S3 1970 - standard springs maintenance

jessejazza

I need to replace my springs all round. Rear o/s cracked and others past their best. I was wondering what the best way was of providing maintenance to stop all the gunge getting into the leaves. Dosing regularly with diesel is one way I have read - just wondering what folk do. Ideally one needs to avoid attracting more dirt. [Decided against parabolics as I have come across a number of folk including a m8 who has had them crack.... and he didn't get his money back from Mountain when it changed hands.]

You can put leather wraps/gaiters on them, I shouldn't bother. Best left to the vintage Bentley set.

Motorcycle chain-grease works well. Designed to solidify it goes in like WD40 and sets as a water-proof tar. Driven most days, stock springs are fine. It's when they're left static for a few weeks, and then only given 100 miles, that they lock together and break. 'Stickion' gives chiropractics a good living.

I promise, used as intended, every few days, stock leaf-springs give a reasonable ride. If you've left them longer, run in some WD40 for kick-off, raise your backside off the seat, and hit speed-bumps at ever increasing speed. They've either move and get supple by 2000 miles, or break. Once moving... drive the thing - they'll stay supple. Leave them, and you're soon back where you started. Parabolic springs are better if you don't intend to drive anywhere, but might be rather self-defeating.

Regular use, on stock springs, works best of all.

Edited by Daan
Irrelevant comment removed, keep replies to the point; parabolics are not spelled like that.

Someone else's rules means,  our moderator considers tips for spotting fake Series Land rovers with a quick glance at the springs as irrelevant. And abhors the use of a dogberry for effect...

Thus it won't be detailed here, yet look at several leafers; more so, those in showground condition - you'll soon see the differences. No matter how clean it looks, no matter what your seller or owner says, those leaf-springs will refuse to hide the fact. Once you know what you're looking for, Land rover BS gets outed in seconds.

Happy hunting.

Edited by Landrover17H

3 hours ago, Landrover17H said:

Someone else's rules means,  our moderator considers tips for spotting fake Series Land rovers with a quick glance at the springs as irrelevant. And abhors the use of a dogberry for effect...

Thus it won't be detailed here, yet look at several leafers; more so, those in showground condition - you'll soon see the differences. No matter how clean it looks, no matter what your seller or owner says, those leaf-springs will refuse to hide the fact. Once you know what you're looking for, Land rover BS gets outed in seconds.

Happy hunting.

'Tips for spotting fake land rovers' So in your opinion parabolic springs result in  a fake land rover? I fail to see your logic, and it only reinforces your position of being on Mod approval.

We play nice here, people are free to fit what ever they like to their land rovers and if you don't go along with that, Your presence on this forum becomes rather pointless.

'Land rover BS gets outed in seconds' Your BS certainly does. 

Daan

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Daan said:

'Tips for spotting fake land rovers' So in your opinion parabolic springs result in  a fake land rover? I fail to see your logic, and it only reinforces your position of being on Mod approval.

We play nice here, people are free to fit what ever they like to their land rovers and if you don't go along with that, Your presence on this forum becomes rather pointless.

'Land rover BS gets outed in seconds' Your BS certainly does. 

Daan

Thanks Daan

I could make no sense of his post!

• Like 1

Jack it up on the chassis so the axles are hanging , it will help to open any space between the leaves . I would start this with a thin oil like WD40 to get into the space between each leaf. 

I'd then use ordinary engine oil and repeat regularly until you can feel it working , chain oil is very sticky .

just my opinion based on my experience 

Steve