issue that can wait a few days while I get other estimates? Can it wait a month until my dad is back in town and can replace the pads?

Replacing brakes is very easy and can easily be done by your dad. Is that quote for just pads or pads and disks? If just pads, any of those figures are outrageous...
A set of front pads is £40. Rear pads £30. Even discs are dirt cheap. And it's max. 2 hours work. Not sure how they get to $800...

As for the engine, it could be possible the catalytic converter is at fault, and the O2 sensors are throwing the fuelling off. Or it's just the O2 sensors and they're trying to sell you a catalytic converter. Hard to know for sure.

Too bad it's hard to find a good mechanic out there. It could be worth trying to find your local Land Rover club, they'll probably know good places to go to.

• Like 1

its a pitty scotty has recently moved on from texas...

Pick up the phone and ask for prices of disks and pads - who is it scotty done a review on paddys - or some Irish name and autozone? or even go on line you can put your car into most sites to get the right parts.  that will give you an idea of parts then as said its a couple of hours work -not sure what the rate is out there.

if you like the LR2 join one of those clubs / get active on here and begin to understand the LR2 - you will get more out of it...

good luck

Too many bad mechanics don't stop and think about the reason why a code gets thrown - as elbekko says, a bad sensor reading could mean the sensor is faulty, it could mean there's a fault "before" the sensor or something else... their job is supposed to be diagnosing the real problem not just changing bits and hoping it goes away...

If you're willing you can learn a fair bit of this stuff (it's not actually very hard when you boil it down) which can help avoid nasty garage bills from lazy mechanics - and as suggested things like doing your own brakes are within the realm of basic DIY - these days there's videos all over Youtube about how to do brakes and oil changes etc. etc. etc.

Replacing things like sensors is very DIY-able too most of the time, and if the choice is between replacing a sensor yourself for $50 or paying a garage $$$ to muck you about it may be just as well to replace the sensor even if you aren't certain it's bad.